#Types of (BL) Characters#

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

#Types of (BL) Characters#

Postby ChewFins » July 11th, 2015, 1:46 am

Hi, this is the first time I'm actually posting something here.
I have a bit of a difficulty, Oh-No not about the site!

It's more like 'easily losing interest' on the comics I make...which is really...a pain.
I just can't decide of a proper type of love story, since I'm a lazy cruel scumbag who fools a lot. Yeah!
So, I'm here seeking for opinions about what type of characters you guys tend to love & hate.
If you want to help little-poor-me, please leave a comment or a suggestion below.

That's all, thank you!

:ChewFins:
Last edited by ChewFins on February 7th, 2016, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChewFins

Re: #Types of (BL) Characters#

Postby eishiya » July 11th, 2015, 9:19 am

I apologize in advance if this is something you already know, but threads like this are a little worrying so I'm going to say it anyway:
If you write your story based on an opinion poll, it'll likely be something you won't love as much, and the result will be worse than what you would write otherwise. You'll probably lose interest even faster, too.

Instead of asking other people what they like, think about what you like.

Instead of thinking about character types, think about people. The BL genre is already full of bland stories that are written about characters who are no more than types, with poor character development because the authors don't think of their characters as people who do people things. Character types are useful if you're writing PWP, but if you're writing something with a plot, you need characters who act like people, not like types. Think about specific characters with traits (physical or psychological) that you find interesting, and think about how different characters with these different traits would interact. Do interesting things happen? Write the story about that. Does nothing interesting happen? Move on to the next idea.

If you're having trouble coming up with a story that you can get and stay excited about, then try writing something else. Maybe write a non-BL story, and if it starts to turn BL, let it. I find it's much easier to write romance when I don't set out to write romance, maybe you might too! And if it doesn't develop into BL - you'll still have a story you find interesting, and does it really matter if it ends up being different?

Another thing I find immensely useful is to stop writing for a while, and focus on learning new things. Look into anything you find even vaguely interesting, and maybe even things you never cared about. Jellyfish, 14th century English history, volcanoes, classic car collecting, anything! Learning about different things will make your brain think about them, and in the process of storing the new knowledge, it gets mixed with things you already knew, which can spark story ideas. Plus, the more you know about, the more you can use in your stories, and that makes writing a lot easier.
eishiya

Postby mitchellbravo » July 11th, 2015, 9:55 am

eishiya wrote: I find it's much easier to write romance when I don't set out to write romance, maybe you might too!

This is a good point. Characters seem to just spontaneously fall in love with each other after a while, kind of like how it happens in real life (except, you know, they're all ficitonal). It's wonderful and kind of creepy :lol:
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby ChewFins » July 11th, 2015, 10:46 am

HaHa, I see your point!

But I do think of my characters feeling though...my OFFICIAL characters.
I'm very strict in picking them too, but I get your idea.
I think stopping would be quite impossible for me
(considering I haven't updated for months!) But learning new things, guess I'll do that.

Thanks for your suggestion! Much appreciated mate.
Last edited by ChewFins on February 7th, 2016, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChewFins

Postby Solaran » July 13th, 2015, 3:10 pm

I couldn't agree more with Eishiya. Sure enough, if you go for a popular subject (BL, Pokemon, etc) you'll likely end up with a handful of fans right off the bat, but ask yourself what would be in it for you, the artist, except some fans who mainly favorite the comic because it features their favorite show / characters / subject / whatever. Smackjeeves has heaps upon heaps of BL comics that follow the exact same formula, which means if you go by poll popularity you'll simply end up being another needle in a haystack.

I'm not trying to discourage you from having your comic about a same sex couple (my own comic actually features two men who become romantically involved), but I'd try to stay away from the cookie cutter formula that so many other BL comics seem to follow. You can have a GREAT romantic story without resorting to the usual stereotypes.

Now, as for losing interest in a story, like Eishiya said, look for inspiration and write down whatever comes to your mind! It might take a while but if you put the time and effort into building up a solid story with great characters then you will find that it''ll be much easier to keep interest in the comic as it progresses. If you have a friend or partner you can talk plot and characters and such with then that is also a great way to get inspired.

In the end what matters is that you make a product that pleases -you-, not the amount of people who favorite your comic.

I wish you the best with your comic and I hope you'll have a lot of fun creating it!
Solaran

Postby davontekh » August 9th, 2015, 5:49 pm

totally agree with the above mentioned posters in the bl world there are many bland stories and characters through there are some interesting ones i just got finished reading a manga of a teen teaching a business man how to yo yo and how they fell in love thinking of situations and drifferent characters you wouldnot normally see in the types of stories you write and read is a good place to start probably make a list of the bl character types to avoid like the passive uke/seme and vice versa the nerd, ecetera
davontekh

Postby akemikae » September 13th, 2016, 4:39 am

eishiya wrote: I find it's much easier to write romance when I don't set out to write romance, maybe you might too!

It's scary how right she is on this one, actually. My current webcomic I'm working on didn't actually start out as a romance story between two boys, AT ALL. It started out as a comic I would draw, simply to practice drawing comics. It was supposed to be just a group of boys doing stupid stuff that got them in trouble. But alas, the characters formed their own mind, and they began to have a thing together. Now, that comic was never posted, cause it was mostly drawn in my room, and shown to about five people, but I digress.

Getting to my point. Just draw and write your characters how YOU would like them. Think of some of your favorite comics, be it a BL or not, and figure out what characters really stuck out to you in them, and why they did. Now, obviously, don't take a character and do it exactly the same. It's just a good method to figure out character development. Also, don't be afraid to throw some of you into your characters. I know it's considered taboo to make your character, EXACTLY like you, so don't do that. What I mean is take some of the things you enjoy doing, or even hate doing, and make that something one of your character's likes! Toss a bunch of this stuff amongst your cast! It makes it a lot easier to write passionately about that subject matter they enjoy.

It's hard to not write into a trope, especially when writing in the BL genre, but like it's been stated, that's just not going to make you stick out. Do what you enjoy, and have fun doing it. If people don't like your characters, well, they can read a different comic, in my opinion.
akemikae

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion