Suggest Some Comics To Me?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Suggest Some Comics To Me?

Postby Cherubas » August 8th, 2016, 7:32 am

Smack Jeeves is a fantastic site with loads of great webcomics, but having a bajillion of them to sort through is taking me a while. So, I've decided to make a post about it and maybe one of you fine people can help me find my new favorite comic!

I'll keep this relatively simple. For now what I'm looking for is something along these lines:

-At least one of the main characters (preferably the main character) is a male between the ages of 10 and 16.
-There's some form of combat, whether it's hand-to-hand, swordplay, magic battles, or shootouts.
-It's got an ongoing plot (as in, it's not a gag strip with a bunch of unrelated pages or something).
-It's in English.
-It's not made of sprites.
-Though not necessary, color is preferred.

And that's about all I require. Some pretty simple requirements, eh?

-I don't care if it's a BL comic.
-I don't care if it has romance at all.
-I don't care whether our hero is human or an alien robot-goat.
-I don't care whether or not it has blood.
-I don't care if it has strong language.
-I don't care if it has spontaneous boobs.
-I don't care if the main character wanders alone or becomes the 13th member of a hero guild.
-I don't care whether it's a drama or a comedy (though having at least some elements of both would be nice)

In true shonen anime fanboy style I like action stories with boys who are still struggling to find their place in the world and then are called upon by destiny to go do hero things. Avatar:The Last Airbender, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Naruto, even Ben 10 is an example of the kind of thing I'm looking for. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated and even if you've got nothing for me, thank you for taking the time to read this post.
Cherubas

Re: Suggest Some Comics To Me?

Postby Supahsnail » August 8th, 2016, 9:16 am

[deleted]
Last edited by Supahsnail on August 8th, 2016, 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Supahsnail

Postby Respheal » August 8th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Went through my library and here's the ones I can think of that are at least close to your criteria.

http://liarsgotoparadise.smackjeeves.com/ - Full disclosure, this is done by a couple IRL friends of mine. Main character's 18, but pretty close. It's a fantasy fish-out-of-water story where a high-schooler gets sucked into another world where he's the chosen one. Has some great characters <3 Combat is fairly sparse and is hand-to-hand so far (possibly some magic battles later on if I remember the novel right).

http://reset.webcomic.ws/comics/first - Not on SmackJeeves(!). Also the main character is a female, but she goes by Mike and honest to god might as well be a dude. A play on the story of Pandora's Box where Mike!Pandora makes a pact with the demons unleashed from the box and now has to seal them back in. Contains magical battles

http://demonroad.thewebcomic.com/ - It's a Legend of Zelda webcomic, and it's lovely! What more could you want? Doesn't yet contain much combat if I remember right.

http://vis-a-vis.smackjeeves.com/ - Technically it fits your criteria but it's pretty shoujo-like. Basically, high schooler with no backbone meets his delinquent doppelganger. Not combat heavy.

Mine kinda fits but all my characters are old farts.
Respheal

Postby Cherubas » August 9th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Not bad. Anyone else? Out of the many many many comics on this site there has to be... Like... At least 3 more that fit what I'm looking for.
Cherubas

Postby eishiya » August 9th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Cherubas wrote:Not bad. Anyone else? Out of the many many many comics on this site there has to be... Like... At least 3 more that fit what I'm looking for.

There are probably tonnes of such comics, recommendation threads just aren't very popular, and are often discouraged. They're not very interesting for most of the people making the recommendations, so many people skip threads like this. Sounding demanding is also discouraging, since you're already asking for people to do a service for you without anything in return.

Admin's working on some big changes for SmackJeeves that will hopefully make it easier to find comics based on more specific criteria, but that's still a ways off.
In the meantime, I think you can find a lot of comics to your interest with relatively little miscellany just by searching the site. Although the things you describes are rather specific, they're very common in action comics in general. So, just by searching for action comics, you should get a fair number of things to your taste.
A comic search restricted to Action, Full-Page, and Manga/American styles should give you lots of relevant results. Near the top is Minor Acts of Heroism, which sounds up your alley. I only read the first two chapters because I'm not a fan of that sort of story, but it seemed pretty solid. If you restrict the style in that search to just "Manga", you'll get fewer colour comics, but more comics with younger protagonists. Entering "boy" as a search keyword also restricts the search pretty nicely.
You can also check out the action comics people have been promoting in the Self-Promotion section.
eishiya

Postby Cherubas » August 9th, 2016, 7:24 pm

I apologize, I was unaware. I've been on some other sites dedicated to things like anime and people there love to recommend various series to other users. Similarly on sites like Newgrounds, Entervoid, even Youtube people are all too eager to share their opinions, so when anyone asks for recommendations they get a flood of responses. It's almost like a game to see who can come up with that perfect suggestion that the original poster didn't even know they were looking for. It also leads to interesting conversation between the various people posting. I did not realize that things were viewed differently on this site. Please know that while responses would benefit me, I wasn't asking just to make slaves of other users. I was asking so that users with similar tastes in action comics could chime in about a series they loved and spark some conversation and a little discussion. I was honestly hoping that by the time this thread had piddled out (which I figured would be after a page and a half or so) I'd have made a couple of new online friends, as I currently don't have any on SJ. I promise you that the fact that I "sound demanding" or seem like I'm "asking for people to do a service for me without anything in return" is the opposite of what I wanted. I was hoping to sound inviting and encouraging and, as I said above, give people a chance to gush about their favorite series and bump into other people into the same kind of adventures (me being one of them, of course).

I am truly sorry if I offended you. Though I've casually browsed comics on this site for some time, attempting to interact with the community on the forums here is still fairly new to me and I haven't learned all of what this site views as taboo. I will not attempt a thread like this again on this site.
Cherubas

Postby eishiya » August 9th, 2016, 7:56 pm

No worries, you didn't offend me and I don't think you offended anyone else. I just wanted to explain why you haven't been getting many responses.
eishiya

Postby mitchellbravo » August 9th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Cherubas, come post in some of the general discussion/forum games threads! Things are a little slow these days but those parts of the forum tend to be more active. We can definitely use more voices around here.

One way I've found comics I think I might like is by going to the smackjeeves profile of a comic I *do* like and scrolling down to the fan list. Now, there IS the "similar comics" widget, but that only gives you six options, and a lot of the time I find those comics aren't really what I would call "similar" for any metric I find important. But I go to the fan list and then just click on some random names down there, and when I get to those users' profiles, i scroll down to see the rest of THEIR favorite list.

Also, checking out the user profiles of creators of comics you like is also often promising. Not that people are narcissistic and only will "fav" comics that are like their own, but more- I dunno, if there's something you value in your own writing, you are kinda likely to seek it out in other people's comics, so I've found some good stuff that way.

And seconding eishiya, I don't think anyone's offended. I think the main issue is that threads like this tend not to actually lead to cool discussions, for one reason or another- people tend to do like, hit-and-run posting where they might just mention their own comic and *maybe* another comic or two, but if you then go on to comment or ask or want to discuss it, they don't come back. I'm not really sure why. I think it's because there's a sizeable chunk of the site userbase who only come to the forums to do self-promo posting, so they just drop their bags and run off again once they've posted. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing but it makes for kind of a one-sided discussion.

And again like eishiya mentioned, Admin is working on ways to make the site more navigable, since right now the search function is old & fairly clunky and has limited use.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion