Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Re: Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Postby Bella Roi » December 3rd, 2009, 5:39 pm

Personally I don't read something based on genre or style. That would limit my reading material far too much. I'm open to most anything, provided I like the art and the writing, and the artist. =x I can't read a web-comic otherwise. If the art is great but the writing is terrible, I can't get into the story. If the writing is great but the art is lacking, I can't get into the mood of the comic. If the artist is a total prick or an idiot, I have no respect for that person or his/her work, so I won't bother with it.

I do however have preferred genres that I work with, such as dark fantasy, horror and BL. Drawing gritty, dirty things (both in a sexual and non-sexual sense) is fun. But there is no 'best' for me.
Bella Roi

Postby Nymine » December 3rd, 2009, 5:53 pm

Bella Roi wrote:Drawing gritty, dirty things (both in a sexual and non-sexual sense) is fun.

Soooooo checking out your comics. Like Right Now. XD
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby Bella Roi » December 3rd, 2009, 6:14 pm

Nymine wrote:Soooooo checking out your comics. Like Right Now. XD

xD! Enjoy. In that way? :'D
Bella Roi

Postby friend » January 20th, 2010, 11:30 am

There is no best genre. Anything can be made to be fantastic, or sucktacular.

I once took part in a project designed to make the worst webcomics ever, by cliche after cliche. Maybe I should restart that here.
Arnold Friend
friend

Postby SuperBiasedMan » January 22nd, 2010, 10:42 am

friend wrote:I once took part in a project designed to make the worst webcomics ever, by cliche after cliche. Maybe I should restart that here.

DO IT
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2010, 12:20 am

I like gritty styled manga comics, such as Dogs, BLAME!, or Dolls. It appeals particularly to my sense of violence however the indepth storyline gives reasoning and practicality to it. Usually I enjoy drawing in that style or in a someone Other style spin off, off of manga, so it gives me more variety to experiment and go for something refreshing.

Postby vapidity » February 3rd, 2010, 10:51 pm

Hmm I tend to like art that is either cartoony and cute, manga, or realism. Cartoons I love because of their exaggerated style that makes them so expressive and fun! Manga I like because I find it to be aesthetically pleasing. And realism I like because.. it's more dramatic, I think.

However, I try not to limit what I read in regards to style, because I am always finding something different from my usual genre that pleasantly surprises me. ^^
vapidity

Postby ChrisH » February 7th, 2010, 7:24 pm

I'm more of a fan to traditional comic art.
Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, Bone, and Zitz.
Just like goofy fun art I've always been drawn to.
ChrisH

Postby Edgar the Alien » February 14th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Visually, I love any kind of comic that has an evidently different style that is both attractive and stands out. But sometimes looks is the least important part of why a comic is good. The writing of comics can be the deciding factor of whether or not it bombs, with dialogue in whether the characters have hilarious and different ways of speaking (exampli not-comic gratis: homestar runner), to just absurdities in the plot that make explaining the summary of the story to friends fun to do.
This is my party signature
Edgar the Alien

Postby xkrazydog » February 15th, 2010, 12:56 pm

I like almost all genres so long as its not a shallow pool of a story. Altho when it comes to Western comics, Maus will always be my favorite. It was just so very appropriate.

Manga styles i like if they lean towards more western style like Arakawa's style and Naoki Urasawa. I also love Seinen manga to death.
xkrazydog

Postby Porcelain Rose » April 13th, 2010, 9:18 pm

I don't think any genre is best. I think all genres have their merits and downfalls. However, I personally prefer to draw manga-inspired comics and to read Western comics (specifically what you may want to call "graphic novels"). I don't really like sprite comics all that much; I rarely see ones that are well done. Though in the end, what's most important is not the genre but that its well done. Whether something is well done is dependent on two factors: "storytelling" (in quotes cause some comics do not have a real plot or story, but still tell a story, if that makes sense) and aesthetics.

So yeah, that's my opinion >.>

Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. I always return the favor....usually :)
Porcelain Rose

Postby Loverofpiggies » April 13th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Really the only genre I have a grudge with is 'the pure romance' genre. Anything that is pure romance in nature, count me out. Horrible horrible genre unless mixed with others to stir things up, and even then I hate a focus on it. (unless done correctly, but alot of people fail at this)

I like anything with a story or a set of characters I find good. I'm very picky, but I think thats a good thing, because when I find what I want it ends up being AMAZING. <3

But my interests tend to lean more towards the dark/horror/psychological genres, because they're so screwed up. I LOVE screwed up things. But I'm willing to read/watch anything that sounds interesting, it doesn't have to be in those genres, but that is my preferred reading stuffs, and usually gets a much bigger rise from me then other comics.
Loverofpiggies

Postby UrbanMysticDee » April 14th, 2010, 1:15 am

I've probably written at least something in each genera, so I don't think any in particular is best. Looking at my body of work a pattern emerges revealing that I tend to venture into science fiction, horror, and (mostly) black comedy, not intentionally, that's just what I find easier (not necessarily more enjoyable). When drawing I try to develop a unique style for every story, though not always successful.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby Guest » May 15th, 2010, 4:50 pm

I'm going to be like many people and say that I don't think any single genre is "best." To me the message of the story dictates the form. When you start calling out the genre of something you really start to dismiss so much of the actual material, for example Watchmen would fit in the super-hero genre but is dealing with subjects radically different from spiderman or superman and Neon Genesis Evangelion is certainly more than another mindless mech anime. I personally do tend to enjoy comics that are based more on real life, comics that deal with political or social issues, and I tend to draw my comics that way, but when I still take the time to delve into other "genres" simply for the fact that they may be addressing something I'm interested in, just in a different way.

Really if there is anything I look for in a comic it's that it is doing something new and interesting with the medium.

Postby Guest » May 15th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Western style for me, but I am biased because of growing up on too much Marvel. My favorite artist is John Byrne. I like manga but I just can't get into the way the eyes are drawn, it throws me off a bit, but I'm not knocking it because I've seen some incredible art from that genre.
Attachments
BANNER.jpg
BANNER.jpg (19.98 KiB) Viewed 9183 times

PreviousNext

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion