Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Re: Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Postby Momentosis » May 15th, 2010, 5:19 pm

There is no best genre.

I don't even have a preferred genre.
Momentosis
Scrooge

Postby Anemia » June 3rd, 2010, 6:07 am

I like loads of different genres ;A;
I like Tank Girl the best, and Jamie Hewlett's style is not quite generic western, I don't know what to classify it as!

I do enjoy manga, western super hero comics, cartoon type stuff, hmm, most stuff!

The only genres I don't really like are sprite comics and furry stuff, I guess...

And I don't like badly CG'd western comics, even if the drawings are amazing, I prefer traditional stuff, really...
Anemia

Postby gun21 » June 3rd, 2010, 12:10 pm

Anemia wrote:I like Tank Girl the best, and Jamie Hewlett's style is not quite generic western, I don't know what to classify it as!

British punk fanzine stuff.

Personally I believe the best genre is American, because we were genius enough to come up with Power Girl. GOD WE'RE FUCKING SMART! MANGA DOESN'T HAVE SHIT ON US! NOT. SHIT.
gun21

Postby YukeeeSan » June 9th, 2010, 10:39 am

well i believe it is the best because if I DONT BELIEVE IT, WHO ELSE WILL?? O_O...

its like when you bake a cake, the first person who you will give the cake is nothing but yourself because if you dont like the taste and dont believe in what you did, how will you be able to convince other people??...

i guess it doenst matter what it is..as long as YOU first believe in yourself.. O_O
YukeeeSan

Postby weirdcrimetheater » June 10th, 2010, 7:59 pm

I don't believe the genre I've chosen is the "best" one in existence, but it suits the kind of stuff I like to write right now, and my art partner's current style. I actually like low-brow gag manga best (like Gaki-deka), but I would never attempt it.

KS

-------------------------------------------------------------
weirdcrimetheater

Postby Asj » June 10th, 2010, 9:08 pm

My favorite is fancomics. ^_^ Because fancomics and fanfiction are easiest for me to get interested in and to create. They satisfy my need of going beyond the original shows.
... my imagination = failure. >_>"

But, actually, I like several different types of comics on this site, besides just fancomics. I like story-based comics, usually somewhat serious but sometimes not so much (oh, and I usually like well-drawn ones), but besides that, there's a lot of interesting ones around. (unlike word-based stories, where I'm pretty specific about what I read - over at fanfiction.net, I pretty much only read stuff based on three shows I like, and mainly about either time travel or amnesia.)
Asj

Postby FluffBomb » July 29th, 2010, 4:17 am

I have only three requirements in order to enjoy a comic... and when I say 'enjoy' i mean fully and completely without having to endure anything.

1. Good story.
__If its good art just for the sake of art... what the hell... am I right?
2. Good language.
__The language in the word bubbles has to hold some level of intelligence in order for my brain not to groan and loose interest altogether.
3. Comprehend-able depth in the art.
__The art can either be so freakin horrible that its not even sort of following the rules of perspective/barely holds resemblance to the object/person its supposed to resemble (ack, gruesome)... or... the art can be fan-freakin-tastic but the way that its shaded/colored or the lack thereof just makes it a page full of squiggles and faces thrown somewhere in the midst of it all. I don't require the level found in some western comics - per se... but generally when the art leans in that direction it really helps.

Other than that, I don't really care what kind of art or 'genre' of comics I read. Normally the only thing that tips the scale is the way the eye is drawn... for example: Manga can be very good - I just hate particular styles where the eyes take up half the head and have those freakish curves indicating lashes.. those just sort of make me cringe.
Current Project:

On Hiatus:
FluffBomb

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Comedies are best because they give people luls.

Scenario: You get fired, and your car breaks down twenty miles away from your home. You head to your mother's house to find that it has been arsoned* by the Westboro Baptist Church because they heard her singing Poker Face at the grocery store. What's the only thing that helps? Luls.

*not actually a word

Postby cosmicmind » August 20th, 2010, 9:51 am

Personally I find the style of manga very pretty, the way it's drawn, the whole style of it, but I find I'm quite picky abd prefer a slightly more grown up style of drawing manga, rather than the big-eyed childlike variations. I also find people who draw in unique styles sort of halfway between manga and more comicky styles quite appealing.

As far as the importance of artwork in a story, bad artwork can more easily be forgiven than bad story, but as with everything it's better if the artwork's tolerable at least.
cosmicmind

Postby ewroin » August 27th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Momentosis wrote:There is no best genre.

I don't even have a preferred genre.

agreed.
ewroin

Postby NeoKitai » August 28th, 2010, 3:30 pm

I don't believe sprites are the best, I just believe they're simple to tell a story and for action scenes. I mean people can hate it, I am not disagreeing with humanity, but they're mostly underrated. Sadly.
cookieluv246 wrote:Neokitai doesn't understand the difference between a pineapple and a mermaid.
NeoKitai

Location: This way. No, that way. No, wait, THAT way. Or is it THIS way?

Postby chorvaqueen » September 7th, 2010, 11:39 am

not this....again.

Answer: None.
chorvaqueen

Postby Cookieluv246 » October 4th, 2010, 6:53 am

Is kickass characters a genre?
I so want that to be my genre.
Look at my Sketchbook
tezzle wrote:Because at the end of the day, isn't that what Christmas is all about?...Gay sex?

robybang wrote:OUTRAGEOUS! EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T SMOKE ON A SUBMARINE!
Cookieluv246

Postby sark » October 7th, 2010, 6:37 am

I dunno about best, but I love fantasy, magical realism, and scifi/specfic because you can explore touchy topics with enough distance from real life to get people to really think. Also, it's exciting.
sark

Postby Baka-chan654 » October 19th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Well, manga. I think it's osm cuz it's so kawaii!!! Just look at this (kk, so its a chibi. close enuff).http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/ff908645b528183650bfee5fc7667e6d_8308.jpgIt's Kagamine Rin and Ren!!! In PIKACHU COSPLAY!!! If you can look at this and not faint from its absolute cuteness, you're NOT HUMAN.
Last edited by Baka-chan654 on October 20th, 2010, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baka-chan654

PreviousNext

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion