Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Postby mosama » November 23rd, 2009, 12:19 pm

This isn't for heated debates and crosses of opinions and stuff, its for everyone to just state why they like there genre of comics so to almost convince others to give it a chance if they haven't already. Purpose being to unite each other and take a look into each others worlds and why we like the things we like. Just comment on what u like about yr genre (sprites/manga/westernamerican/-w/e) Just state yr own opinion, not on someone elses opinions, but on yr own genre of comic. The second we start quoting eachother and bein like 'YEA WELL THATS A STUPID OPINION' this will probably get locked, so make sure to be polite and just state yr own opinion on YOUR favorite genre of comics and why people should give it a chance.

(my own)
cartoonstylecomics: I like this genre because it appeals to my sense of humor the most and the storylines are so bizarre and unheard of sometimes that its just madness and i love me some madness. I also like that the character designs are usually completely unseen of an original with some artists.
mosama

Re: Why you believe your genre of comics is the best?

Postby TKGB_Cocker » November 23rd, 2009, 12:42 pm

I mainly like manga because I find most appealing to the eye. There is something about the way it is drawn that appeals to me very much.
TKGB_Cocker

Postby Evil Agram » November 26th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Anything done like Gone With The Blast Wave or TGSA

Stunningly beautiful. Good art doesn't detract from humor.
Last edited by Evil Agram on November 26th, 2009, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Agram

Postby Nymine » November 26th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Oo, fun topic. I honestly hate to conform to labels. Never sat right with me to have to do a certain thing a certain way simply because of an arbitrary title.

But! In the spirit of topic, I've chosen to do a western style type dealie, because its comfy. Like a well-used pair of sneakers. I've been reading Marvel/DC/Dark Horse ever since I was a kid, and the basic layout is easy peasy to plan, almost a no-brainer. This way I can pay more attention to meh art, both from the reader's perspective and from me putting it together. Ayup.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby Evil Agram » November 26th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Nymine wrote:Oo, fun topic. I honestly hate to conform to labels. Never sat right with me to have to do a certain thing a certain way simply because of an arbitrary title.

Awesome attitude. Too bad it's doomed by natural human tendency to conform to the labels we assign to ourselves. Just don't be a hipster and avoid all labeling, because that's just as silly as conforming to a label in its own way.
Evil Agram

Postby stelyu » November 27th, 2009, 10:20 am

I like the American Underground because of the fact it pushes the comics medium to its boundaries. Abstract art, incorporating the writing into the art, taboo subject matter -- all of it is stuff that mainstream comics and manga should take into consideration. Manga occasionally has nice stories (even if they are all too often uncreative) and mainstream American comics have stunning art, but experimentation is what allows the American Underground to produce a truly unique reading experience.

While I don't think I experiment intensely enough to be considered part of the American Underground, I truly look up to those artists and wish that I could produce something of that caliber. As long as I get my ideas out and get some work done, all will be for the best.
Taking stick figures to new heights!
stelyu

Postby Molly-sama » November 27th, 2009, 6:13 pm

TKGB_Cocker wrote:I mainly like manga because I find most appealing to the eye. There is something about the way it is drawn that appeals to me very much.

mmmm....this.

plus i like horror genre comics....they can still scare the crap outta me. unlike movies of this genre.
Last edited by Molly-sama on October 22nd, 2011, 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Molly-sama

Postby RetroDog » November 27th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Personally, I like doing a somewhat autobiographical comic. It doesn't have to be completely about my life, but it can be exagerated. My life simply isn't exciting enough to be funny. So I take anything that's funny in my mind, and make a comic about it. So I think it's easy for people to do, especially when they don't want to do a comic that's heavily story-driven. Just random things in you life that you say "now how do I add a joke to this?" Plus, everyone's own unique art styles can be displayed in them. Originality both writing and art wise is what draws my attention to a comic.
RetroDog

Postby JCM » November 29th, 2009, 4:24 pm

I have no favorites.
JCM

Postby Afrohawkman » November 29th, 2009, 4:42 pm

JCM wrote:I have no favorites.

This. Story's all the matters to me. Art certainly helps, but a good story can rope me in no matter what the comic looks like.
Afrohawkman

Postby monotar » November 29th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:

This. Story's all the matters to me. Art certainly helps, but a good story can rope me in no matter what the comic looks like.

I second this, if you can tell a truly good story the artwork doesnt matter.
monotar

Postby Loom » November 29th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Genre. A category of artistic composition, as in art or music or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form, or content.

For me, there's no such thing as a best genre; there's only best among the genres.

-------------------------------------------

But as far as personal taste goes, I gravitate towards the cinematic paneling styles of seinen mangas and noir/detective american comics. I like gut-wrenching facial expressions and good panel flow.

I think shounen manga is an awesomely powerful genre because it hits its target audience so well. Little boys collect everything and buy all the merchandise; so I respect how lucrative this genre is. Plus, because it is so so so competitive, the action scenes in the "cream of the crop" tend to be the "bread and butter" winners and quite are amazingly dynamic and feature lots of interesting movement and cool distortion techniques.

EDIT: More two cents. I think in comics, good artwork does matter, because it relies on meshing good artwork with words. That's the whole point of comics, for me. Art + writing. If I want pure story, I read books, and I love many books as well of all different genres. That said, I do put lots of stock in story too, and I have been known to read comics with under-average artwork for story. On SJ, this is kinda moot point, though, because everyone's developing. I'm more lenient about what I read here and look for glimmers of artistic talent + story to enjoy. :D
Last edited by Loom on November 30th, 2009, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loom

Postby avian-reader » November 30th, 2009, 1:48 am

monotar wrote:
Afrohawkman wrote:

I second this, if you can tell a truly good story the artwork doesnt matter.

Thirded. I love storylines, they're how I judge most media, not just comics.
Got questions about autism? Feel free to ask :)
avian-reader

Postby gLottis » December 3rd, 2009, 5:20 pm

Not all comics even have storylines, some just small punchlines or jokes..completely non contextual to anything. Personally those are my favourites not only as an author but also as reader due to the huge variety you can enjoy and the jokes are normally funnier!

Tbh...i dont even draw anything in my comic, its all just writing with photos....what genre does that come under?
gLottis

Postby Seven Rain » December 3rd, 2009, 5:27 pm

Agram, I've gotta thank you for posting that TGSA page. Just looked it up and by the third page I can already tell it's completely awesome. :D

*EDIT*
Checked out Gone with the Blastwave... Love that too! XD
Last edited by Seven Rain on December 3rd, 2009, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic-ock wrote:
Tacbot Unit-89 wrote:Wheres the swear jar.

Look, I'll say whatever the HECK I want whenever I dingle DARN well please!
Seven Rain

Next

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion