Question! Please answer honestly !

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Re: Question! Please answer honestly !

Postby NillaWafer » September 12th, 2015, 8:36 pm

To answer your question, there are no original plots. It's all been done before. All of it. The only difference is in how one presents the material.

Of original works, I like comics that have well-developed characters that are both expressive and layered. A sense of who they are, how they respond, and what their initial reactions are. Plots are plots. There are no new plots. One thing, I really despise "original" works that are simply fan-works with the numbers of the original work filed off. Nothing gets under my skin faster than an "original" story about Greek gods. This is not original work. There are no original characters. It's dishonest. End of story.

Here's a quick tip: most popular comics are popular because they *aren't* original. They're slightly different material arranged in a way that the reader expects without shoving it under their nose that they've read it before.

Of fan comics, I can tolerate some OOC, but not the Mary-Sue fic. It's kind of sad and pathetic. Have a situation that you'd like to see your favorite characters negotiate? Fine. Have them break down and finally say what you've wanted them to all along? Great! I love the drama! I'm there as long as it holds my interest and makes me laugh. Write yourself in as the main character's love interest? I'll vomit all over your table.

I like fan-comics because I like being a fan. <shrug> Most people, their ego can't take being second to anything, but I really don't mind. In the end it's all about your own expectations and if you can accept the things you didn't forsee. I like comics in general because I get to see the little differences that make each author unique. If I liked formulaic crap that treats me like a mindless zombie with pockets full of endless cash lapping up the same drivel they've produced for millenia to ease the suffering of the masses, I'd read the commercially available faire.
NillaWafer

Postby sevenherestien » January 27th, 2016, 7:38 am

Nothing is really original actually. Every story is based on any previous story before. And You can see even movies like hunger games, maze runner, insurgent etc have something in common.

But honestly, I don't like fan art story. Because I am used to the author's writing/drawing style and storyline, people making a sequel from it, kind of ruining it for me and it isn't that much creative, so yeah, original is better because you will get something more unexpected
The Violet Sun: Medieval Fantasy
sevenherestien

Postby mountainya » January 27th, 2016, 4:28 pm

I like fan comics if they're one offs, but otherwise, I don't really. Original stuff is usually better
mountainya

Postby Fukairi » January 27th, 2016, 5:53 pm

I used to be really big on fancomics when I was 15 or so, but nowadays I can't find them interesting no matter how much I like the series they're based off from. Goes for me too, I very rarely draw fanart because I'm just not interested enough to do so.

So original definitely
Fukairi

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2016, 10:32 pm

I like some fancomics if it's about a series I know and can give it meaning (if it's a ship I ship then I'll definitely read it xD). But when initially searching I really would prefer an original story with new characters I would give more priority to finding a good interesting story

Postby SableCarmela » May 14th, 2016, 5:54 pm

I think it honestly depends on the person. (and what they're after in the reading) Fan-comics can be fun but, I honestly like original pieces that suck you into the story~ *happy thoughts*
I am a combination of Ideas and a child of fables. I create so you can have stories and lessons to absorb and live in while you allow your mind and soul to relax.
SableCarmela

Postby cloverthegreat » May 17th, 2016, 12:02 am

Heck, I don't like a lot of official comics of properties, especially video game stuff. I dunno, a video game or video game series should be self-contained and when you transfer that stuff to a comic, you lose a lot of information and the immersion that comes from playing the game itself is gone.

NillaWafer wrote:
there are no original plots. It's all been done before. All of it.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I don't entirely agree with this. There are basic archetypes that nearly every story follows, but by the time you generalize plots to the point where they're all the same the generalization itself becomes meaningless. Human thought and philosophy has changed over time and as a result our stories have too. At the same time it's a good statement to go by, especially for writers who are just starting out. It's easy to confuse overdetailed rehashes and originality.
cloverthegreat

Postby UnlimitedMagic7 » May 17th, 2016, 1:21 am

I used to hate fancomics, beacause "you should spend your time creating an own story instead of using someone else's characters"... but look at me now: I'm making a fancomic myself! For me personally, it's a great way to practice drawing. I read fancomics as well, but if the characters feel too "OOC" for me, I usually don't continue.

Original stories can be very good, but I noticed that I'm having trouble with finding ones that really speak to me. I'm definitely not saying that all original comics are like this, but I have the feeling that a lot of them have somewhat boring characters. That usually isn't the case in fancomics, so I tend to prefer those.
UnlimitedMagic7

Postby Darksh1ne » August 28th, 2017, 3:57 am

I mostly read comics with original ideas, but I can't say that fan comics can't be great. I know a couple of great World of warcraft based comics, so those, I suppose, count as "fan". If a setting is rich and leaves place for imagination and new interpretation - sure, why not?
Darksh1ne

Previous

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion