Question! Please answer honestly !

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

Re: Question! Please answer honestly !

Postby QueenMaureen » July 3rd, 2012, 7:23 am

Both~ but I like original stories more
QueenMaureen

Postby ChainsawAdams » July 3rd, 2012, 1:45 pm

same here, I put allot of thought into the story but unfortunately I lack the artistic talent to really draw in readers. It seems the most popular comic types right now are manga and sprite comics.
"You can't stop the signal Mal... You can never stop the signal."
http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=107498
ChainsawAdams

Postby Annausagi2 » July 3rd, 2012, 2:27 pm

I guess I can like both, but I prefer original stories.
Annausagi2

Postby Jump » July 8th, 2012, 9:45 pm

I prefer original.
Jump

Postby Disturbed Goth » July 17th, 2012, 8:11 pm

100% Original. I really dislike Fan-fictions/comics. Original is original, enough said. I have no interest on the interpretation someone else has on a canon story.
Disturbed Goth

Postby AshenSkye » August 4th, 2012, 1:21 pm

I prefer original material, but there are one or two fan stories I read.
[ Just Another Day ][ Etsy ][ Ko-fi ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
AshenSkye

Postby Sieryn » August 4th, 2012, 1:52 pm

I tend to like original stories much more. Sometimes fan comics have such a detailed au and plot I'm left rather confused why it wasn't original in the first place. :< I still enjoy them though, I just feel like it could've been even better
Sieryn

Postby Jazmyne » August 5th, 2012, 12:43 am

I prefer comics with original characters and plot more then fan art comics.
Jazmyne

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2012, 2:38 am

Both.

Postby Ciro » August 5th, 2012, 4:03 am

It depends. A comic like Mokepon is unique because it have it's own plot and characters, unlike Nuzlocke comics. They can be funny, but they all have the same goal, I really can't understand why there's so many of them.

The thing is, you can be creative using other series content.
Ciro

Postby ZephyrPrower » August 8th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I skimmed through this, and it seems an overwhelming landslide majority favor originals.

I for one rarely get hooked on original material - I'm not exactly sure why. It might be that I expect so much more from original comics in order to be interested. If the universe is original, is that interesting? Are the setting and time interesting? Is the way in which the world functions interesting? Are the characters individuals that get me attached to following their life? Are any of them someone I can connect to? How's the art? Is it in a style that both suits my tastes and suits the comic? And the list goes on and on. Hence why I rarely find any entirely original work that interests me.

And more often than not, I want more of the things I already like. I also am heavily influenced by nostalgia. I'm a big Metroid fan, and I'm constantly seeking more Metroid lore to study/analyze. I'm also a big Sonic universe fan, since it was one of the games that I became most attached to as a child - particularly Tails.

What I enjoy the most is finding very well-made plot expansions using the settings or characters I have already grown attached to. But it's also key for it to not go against anything already established as canon. As for character personalities not entirely accurate, it REALLY depends on the setting and backstory portrayed and whether the changes in personality are reasonable.

Now, of course, that's not to say I don't enjoy original material at all. It's just far more rare for me to dedicate the time to forming a connection between me and the webcomic if I'm not already inclined to think I'm interested.

So yep, webcomics that re-use characters or settings actually stand a somewhat better chance with me if it happens to be something something I already like.
Fire Prower: Updates every Monday and Friday at 12:00AM PST/PDT!
ZephyrPrower

Postby SovereignSavage » August 12th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Original, for sure; unless I get a random craving for a non-canon ship or something, I don't think I'd ever really pay much mind to a series based off of something that already exists. I'd rather see the kind of worlds that the artist has made his/herself :)
SovereignSavage

Postby Jactance » September 15th, 2012, 7:35 am

It depends. I can love fancomics, but I get very picky over quality.
+18
Jac's Portfolio

An ultimate newbie of this site and webcomicking.. -w-
Jactance

Postby corruption » September 27th, 2012, 9:22 pm

LuluPanda wrote:Coca cola stayed original for a reason

New Coke, Coke Zero, Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke, Lime Coke, Diet Coke. Need I say more except some are still around?

I like original comics overall, if they are well made. However, often the comic is lacking in different areas. These include characters, plot, background rules for the world and more. Fan comics have them for anyone who has seen the series they are based on.

I have come across fancomics that have well made art, characters and plot (as far as I can tell), but since I have not seen the original series, I have no idea what is going on, in most cases, since they tend to rely on your prior knowledge of the series.
When I have come across one based on a series I have seen, I can enjoy it much more.
One exception is And Shine Heaven Now which is now over. I had never seen the anime of Hellsing when I first came across it, put the background was worked into the story wonderfully. It also drew in characters from many other anime, some of which I have not be able to identify yet, but it was seamless to me as no background was needed. Heck, they even worked Calvin and Hobbs in, as well as Madeline!

Sieryn wrote:I tend to like original stories much more. Sometimes fan comics have such a detailed au and plot I'm left rather confused why it wasn't original in the first place. :< I still enjoy them though, I just feel like it could've been even better

I believe this part will help answer that for you

Making fancomics can actually be easier to make, as the background, characters and basic plot are already made. I recommend it for beginners as having that acts as a good basis to work on. Something like "what is this character do in this situation?" only requires thinking about what a character would do. Same with the "What if?" question. Some people stop at this stage and stick here.

In something like Pokemon, you look create some other characters, with the same motivations, goals and so forth and run them on the same basic plot. Others stop here. Others manage a new plot entirely. A few create new characters entirely for the main cast. However, they have not created a new world, and thus do not have to deal with the hassle that can cause.

The next step is to come up with a new world. That requires a fair bit of thinking, and does not have the sure readership fancomics almost always get. It also requires working the background of the world into the story. In a fancomic, you normally don't have to, since your target audience already knows it.

Basically, fancomics can be a useful learning tool which get heavily abused by people without many original ideas in their heads but who want to make a comic anyway, a work of joy where the creator shows their love (or hate and mocking) for a comic (talent may vary creator to creator), or something people do out of boredom.

Some fancomics are wonderful. Others are the comic counterparts of excrement that has been vomited up after a human toilet.

Original comics can be good or bad as well. It is just that not as many people are willing to look at a terrible original comic as they would at a comics just as bad that features Ash from Pokemon trying to capture a werewolf Edward in a Pokeball. (For the love of all that is considered halfway decent, no-one make this! In fact, I am claiming this idea right now, just so no-one can make it! I sure as hell know I won't be using it.)
We are all corrupt in our own ways
corruption

Postby VanSavesLives » September 27th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Without judging the content of either, because original and fan stuff can be both good and bad, but I think that Original comics are a better idea.
VanSavesLives

PreviousNext

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion