Manga you're currently reading

Can't get enough of the Japanese-inspired art form? You've come to the right place.

Re: Manga you're currently reading

Postby Glueckskeks » February 4th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Manga I'm currently following are Haikyuu, Tomo-chan wa onna no ko, Tanaka-kun wa itsumo kedaruge and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. And I guess Koimonogatari, but that updates very rarely. The things I read regularly are mostly lighthearted stuff since more serious themes get to me easily, so I only read those when I feel like it.

I'm really enjoying Haikyuu even though sports manga are normally not my thing. Furudate's character work is really amazing. They develop the characters and team dynamics really well, even for opponent teams that are only around for a short time. And there's mostly no tired Anime stereotypes and the games stay fairly realistic, which I'm grateful for.

Tomo-chan updates daily, so it's something nice and fun to look forward to every day. I wasn't sure if I'd like it since the premise is that a tomboyish girl has a crush on her male childhood friend and tries to get him to see her as a ~real girl~ or something. What makes it enjoyable to me are her two friends who try to help her out and how their differing personalities clash. The parts that involve the guy tend to be pretty boring, but the girl interactions are really fun.

Tanaka-kun is a really sweet series about a super lazy guy and his close friend. I like all the characters and it's very slow and relaxing to read.

And Nozaki-kun is one of my favourite series overall. It's genuinely original and hilarious and remains funny even after rereading it multiple times. The artwork is really good as well
Glueckskeks

Postby eishiya » February 5th, 2017, 7:17 pm

I recently started reading Tokyo Ghoul. I'm not that far into it yet, but I'm enjoying it! I was expecting the usual "recently-infected person hunts down the monsters" trope, or perhaps the "monsters are just misunderstood" trope, but it's neither. Both sides are awful, both sides are good, and everyone has a bad time. I like the slower pacing; not a lot of manga get to devote an entire chapter just to showing the main character can't eat most food.

I've also been getting through my stack of 2009 Asuka magazines. So many comics I'd love to read more of, but alas, all I have is these few issues. Thankfully there are quite a few one-shots and short stories! ...of which I've skipped half because they looked like rubbish ._. Oops.

Edit: Just my luck - found a comic in which I actually quite like the art, and which is only 7 chapters long... and I only have the first 6 chapters in my magazines :| The tankoubon is out of print and the comic isn't licenced or scanlated.
eishiya

Postby JoKeR » February 7th, 2017, 11:03 am

eishiya wrote:I recently started reading Tokyo Ghoul. I'm not that far into it yet, but I'm enjoying it! I was expecting the usual "recently-infected person hunts down the monsters" trope, or perhaps the "monsters are just misunderstood" trope, but it's neither. Both sides are awful, both sides are good, and everyone has a bad time. I like the slower pacing; not a lot of manga get to devote an entire chapter just to showing the main character can't eat most food.

Oh yes Tokyo Ghoul ...very good story and art work ...but somehow I forgot to read more. I totally quit reading manga in the last month and looked more for web-comics. But thanks for the reminder.

Oh and if you like shorter stories Lost Seven has only 21 chapters ...the story is not bad and the artwork very nice.
Author:
Nakashima Kazuki
Artist:
Ko Yasung

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby featherpencil » February 8th, 2017, 1:06 am

Inu Yashiki is this really cool zero to hero manga. It's a bit depressing and rage-inducing at times, but the story is really worthwhile :3
featherpencil

Postby Scarlet Salamander » April 24th, 2017, 10:05 pm

I'm currently reading Assassination Classroom. It's really good, the story is interesting, and the characters are very well written. Plus, it's hilarious!
Scarlet Salamander

Postby z3ir4m » April 26th, 2017, 9:51 am

Re-reading Ghost in the Shell for the 4th time (first chapters are pretty harsh to follow...) and reading Radiant (from Tony Valente).

Waiting for Lost Sahara volume 2 (from Allan Heller)
z3ir4m

Postby TheJGamer » July 20th, 2017, 6:37 pm

I really want to start reading Haikyuu. I read some volumes in my Barnes and Noble nearby, and holy crap, it looks awesome. I've loved reading sports manga (Diamond no Ace, Ashita no Joe and Slam Dunk), and I just wanna say that Haikyuu is going to be awesome.

if only they had haikyuu volumes in the library...

I've also been reading Major lately online, and it's great. The main character, Goro Daimon, plays baseball and goes for the majors after his father Honda is killed by a pitch thrown by Joe Gibson, a pitcher from America. Character development is a big part of the manga since Goro grows up throughout the manga, making many arcs in the story (5-year-old, 9-year-old, adult, etc.) Overall a great sports manga.

EDIT: Started watching the Haikyuu anime. It's AWESOME so far.
Last edited by TheJGamer on July 27th, 2017, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just some kid who likes to draw and sprite. Thinking of starting a comic and actually sticking with it.
TheJGamer

Postby CuteLilPlum » July 20th, 2017, 9:53 pm

well right now im waiting for the next update for Skip beat, Shokugeki no soma, Love so life, etc but i been reading alot of romance but my gerne go out of control lately...
CuteLilPlum

Postby z3ir4m » July 24th, 2017, 2:47 am

Currently reading:
- One-punch Man (the japanese translated releases... because I can't wait...)
- Double.Me (a french manga which makes me curious of how this will continue...)
- Radiant (french manga, classic nekketsu, but pretty well made for now...)
- Lost Sahara (french manga, made by a acquaintance whom teach me some stuff about scenariis)
- Green Mechanic (french manga made by a winner of the few french contests we have...)
- 20th Century boys (because I want them!)
- Ghost in the Shell (actually 2nd volume, pretty good...)

That's all for now
z3ir4m

Postby tentacletomato » August 29th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Junji Ito's Tomie. It's interesting, it sort of reminds me of the things I want to do with my comic. There's some subtle feminist/japanese society statements in the work, but it isn't preachy, pretty well thought out actually. His linework is so clean! I'm jealous, it's everything I want my inking to be.
tentacletomato

Postby MK_Wizard » September 22nd, 2017, 9:11 pm

I have not read manga in forever. Though the last one I remember reading is Mermaid Saga by Rumiko Takahashi. The same author of Inu Yasha I believe. I did not get into Inu Yasha, but Mermaid Saga got my attention because of its obscurity and the unique dark side of immortality. It is really underrated in my opinion and if any old manga deserves a reboot and new volumes, it is that series.
MK_Wizard

Postby thelordbaeron » March 30th, 2018, 8:48 am

Still reading Berserk. So, in other words, I read about a chapter every 1-2 years.

:(
thelordbaeron

Postby xwx101 » August 24th, 2018, 11:44 pm

I have been reading dead tube but caught up. It's taboo, and gruesome, and yes, it takes things a bit overboard. But it's still an action shounen.
Back at it, hoping to get it right this time. :)
xwx101

Postby GreenRaptorStudios » August 25th, 2018, 2:36 pm

I haven't picked up much new stuff. I'm trying to finish off the Naruto series. I have all the books at my disposal, just gotta read through them. If you want to count them I am reading through W.I.T.C.H. which is more Disney, but it does have manga elements.
GreenRaptorStudios

Postby maelstrom51210 » August 25th, 2018, 4:33 pm

I've started re-reading Dragon Ball (original version, not Z) again for like, the third time. It's just so weirdly relaxing.
maelstrom51210

PreviousNext

Return to Manga