Spriting question

Share your 8-bits of thought here.

Spriting question

Postby Kuragari » November 8th, 2012, 9:31 am

I'm looking to get back into spriting, but I'm wanting to be able to make comics easily and quickly. Of the programs folks use, what is quite possibly the easiest and simplest to use and doesn't necessarily require one to go through a bunch of tutorials?
Kuragari

Re: Spriting question

Postby Bre Ishurna the Wolf » November 8th, 2012, 10:09 am

It's easy: MS paint (resizing) and Paint.Net (Effects)
Everyone herps and derps sometimes!
Bre Ishurna the Wolf

Postby Mundius » November 8th, 2012, 10:54 am

Once you learn it, Photoshop is an irreplaceable tool. It doesn't take that long to learn the basics, and it does work that MS Paint WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO.
Image < An abuse of the popularity and abundance of Boy Love comics, surreal
Mundius

Postby --Floob-- » November 10th, 2012, 8:42 am

Mundius wrote:Once you learn it, Photoshop is an irreplaceable tool. It doesn't take that long to learn the basics, and it does work that MS Paint WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO.

Yes, but it costs a buttload of money. I personally use MS Paint, Paint.net, and Powerpoint 07 (yes, as in Microsoft Office) and that gets the job done pretty well. In my experience, MS Paint can be used for more than just copypasting sprites into a comic. Heck, MS Paint Masterpieces was made entirely without Paint.net, Photoshop, or anything else.

So you shouldn't need to go out and spend a kajillion dollars on Photoshop.
--Floob--

Postby Ddraigeneth » November 10th, 2012, 9:30 am

Bre Ishurna the Wolf wrote:It's easy: MS paint (resizing) and Paint.Net (Effects)

Along the menu bar in Paint.NET, you can turn off anti-aliasing so that you can resize them without getting the blurred effect. Assuming that's why you use two separate programs.

Paint.NET is completely free and lets you do more than MSPaint because it has layers and transparency. I prefer using Paint.NET over Photoshop for spriting, mainly because of the reason I just mentioned above, and because I like their pencil tool better. If you want to resize the entire image and keep it looking pixelated, just change the Resampling setting to "Nearest Neighbor."

The only odd quirk with Paint.NET is that it will move transparency along with whatever you have selected. If you're trying to make something overlap and this is a problem, just select whatever you need, then use the Magic Wand tool to Subtract the transparency from around it.

MSPaint can be used to do some very impressive things, but the main reason they're impressive in the first place is because they're made in MSPaint. You can learn to work around its limitations, but if you're trying to do something quickly and simply, there are better free options.
Ddraigeneth

Postby Mundius » November 10th, 2012, 10:22 am

Ddraigeneth wrote:Paint.NET is completely free and lets you do more than MSPaint because it has layers and transparency. I prefer using Paint.NET over Photoshop for spriting, mainly because of the reason I just mentioned above, and because I like their pencil tool better. If you want to resize the entire image and keep it looking pixelated, just change the Resampling setting to "Nearest Neighbor."

Photoshop does all that (except the free part) and now it does 3D rendering and proper animation. So, want to do an animation for a page? You can do that with Photoshop. (Maybe with Paint.NET if you get the right plugin)
Mundius

Postby Ddraigeneth » November 10th, 2012, 10:39 am

Mundius wrote:Photoshop does all that (except the free part) and now it does 3D rendering and proper animation. So, want to do an animation for a page? You can do that with Photoshop. (Maybe with Paint.NET if you get the right plugin)

I have yet to find an option to preserve hard edges when resizing a selection, though it may vary depending on the version you're using. Regardless, it's not a choice for most people unless they're willing to download it illegally. I currently use Photoshop Elements 8 because it came bundled with my Wacom tablet.

Paint.NET also tends to save PNG's with a slightly smaller filesize than Photoshop, even if I'm just opening the image and resaving it.
Ddraigeneth

Postby Mundius » November 10th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Ddraigeneth wrote:
Mundius wrote:Photoshop does all that (except the free part) and now it does 3D rendering and proper animation. So, want to do an animation for a page? You can do that with Photoshop. (Maybe with Paint.NET if you get the right plugin)

I have yet to find an option to preserve hard edges when resizing a selection, though it may vary depending on the version you're using. Regardless, it's not a choice for most people unless they're willing to download it illegally. I currently use Photoshop Elements 8 because it came bundled with my Wacom tablet.

Paint.NET also tends to save PNG's with a slightly smaller filesize than Photoshop, even if I'm just opening the image and resaving it.

Look for Preferences in PE (I use Photoshop CS6E, so I have no idea where it is in PE8) and there should be a dropdown box. It has Bilinear, Bicubic, Nearest Neighbor (what you want), and 2 more if I remember right. I should really Google it before posting, but I know it's there.
Mundius

Postby Ddraigeneth » November 11th, 2012, 4:48 am

Can't find it in PSE8, and I'd been through all of the preferences when I had access to CS5. Regardless, having to go through a bunch a menu options is still not as convenient as clicking a button at the top of the screen, and the discussion is about what program can "quickly and easily" be used for spriting. Photoshop has a much higher learning curve, and remains expensive to legally obtain, so for the OP's purposes there isn't much point in discussing it. If there's anything else you want to talk to me about, feel free to PM me.
Ddraigeneth

Postby zaceron » November 13th, 2012, 12:07 pm

graphicssoft.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=graphicssoft&cdn=compute&tm=169913&f=10&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.ultimatepaint.com/

Ultimate paint, kinda like ms paint only with more shortcuts, it's free and is about 4 mb,... which is kinda supprising actually

https://www.facebook.com/SandCos/
I do cosplay, streaming, articles and more.
zaceron

Return to Sprites