Sprite comic collabs (Hotels, resort, guild, ect)

Share your 8-bits of thought here.

Sprite comic collabs (Hotels, resort, guild, ect)

Postby Darmanarya » October 7th, 2016, 10:34 am

I dont know if this belongs here or in the "seeking collaboration" bit, but after a few minutes of searching I realized that one thing that used to be a smackjeeves staple has vanished. There are no real sprite condos, hotels, or other forms of this classic form of roleplaying that some used to practice their craft, hone their skills, test new things, form new characters, or just simply have fun. It seems to have passed on, and I dont feel like that is a good thing. Is anyone trolling the forums here have any thoughts on this or would be interested in reviving this sleeping style?
Excessively creative, excessively busy, excessively procrastinating.
Darmanarya

Re: Sprite comic collabs (Hotels, resort, guild, ect)

Postby G.B.A » October 7th, 2016, 5:09 pm

I don't really think many have any interests now doing comics. People rather rp in chats now. Recalling from the last sprite collab I was in.
G.B.A

Re: Sprite comic collabs (Hotels, resort, guild, ect)

Postby eishiya » October 7th, 2016, 7:07 pm

Disclaimer: I'm an outsider to the genre, so feel free to disregard my opinion on it.

A lot of those collabs were directly or indirectly inspired by sprite-based chat sites like Habbo Hotel, they were a way to have that sense of place, but without such stringent limitations on the characters and settings. As those became less popular, so did that type of collab comic. In addition to that, "lolrandom" humour seems to have become less popular too, and collab comics seem to have run on that.

Like G.B.A said, chat RPs are probably the more practical, easier option. Sprite collab comics just aren't very rewarding for the amount of work they take, even when they don't descend into stagnation or drama.

In addition, a lot of younger people now just didn't grow up with the games that tend to get people into spriting, so there are fewer people getting into sprite comics to begin with. There are lots of sprite-based games out there and pixel art is still popular, but people tend to get into spriting and pixelling in different ways now, ways that don't involve sprite comics. That makes it harder to get enough people together and on the same page to do a collab.
eishiya

Return to Sprites