Are sprite comics dead?

Share your 8-bits of thought here.

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby Guest » July 21st, 2011, 10:12 am

mosama wrote:LMAO I never knew there was a mass war that happened in the sprite genre over 1 comic! Wow! I just read a bunch of the hate comments that kid got- that's really sad. People should just be able to make whatever comics or art they wanna make as long as its not hurting anyone. I understand people have the right to their opinions- but a huge croad of people flaming the living hell out of someone over a sprite page is awful... and awfully hilarious to me considering i could do the same kind of flaming to most of the 'artists' who are bashing.

And for the record- the sprite comic I created was infinitly worse then sonic vs nazo.
Spoiler! :
Image


Seriously? Thirteen and older? So that means the pros can't fix it. FAIL
Guest
 

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby Spear the Hedgehog » July 21st, 2011, 12:33 pm

mosama wrote:LMAO I never knew there was a mass war that happened in the sprite genre over 1 comic! Wow! I just read a bunch of the hate comments that kid got- that's really sad. People should just be able to make whatever comics or art they wanna make as long as its not hurting anyone. I understand people have the right to their opinions- but a huge croad of people flaming the living hell out of someone over a sprite page is awful... and awfully hilarious to me considering i could do the same kind of flaming to most of the 'artists' who are bashing.

And for the record- the sprite comic I created was infinitly worse then sonic vs nazo.
Spoiler! :
Image


Wow, I, I can't lie, it hurt my eyes to try and read it.
My first comic is somewhere buried under the mass of files that is my computer.
It was Sonic vs. Shadow...

Though yeah, there was another flame war that spanned multiple comics, though I'm not sure where to start looking up...
"Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start"
Pit wrote:Who has two thumbs and loves hot springs? EVERYONE WITH TWO THUMBS!
User avatar
Spear the Hedgehog
 
Posts: 449
Joined: June 19th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby ElSmitty » July 21st, 2011, 1:25 pm

I love reading flame wars that spriters have
thanks for that

and his comics where crappy one panel
txt bleeding into the background
stealing recolored sprites
and badly worded

but, this is what I'm talking about this doesn't happen anymore when someone makes a crappy sprite comic no one flames him
to either push him to make him better or to shame him into going away
Last edited by ElSmitty on July 21st, 2011, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ElSmitty
 
Posts: 211
Joined: July 4th, 2011, 12:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby Ultima527 » July 21st, 2011, 1:44 pm

I just read it.
And I can definatly say I've read worse.

THAT got people banned? Seriously? I mean, it's bad, but come on, people, don't you have better things to do than make some kid's life miserable? See, people taking critisims too far? That really bothers me. And that was the ultimate example of it. I couldn't even get through all of it! Even if your RIGHT you can still take critisism too far!

It's fully possible to tell someone's what wrong with their comic without flaming them. The less you flame, the more they'll listen. But I can see why people might be afraid to say anything at all after a conroversy like that...
User avatar
Ultima527
 
Posts: 98
Joined: July 28th, 2009, 12:02 am

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby RyoSoulreaper » July 21st, 2011, 2:42 pm

ElSmitty wrote:
but, this is what I'm talking about this doesn't happen anymore when someone makes a crappy sprite comic no one flames him
to either push him to make him better or to shame him into going away

Probably because they've learned that's not how you TEACH people things.
That's how you KILL the reputation of things.
Image
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
User avatar
RyoSoulreaper
 
Posts: 4383
Joined: August 24th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Location: Hyrule

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby ElSmitty » July 21st, 2011, 3:44 pm

I mean what they did to that guy was cyber bulling
but my first comic was complete garbage and I thought it was good
and then someone who read it told me to die in a fire
and other said similar things
I got to say at first I was butt hurt but because of the harsh criticism I realized I needed to spend more time and I got better
now I'm not saying my comic is the end all be all greatest comic in the world but it is a hell of a lot better then my first comic because someone took the time to tell me I suck. Now, some people are still saying I suck and I have some people that say my comic really makes them laugh. And, because there are still people that are saying I suck I'm still trying to get better.

Anyways if sprite comics are not dead what would be the most popular active sprite comic today?
User avatar
ElSmitty
 
Posts: 211
Joined: July 4th, 2011, 12:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby RyoSoulreaper » July 21st, 2011, 5:25 pm

ElSmitty wrote:I mean what they did to that guy was cyber bulling
but my first comic was complete garbage and I thought it was good
and then someone who read it told me to die in a fire
and other said similar things
I got to say at first I was butt hurt but because of the harsh criticism I realized I needed to spend more time and I got better
now I'm not saying my comic is the end all be all greatest comic in the world but it is a hell of a lot better then my first comic because someone took the time to tell me I suck. Now, some people are still saying I suck and I have some people that say my comic really makes them laugh. And, because there are still people that are saying I suck I'm still trying to get better.

Anyways if sprite comics are not dead what would be the most popular active sprite comic today?

They were trolls. I can say a comic is shitty and tell them how to fix it. Just saying something is horrible is not how one helps the person improve.

And If I had to take a guess MUTE. I would say 2ES but he hasn't updated in forever.
Image
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
User avatar
RyoSoulreaper
 
Posts: 4383
Joined: August 24th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Location: Hyrule

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby ElSmitty » July 22nd, 2011, 1:42 pm

RyoSoulreaper wrote: Just saying something is horrible is not how one helps the person improve.

It's a start. If someone doesn't know they are bad how are they going to get better

RyoSoulreaper wrote: And If I had to take a guess MUTE. I would say 2ES but he hasn't updated in forever.

throw up a link to it please
User avatar
ElSmitty
 
Posts: 211
Joined: July 4th, 2011, 12:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby RyoSoulreaper » July 23rd, 2011, 3:11 am

ElSmitty wrote:
RyoSoulreaper wrote: Just saying something is horrible is not how one helps the person improve.

It's a start. If someone doesn't know they are bad how are they going to get better

Yes because if I came up to you and saw you making something and just said "that sucks" then walked away is EVER so helpful. Most people would shake it off as "just being a dick"

ElSmitty wrote:
RyoSoulreaper wrote: And If I had to take a guess MUTE. I would say 2ES but he hasn't updated in forever.

throw up a link to it please

MUTE
Maio Vs. Sonic. Vs. Megaman is also a very popular one and it's active. Even The After Subtract is popular even though it finished.
Image
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
User avatar
RyoSoulreaper
 
Posts: 4383
Joined: August 24th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Location: Hyrule

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby eishiya » July 23rd, 2011, 9:29 am

RyoSoulreaper wrote:
ElSmitty wrote:
RyoSoulreaper wrote: Just saying something is horrible is not how one helps the person improve.

It's a start. If someone doesn't know they are bad how are they going to get better

Yes because if I came up to you and saw you making something and just said "that sucks" then walked away is EVER so helpful. Most people would shake it off as "just being a dick"

Butting in. I agree that it's a dick thing to do, but it is helpful, to me at least. When someone tells me my work sucks, I'll at least give it another look, looking for things that might've prompted them to say that. A second look with no goal in mind is better than no look. Actual critique that explains what sucks, why it sucks, and potential solutions is obvious much better, but a shitty crit can still be useful if you take it with a positive attitude.
That said, the flaming that went on was unacceptable on both sides. Unfortunately, there's no maturity requirement to use the Internet ):


Sprite comics are most certainly not dead, but with the end of 8BT and B&G, interest has been waning, because most of the others are comparatively lackluster. That's just Sturgeon's Law at work (90% of anything is crud), and with the end of those big two, the remaining good 10% is a lot less visible ):

If you're worried about sprite comics dying, make a good sprite comic. Make something so well-written and well-made that even people biased against sprite comics will have to concede that it's worth reading. It's not easy, but certainly worth a try. I look forward to trying, too.
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9456
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby zaceron » August 8th, 2011, 6:35 am

Not dead, the whole thing has just calmed down a bit around here, comics such as captain snes are still ongoing. Pro tip, don't say something bad about other peoples work unless you can say something good also.
Image

https://www.facebook.com/SandCos/
I do cosplay, streaming, articles and more.
User avatar
zaceron
 
Posts: 180
Joined: April 2nd, 2006, 6:58 am

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby traca » September 4th, 2011, 11:39 pm

No, they're not dead, but they're definately at a decline. Sprite comics are more common (quality varying) but it's hard to make one stand out. B&G was a bit of a start, then everything goes down from there... Here's a probably incorrect timeline.

B&G - Many spriters in tight communitites, working their hearts out in new, "Next Gen" ways.
Between Then and Now: Sprite Comics become more common, ie harder to make one stand out, and spiriting communitites "loosen" and become easy pray for some hackers and trolls (no offense to anyone, no easy way to say that.)

Verdict: More Spriters, less quality.
User avatar
traca
 
Posts: 5
Joined: August 26th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby zaceron » September 5th, 2011, 11:20 am

Sturgeons law, 90 of everything is crap
Image

https://www.facebook.com/SandCos/
I do cosplay, streaming, articles and more.
User avatar
zaceron
 
Posts: 180
Joined: April 2nd, 2006, 6:58 am

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby finalformsora0619 » September 13th, 2011, 2:08 pm

In my opinion I don't think that they are dying. I did see some posts in the thread stating that they are at a decline or leveling off, and I do agree with them. The main problem that I see with sprite comics is just like every other fad, people jump on it because it's popular, and then once they see that there is actual work that needs to be done to maintain it, then that is when you see whether the author wants to make the comic to get noticed, or because they have a story they want to tell and they put themselves into the making of the comic, and in the end that truly shows for those that stick with it because they really enjoy making comics. I will admit I started after seeing comics like Bob and George, Crash and Bass, and the like, but as I was developing my story and started making the sprites I got excited, and I kept wanting to go further because I actually enjoy making webcomics.

Some authors don't really understand what goes into making a good sprite comic, and I'm practicing as I publish so that I can constantly improve. I've gotten better with designing characters as well. I can't say that it's fantastic, but I take pride in my work, and I want to keep going with it for as long as I can make my comic.

I have seen some not-so-good sprite comics, and some of them are done by people who don't really try but expect that just because they do a comic about Megaman or Sonic it'll get instant popularity. And to make a point about Sonic, I've been seeing primarily a lot of Sonic-based comics lately and they are gaining so much popularity. I have my theories about them but some of those comics have issues like overused recoloring or horrific grammar, but that's not to say that all Sonic-based comics are like that; I've seen some really good ones on here too. There's one about Amy and how she's chasing Sonic around (I wish I knew what the name of that comic was) and the author developed the story really well. As it progressed, she started having feelings for Shadow and within herself she was trying to make a decision between the two, and the way it was done and how emotions were expressed throughout the comic was fantastic in my opinion.

I think that sprite comics are declining, but this is the perfect time for authors that want to do a comic to start thinking outside the box. Think of new and innovative ways to make your comic stand out. I know it's hard because I'm trying to do the same myself, but the only way to know whether something is working or not is to give it a try. That's one of the few reasons I believe that I've stayed in sprite comics so much is because I can keep coming up with newer ideas, and push myself to be innovative.

That's my two cents. Hope it helps. ^_^
Check out the Panzer Dragon and Enigma Saga, right here on SmackJeeves!!!

Link to the original story. (Left on a permanent hiatus.)
Image

Link to the reboot series! (You are NOT required to read the original story to understand the reboot series.)
Image
User avatar
finalformsora0619
 
Posts: 58
Joined: August 10th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Re: Are sprite comics dead?

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2011, 2:51 pm

We just need better spriters, not better narration.
Guest
 

PreviousNext

Return to Sprites

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests