DC comics' New 52!

Discuss the classic genre that turned comics into a major industry.

DC comics' New 52!

Postby xkrazydog » November 8th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Has anyone read any of the reboot DC comics? I've read a few titles and I'm extremely impressed although i heard they have their share of crap attempts and butchered ethics. List the ones you have read and may continue to look into:

- Aquaman! This is one I just so HAPPENED to pass by and gave it a gander. It is fantastic and makes you really think about a superhero's feelings about their reputation and where they belong. The art and writing is superb, the art especially makes him elevated to one cool superhero despite not being the most impressive super. Also the new villains in this one is so creepily wonderful, I smell movie potential, it reads like a movie with excellent angles, lighting and action.

-Wonderwoman i was real skeptical about this one, the art wasn't really to my taste and isn't as flashy as the other DC reboots that are covered in chiseled detailed sparkly glory. But after a while it grows on you especially since the story is very heavily invested in greek myths. After reading though, the art becomes seamless. The story and writing on the otherhand is fan-effing-tastic. So violent and mysterious and you can tell they're really putting their all in an interesting plot and cast of villains.

Supergirl When it comes to narration, Supergirl is by far the prettiest and nicely paced. She also has a slightly different origin going about her while she dazily wonders where she is when she crashlands on earth. The best part? They really dissect into how kryptonian superpowers work and she really dukes it out with superman. There's no complaints about the art.

Batwoman The art and creative paneling in this one is top notch. A really lovely detail they add is that the key characters in a dramatic moment is colored in such realistic detail while everything else fades out so it keeps your eye following it as if hypnotized. It also doesnt have the typical superhero feel at first and instead is a high paced detective drama with cape crusading on the side. The story in the beginning is really confusing but its slowly writing itself which makes for an interesting read.
xkrazydog

Re: DC comics' New 52!

Postby gun21 » November 9th, 2011, 12:57 am

Most of them kind of look like shitty 90's crap that even Image has grown out of, although there are some I've heard are quite good, Action Comics, Wonder Woman, and Animal Man are supposedly great.

I really liked alot of the ideas Aaron Diaz has been Tumblred about his DC reboot.

I mean seriously, Lex Luthor looking like Steve Jobs? That shit's dope.
gun21

Postby Seven Rain » November 9th, 2011, 1:57 am

gun21 wrote:I really liked alot of the ideas Aaron Diaz has been Tumblred about his DC reboot.

Whoa, I'm digging all of these. Especially his female hero designs. Power Girl, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Starfire, I think they all look great. Martian Manhunter is probably my favorite of all the designs, though.
Is this like... A comic reboot or an animated one?
Seven Rain

Postby xkrazydog » November 9th, 2011, 2:23 am

Seven Rain wrote:
gun21 wrote:I really liked alot of the ideas Aaron Diaz has been Tumblred about his DC reboot.

Whoa, I'm digging all of these. Especially his female hero designs. Power Girl, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Starfire, I think they all look great. Martian Manhunter is probably my favorite of all the designs, though.
Is this like... A comic reboot or an animated one?

Well i'm talking about the comic reboot. Where DC is restarting a line of 52 comics to a point where it can hook new readers into the DC-verse without getting lost.
I tested a few out and some were complete and utter failures but there were some really really good promising ones too.
I'm extremely tentative of reading Geoff John's new 52 Justice league... he's a fantastic comic writer but... I dont want to be overloaded with awesome. ;w;

I dont have TV so i can care less about the animation really. (its not batman beyond grr)

you can find them here:
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/the-new-52/

I heard the flash was good too, havent picked it up though (i never really liked the flash anyway)
xkrazydog

Postby Seven Rain » November 9th, 2011, 2:29 am

I was referring to gun's post but I'm interested in both. :D
A reboot sounds like the best excuse for me to try getting into western comics and DC.

*EDIT*
I'm pretty interested in Deathstroke, especially after finding out that he's Slade. I might try that one out sometime... I'll have to go check Jay's CD and Hobby. They always seemed like the best place for comics around here.
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2011, 12:50 pm

I had some trouble getting into the ones I picked up (The Shade and Batman). The dialogue feels just stiff and wooden to me, and it doesn't feel any different from before in terms of the continuity being all over the place. I felt like there were teeny bits missing here and there, and I can't put my finger on why. Like, for example, there's no temporary triumph when the main character seemingly defeats the enemy, only to be walloped from behind a moment later. These things make it lack impact for me; it doesn't toy with my emotions. But I am going to check out the ones you suggested. Maybe I just need a little patience. Overall, though, what I skimmed, I can say: Love the art, but handling of the structure and story though are not my cuppa tea so far, especially in the Detective Comics line. Going to keep trying though. I really, truly want to support our industry.

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2011, 3:56 pm

gun21 wrote:
I really liked alot of the ideas Aaron Diaz has been Tumblred about his DC reboot.

Superman is really Giger's Alien? :o

I'd give all that stuff a pass. When you've got to make such radical changes to characters to "keep them up to date," it's time to let them die and create new ones.

Postby xkrazydog » November 23rd, 2011, 12:53 am

Jeremy Ray wrote:
gun21 wrote:

Superman is really Giger's Alien? :o

I'd give all that stuff a pass. When you've got to make such radical changes to characters to "keep them up to date," it's time to let them die and create new ones.

I dont think many were given radical changes though. A few costume swaps and upgraded art but the general storyline/history is the same. Its just cleaned up and condensed, and the supers that did start fresh (like super girl) were given a proper introduction and a new storyline to follow.

On other news, ISSUE 3 of aquaman comes out today! I'm so excited!
xkrazydog

Postby InsaneArtisticNerd » February 17th, 2013, 5:59 am

Loved Action Comics, Wonder Woman, Batman and Demon Knights. Red Hood and the Outlaws was awesome until Kenneth Rocafort left. Then I realized that art could make or break a comic for me.
InsaneArtisticNerd

Postby Dave_Kun » April 14th, 2013, 2:40 am

InsaneArtisticNerd wrote:Loved Action Comics, Wonder Woman, Batman and Demon Knights. Red Hood and the Outlaws was awesome until Kenneth Rocafort left. Then I realized that art could make or break a comic for me.

This, Ken's art was amazing, and although I never liked Scott Lobells' writing, he did an amazing job at setting up how Jason Todd/Redhood should be and I was always looking forward for more Issues. Till I kinda missed Death of a family and stopped picking it up.

and I enjoyed Batman and Robin, Voodoo and Teen titans thoroughly... Although I was kind of annoyed I HAD to but Teen Titans Annual to get the insight of the Culling. worst 5 bucks ever spent.

Earth 2 also started AMAZING, and I loved how the flash came to be. Though that was the highlight of the comic book for me before I dropped it, it got bad really quick.
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts."

Don't give up, guys.
Dave_Kun

Return to Western/American