Who's your favourite comic hero?

Discuss the classic genre that turned comics into a major industry.

Re: Who's your favourite comic hero?

Postby gameboy+micron » November 21st, 2009, 5:39 pm

Damn, American? I was gonna say Astro Boy D:

I guess the closest thing to a robot human with emotions is a semi-emotionless human robot. Iron Man, ftw.
gameboy+micron

Postby Joshua Wolf » November 21st, 2009, 6:00 pm

mien would have to be Gambit
Joshua Wolf

Postby Supervillain » April 15th, 2010, 3:13 am

Well I only got into the Western comics over the last couple of years....
so I don't really know many, besides all the big name characters like Supes, Bat, X-men, yadda-yadda...
and I've only read some Avengers: Secret Iniative, and Teen Titans stuff.... damn comics be expensive Q,Q
but so far I'm loving Nightwing and Robin (Tim) <3

*sees THE MAXX posted in previous page*
HELL YES!!! 8D he was AWESOME
(and boy that animation creeped the hell out of me when I was younger... didn't even understand it properly)
Supervillain

Postby ImaginaryGirl » April 21st, 2010, 2:40 pm

Batman, specifically the TAS Batman. Barring him? Hmm...either the Tick or Deadpool.
ImaginaryGirl

Postby xjt » May 5th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Batman because he's awesome all around! And then Deadpool, Abe Sapien, Nightcrawler and Alen the Alien will have to cage fight for second place...but I'd rather not see that happen.
OR, if it's in jelly...
xjt

Postby Koko-Chloe » May 7th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Does Emma frost count as a hero? If not, she's the best darn villian out there!
Koko-Chloe

Postby DTrinidad » June 12th, 2010, 4:16 am

My #1 favorite right now is the man without fear... DAREDEVIL!
DTrinidad

Postby Tokoyoto » June 15th, 2010, 1:18 am

It's a tie somewhere between Jamie Madrox (the Multiple Man), the Juggernaut, and the Scarlet Spider.

And since Jugs is a villain most of the time and Ben Reilly has been dead since like, 1998, I guess I'll give it to Multiple Man. I do love me some Batman, I really do, but I think most of my fascination with Batman comes from his villains and his dynamic with each of them, and from the overall mystique of Gotham City--not really Batman himself. In that vein he's one of the most interesting comic book characters, at least to me though--he's almost one with his world setting, the protagonist and his surroundings living off each other in a metatextual symbiotic relationship.

Alright, so maybe Batman is my favorite after all. I don't know. I love too many characters. Ooh, and I forgot about Sabertooth... but I think he was dead last time I checked, too. Psh. And he's a villain. Why do I like so many villains?
Tokoyoto

Postby SomewhatExistential » September 9th, 2010, 3:51 am

#1 in my book? Spawn. I think McFarlane did a great job of creating a fourth dimensional character who's biggest enemy was himself (and yes I know the series got a bit off post McFarlane).

LEAST favorite though, is Superman post golden age. WTF can't he do? It's like he just developed any random power he needed. I liked him in golden age comics though, back when his strength was based upon the difference in gravity on Krypton compared to Earth, and all he could do was LEAP tall buildings in a single bound and smash things. Now all the sudden he can fly, breath ice, see through walls, and shoot friggin' laser beams out his friggin' eyes.
SomewhatExistential

Postby gameboy+micron » September 9th, 2010, 5:34 am

SomewhatExistential wrote:LEAST favorite though, is Superman post golden age. WTF can't he do? It's like he just developed any random power he needed. I liked him in golden age comics though, back when his strength was based upon the difference in gravity on Krypton compared to Earth, and all he could do was LEAP tall buildings in a single bound and smash things. Now all the sudden he can fly, breath ice, see through walls, and shoot friggin' laser beams out his friggin' eyes.

Finally, SOMEONE agrees!
gameboy+micron

Postby SuperBiasedMan » September 9th, 2010, 8:12 am

gameboy+micron wrote:
SomewhatExistential wrote:LEAST favorite though, is Superman post golden age. WTF can't he do? It's like he just developed any random power he needed. I liked him in golden age comics though, back when his strength was based upon the difference in gravity on Krypton compared to Earth, and all he could do was LEAP tall buildings in a single bound and smash things. Now all the sudden he can fly, breath ice, see through walls, and shoot friggin' laser beams out his friggin' eyes.

Finally, SOMEONE agrees!

Superman is boring. He was given huge physical advantages, so what's his only way to provide weaknesses?
Kryptonite
Low intelligence (seriously, he's really dense)
And emotional weakness.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby SomewhatExistential » September 9th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Superman is boring. He was given huge physical advantages, so what's his only way to provide weaknesses?
Kryptonite
And emotional weakness.

Not only that, but if Kryptonite is such an extremely rare and unique thing, why the hell does EVERYONE seem to have it?
SomewhatExistential

Postby gun21 » September 9th, 2010, 6:22 pm

SuperBiasedMan wrote:
gameboy+micron wrote:

Finally, SOMEONE agrees!

Kryptonite
And emotional weakness.

Actually you've got some of your facts wrong.

1. Superman lacks invulnerability to magic, and can be harmed by lightning, red sun radiation will drain his powers instantly, and if away from the yellow sun, his powers will fade.
2. Other beings with Super Strength are capable of bashing him down. He's had his ass kicked before by guys like Darkseid, Doomsday, and Mongul.
3. Superman is actually very smart. Not as book smart as Lex Luthor or street smart as Batman, but somewhere in the middle of them

Superman isn't my favorite character, but he is by no means a bad.
gun21

Postby SuperBiasedMan » September 9th, 2010, 6:44 pm

gun21 wrote:

1. Superman lacks invulnerability to magic, and can be harmed by lightning, red sun radiation will drain his powers instantly, and if away from the yellow sun, his powers will fade.
2. Other beings with Super Strength are capable of bashing him down. He's had his ass kicked before by guys like Darkseid, Doomsday, and Mongul.
3. Superman is actually very smart. Not as book smart as Lex Luthor or street smart as Batman, but somewhere in the middle of them

Admittedly I shouldn't really get into this since I don't follow serialised comics well so I'm bound to get him under the influence of different writers twisting him certain ways.
He just seemed to rush right in to things a few times without stopping to think at all. That doesn't necessarily mean he's stupid I guess, more that he doesn't rely on his intelligence.
But of course I consider intelligence important, I'm a massive Batman fanboy.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby SomewhatExistential » September 9th, 2010, 9:30 pm

My biggest issue with him is that he has no conventional weaknesses. Batman, Spidey, etc can all be harmed by normal methods. Things like, you know, bullets. A "common" thug poses no threat to Supes, only super-powered bad guys do. This forces the writers to have to constantly come up with someone who can pose a threat to Superman, which in my opinion, dilutes the story. I mean crap, even the Hulk can get shot.
SomewhatExistential

PreviousNext

Return to Western/American