What western the best Animation you have seen.

Discuss the classic genre that turned comics into a major industry.

What western the best Animation you have seen.

Postby avian-reader » September 27th, 2010, 4:31 pm

In the interest of balance :)

I was very impressed recently by the animation in the pilot episode for The Real Ghostbusters. Also, Knock Knock should have been a full-length animated film, not just a 20 minute episode.

I highly recommend Ralph Bakshi's Heavy Trafficadult content

Finally, I'm not sure if it counts, but the Brackenwood flash series is beautiful.
Got questions about autism? Feel free to ask :)
avian-reader

Re: What western the best Animation you have seen.

Postby TKGB_Cocker » September 27th, 2010, 5:32 pm

The intro to the Mega Man cartoon. Can't say the same for the show itself though.
TKGB_Cocker

Postby gun21 » September 27th, 2010, 8:16 pm

Blech, I hate Ralph Bakshi. I don't think that guy's done a single film worth watching.

I'm very fond of Night on Bald Mountain, as well as the following animation.

I'm also nuts about these old Fleischer Superman animations. Look how amazing that is! Why can't we make cartoons like that now?

Well at least we have Blur Studios
gun21

Postby avian-reader » September 29th, 2010, 2:49 pm

gun21 wrote:Blech, I hate Ralph Bakshi. I don't think that guy's done a single film worth watching.

Seriously? Is there any particular reason? Then again, I can't explain what it is about Disney cartoons that I don't like, personally.

BTW, looking at that Superman cartoon, have you ever seen Fire and Ice?(Yes, it's a trap, sorry Gun21...)
It's not quite the same quality, but maybe you'll get something out of it.

I wasn't sure about it at first, but then the duel happened :)
avian-reader

Postby gun21 » September 29th, 2010, 9:53 pm

avian-reader wrote:
gun21 wrote:Blech, I hate Ralph Bakshi. I don't think that guy's done a single film worth watching.

Seriously? Is there any particular reason? Then again, I can't explain what it is about Disney cartoons that I don't like, personally.

BTW, looking at that Superman cartoon, have you ever seen Fire and Ice?(Yes, it's a trap, sorry Gun21...)
It's not quite the same quality, but maybe you'll get something out of it.

THOUSANDS OF REASONS. So many, many reasons to hate Ralph Bakshi, but to sum it up in one sentence:

He's like Seth MacFarlane but with an even bigger ego, and less talent.

Ralph Bakshi is the sole reason why there will never be a 2D/CG/any type of animated feature film that is rated above PG. He convinced a bunch of studios that he would revolutionize animation, got a shit ton of budgeting, blew a bunch of money on "experimenting" and ended up with a pile of crap. When his films failed miserably in the box office, and critically, he blamed the studios for interfering, when in reality they let him do whatever he wanted, and kept giving him more money. He ended up blowing millions after millions, until the end where he's now practically blacklisted. His entire career is one huge failure which he blames on everyone else involved in his work.

Whereas the Fleischer Brothers Superman Cartoon only used rotoscoping to get the overall gesture of the character's animation, and made sure that the actors were shot at certain angles that would work better in animation, Bakshi simply shoots a film with no foresight or thought of "Do my characters emote properly? Does this gesture create a clear silhouette? Should we render to create a sense of apeal?" Then he has his team of uneducated animators trace over it in a very inconsistent manner where characters will be super detailed in one shot, and look like they're made out of playdo in the next. Then He'll take a crappy photo, and paste the character animation over a photograph, without actually measuring the characters so that they're not towering over doorways only 7 feet high. HE IS LAZY. His writing is even worse. Sure he has his moments of brilliance, but he never has brilliant stories. He usually just adds as many ideas as he can into a script and ends up writing himself into corners. In every one of his films there are scenes which serve absolutely no purpose towards the plot, and are usually just throwaway gags.

Now I'm all pissed off.
gun21

Postby Seven Rain » September 29th, 2010, 10:23 pm

I remember seeing that a while back.
Pure amazingness.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » September 29th, 2010, 11:49 pm

This one was mentioned in... some other thread here? The Triplets of Belleville is probably the best I've ever seen. Haven't seen the whole movie yet, but it's in my Netflix queue.

I also recall really liking the animation in Pocahontas, but it's been something like ten+ years since I saw it, could just be childhood making things seem better.
eishiya

Postby tezzle » September 30th, 2010, 12:07 am

Don Bluth in general. Land Before Time, NIMH, American Tail, it's all crazy good stuff.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby avian-reader » September 30th, 2010, 4:33 am

gun21 wrote:Now I'm all pissed off.

That honestly wasn't my intention. I'm sorry.

I don't know anything about animating, so personally I can't judge his methods. I'm not sure what it is I like about them. I like Kate Bush, so perhaps it's that I like stuff that's experimental. I know I liked the mixture of real life and animated footage, though I also like his characters.
avian-reader

Postby UrbanMysticDee » September 30th, 2010, 12:53 pm

tezzle wrote:Don Bluth in general. Land Before Time, NIMH, American Tail, it's all crazy good stuff.

I second that.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby gun21 » September 30th, 2010, 4:24 pm

tezzle wrote:Don Bluth in general. Land Before Time, NIMH, American Tail, it's all crazy good stuff.

Totally forgot about Don Bluth. This guy's amazing.

Well he was amazing, but then he made Titan A.E. then disappeared from film making in general.
gun21

Postby UrbanMysticDee » October 1st, 2010, 5:33 am

Titan A.E. wasn't that bad. It was at least better than I expected.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby JimLad » October 1st, 2010, 7:03 am

I think the most impressive I've ever seen was Disney's Alice in Wonderland, especially since back then each frame was hand drawn.
JimLad

Postby gun21 » October 1st, 2010, 7:16 am

UrbanMysticDee wrote:Titan A.E. wasn't that bad. It was at least better than I expected.

The story is very good. Probably the best story Don Bluth has ever directed. But the actual animation is kind of clunky.
gun21

Postby tacbot89 » October 7th, 2010, 7:57 am

I quite dig a shot film from the Sundance Film Festival called; Old Fangs.
It's very well written, the animation is lovely and the art style is so warm and full of life.
tacbot89

Next

Return to Western/American