What western the best Animation you have seen.

Discuss the classic genre that turned comics into a major industry.

Re: What western the best Animation you have seen.

Postby Rian' » February 29th, 2012, 5:25 am

Have you guys ever seen Brendan and the secret of Kells? :)
It's like the loveliest thing ever but somehow nobody knows it.
Rian'

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Gotta give kudos to The Real Ghostbusters. I haven't seen Extreme Ghostbusters in a good while, but I do recall sticking around to seeing it before heading off to the bus stop as a kid (I could only catch the first 15 minutes; they aired it RIGHT when I had to head out for school. Any minute later means I had to walk all the way there, and that wasn't fun).

To be honest, I think Bluth's Anastasia and Bakshi's work on Lord of the Rings are some of my particular favorites. The list goes on for me, it's hard to decide unless I devoted one whole weekend to just cartoons I used to own growing up, none of which I own anymore, really, lol.

Postby Durvin » April 13th, 2012, 2:58 am

Are we talking about our favorite visuals, or our favorite movies/shows? My favorite animation segment ever is the opening to "Road to El Dorado", with the Mayincatec visuals brought to life. The rest of the movie was as pretty as most Disney and Disney-knock-offs; the voodoo stuff from "The Princess and the Frog" was pretty awesome too.

I loved "Screw-On Head". I'm really sad that it didn't get picked up by whoever he was showing it to; I really wish Adult Swim had gone with a block of extra-surreal adventure shows instead of crap like "Assy McGee" and "Squidbillies"--basically, Venture Bros., Screw-On-Head, Forbidden Zone: The Animated Series, and something that does for He-Man what "Animated" did for Transformers.

And no discussion of my favorite animation can leave out Futurama. I can't come up with any qualifying statements; I just love it, is all. The first four seasons were a little better than the recent ones. The movies got a little touch-and-go at times, but the first one I liked a lot; the big battle at the end when everybody got together to fight the solid-gold Death Stars was a big ol' CMoA for me.
Durvin

Postby The Bearded Man » April 13th, 2012, 12:17 pm

I like how the Avatar series (Last Airbender & Korra) look like Japanese animations in art-style but has incomparable animation quality and character/story depth (While as for "animes" it tends to be a seemingly "optional" characteristic, thought some reads I took here and there claim that the production method is at cause).
The Bearded Man

Postby Randumbz » April 13th, 2012, 5:26 pm

The Bearded Man wrote:I like how the Avatar series (Last Airbender & Korra) look like Japanese animations in art-style but has incomparable animation quality and character/story depth (While as for "animes" it tends to be a seemingly "optional" characteristic, thought some reads I took here and there claim that the production method is at cause).

Technically that's not a western since it was animated in Korea or something lol
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby The Bearded Man » April 13th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Randumbz wrote:
The Bearded Man wrote:I like how the Avatar series (Last Airbender & Korra) look like Japanese animations in art-style but has incomparable animation quality and character/story depth (While as for "animes" it tends to be a seemingly "optional" characteristic, thought some reads I took here and there claim that the production method is at cause).

Technically that's not a western since it was animated in Korea or something lol

Still made for an American company for the western audience.
The Bearded Man

Postby Loverofpiggies » April 13th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Randumbz wrote:

And by that logic, most American cartoons aren't western cartoons, if not all right now.

(almost everything is animated in Korea)
Loverofpiggies

Postby Randumbz » April 13th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Sorry for being stupid :(
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby pwii » April 13th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Ignore my previous comment, I was stupid. Ok, here's the best:

Someone lock this thread, because the debate just ended.
Shoprocks wrote:Surely it's no coincidence that the more I talk about the characters, the gayer they get.

Interterrestrial wrote:...and I can tell you strange things that you probably never wanted to know like the fact that I have a can of beets in my closet and I didn't put it there
pwii

Postby The Bearded Man » April 13th, 2012, 11:05 pm

pwii wrote:Ignore my previous comment, I was stupid. Ok, here's the best:

Someone lock this thread, because the debate just ended.

I don't think there is a need to lock since the main topic is still valid no?
The Bearded Man

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Anyone here into stop-motion animation? Would that be relevant to this thread? Stuff like Wallace and Gromit, anything by Will Vinton (not counting the grapes, lol, he's known for that, but there's so much more), Fantastic Mr. Fox, that sort of thing?

I'll gladly take it over CGI, imo. It's as close to being real without the need for glasses or a superduper HDBRTV Omega 9000 to get immersed in. I can still look at it now as I did as a kid and feel immersed as if it really included you.

Check out Vinton's "Closed Mondays" film. It's a little creepy, but pretty unique if you ask me. I quite like it. Something to remember even after I've watched it.

Postby Randumbz » April 14th, 2012, 8:14 pm

itsjustaar wrote:Anyone here into stop-motion animation? Would that be relevant to this thread? Stuff like Wallace and Gromit, anything by Will Vinton (not counting the grapes, lol, he's known for that, but there's so much more), Fantastic Mr. Fox, that sort of thing?

I'll gladly take it over CGI, imo. It's as close to being real without the need for glasses or a superduper HDBRTV Omega 9000 to get immersed in. I can still look at it now as I did as a kid and feel immersed as if it really included you.

Check out Vinton's "Closed Mondays" film. It's a little creepy, but pretty unique if you ask me. I quite like it. Something to remember even after I've watched it.

Chicken run was a cool stop motion movie
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby The Bearded Man » April 14th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Randumbz wrote:
itsjustaar wrote:Anyone here into stop-motion animation? Would that be relevant to this thread? Stuff like Wallace and Gromit, anything by Will Vinton (not counting the grapes, lol, he's known for that, but there's so much more), Fantastic Mr. Fox, that sort of thing?

Chicken run was a cool stop motion movie

You guys reminded me of a film I saw randomly but licked allot for it's jokes: Fantastic Mister Fox.
The Bearded Man

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2012, 4:54 am

I never saw Chicken Run, I don't think, lol. I might've. But yeah, Fantastic Mr. Fox had a good script, all things considered. I think that's one of the reasons why I mentioned RGB a few posts back; the episodes and the stories they tell can only be as good as the animation that comes with it. Even if it had the Ghostbusters license, they certainly took the concept and ran with it. I don't see a lot of them these days, good cartoons, with Airbender being an exception, though I didn't really catch onto that one a whole lot.

I

Postby Randumbz » April 15th, 2012, 8:16 am

itsjustaar wrote:I never saw Chicken Run, I don't think, lol. I might've. But yeah, Fantastic Mr. Fox had a good script, all things considered. I think that's one of the reasons why I mentioned RGB a few posts back; the episodes and the stories they tell can only be as good as the animation that comes with it. Even if it had the Ghostbusters license, they certainly took the concept and ran with it. I don't see a lot of them these days, good cartoons, with Airbender being an exception, though I didn't really catch onto that one a whole lot.

I

Chicken run was made by the same people who made wallace and gromit (which i haven't seen lol). I actually didnt' ubderstand the Fantastic Mr.Fox movie at all. The book was better haha. There are still lots of good animated shows like young justice, avengers:emh, and Regular Show.
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

PreviousNext

Return to Western/American