Unofficial Hellboy Fan Thread

Discuss the classic genre that turned comics into a major industry.

Unofficial Hellboy Fan Thread

Postby Hayroon » September 4th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Basically what the title says. I first was exposed to Hellboy when I saw the 2004 film. I actually didn't want to see it but it was part of a double feature at the drive-in movies and my brother wanted to see it. Ironically I enjoyed it more than him. After that, I kinda forgot about Hellboy until I saw the animated "Sword of Storms" on Toonami, followed by "Blood and Iron" when it premiered, but then I still didn't feel like getting into the comics. Then when Hellboy II came out, I stumbled upon a bunch of behind the scenes videos on YouTube about the animotronics and such, so I went to see it and enjoyed it immensely. Then about a year later, the local Blockbuster had a going out of business sale and I got both the animated Hellboys on DVD. After watching the special features, I really wanted to start reading the comics, but couldn't find them. Finally a comic book store opened in the local mall and this past spring, I noticed that they had all the Hellboy trade paperbacks, so I bought "Seed of Destruction". Now I've finished "Darkness Calls" but am too broke to get the next book. And aren't I lucky? The year that I start getting into the comics is the year Mike Mignola is coming to New York Comic Con, to which I'm going dressed as Lobster Johnson, my favorite character who made his first Hellboy appearance in my favorite book of the series "Conqueror Worm". This may be off-topic, but if anyone else is going to NYCC as a Hellboy character on Saturday, I'd love to do a meet-up/photoshoot
Hayroon

Re: Unofficial Hellboy Fan Thread

Postby gun21 » September 4th, 2011, 7:59 pm

I own the first 6 trades. 7 and onward aren't drawn by Mignola, so I'm not so excited for them, although now that he's getting back on art duties as soon as the latest story line is wrapped up, I'm probably going to get back into the series.

I want to read BPRD if only because Guy Davis is such an amazing artist, and I want to see his work colored by Dave Stewart.
gun21

Re: Unofficial Hellboy Fan Thread

Postby Hayroon » September 4th, 2011, 8:08 pm

gun21 wrote:I own the first 6 trades. 7 and onward aren't drawn by Mignola, so I'm not so excited for them, although now that he's getting back on art duties as soon as the latest story line is wrapped up, I'm probably going to get back into the series.

I want to read BPRD if only because Guy Davis is such an amazing artist, and I want to see his work colored by Dave Stewart.

Actually he does most of the art for book 7, there are two short stories with guest artists. From what I've been able to read of the books when he didn't draw capture Mignola's style perfectly without being too much of a copycat as Mignola put it
Hayroon

Return to Western/American