Request for review of "Midnight Snack"

Nominate a webcomic for review here. You may suggest your own comic.

Request for review of "Midnight Snack"

Postby walgrover » September 25th, 2017, 8:39 pm

This is a 24 hr comic I made with no planning.

http://midnightsnackcomic.smackjeeves.c ... 71/page-1/
walgrover

Re: Request for review of "Midnight Snack"

Postby walgrover » October 22nd, 2017, 3:29 am

i guess this is a hard comic to review
walgrover

Postby eishiya » October 22nd, 2017, 9:09 am

It's probably not that it's "hard" to review, but that it's probably got a hard time capturing a reviewer's attention enough to read the whole thing, even though it's short. The lettering is unpleasant to read on many pages and the art style is probably not many people's cup of tea.

Since people here aren't rewarded for their work, most of them only review stuff they either think they'd enjoy reading, or comics that are at least very easy to read. We do have a few "resident" reviewers who'd probably have a great time reviewing your comic, and who'd probably give this comic a look when they feel up to doing some reviews.

I tried giving it a read, but the lettering made it such a slog, I gave up on page 8 (admittedly, I do have other things to do, and would've been a little more patient otherwise). I doubt you'd want to re-letter the whole comic, but here are some of the issues I noticed in those 8 pages that you should try to avoid in your future work:
  • In many bubbles, the bubble edge nearly touches the text. Try to leave at least an N's worth of space between the text and the bubble edge, it makes it much easier to read. Insufficient margins can be emotionally draining and slow down the reading, even when they don't technically get in the way.
  • The spacing between the letters and the spacing between words is often similar enough that it's not always clear where the word breaks are. It's possible to figure out, but it takes me out of the comic and makes reading it slow.
  • On page 8, you used lower-case Ls in otherwise all-caps text, which look identical to capital Is (as in "ink") which completely took me out of the comic. It looks like you kept that up to the end, too. Do not do this. Either use sentence case or be consistent in using all caps. It's very difficult to read, as it literally means all your words with L have I in them instead! "ACTUAIIY", "EARIY", "IIVE", etc.
  • The text changes sizes for no apparent reason, looks like you're just trying to either shrink it to fit in your bubbles or stretch it to fill oversized bubbles. Make sure you design your panels and draw your pages with the final text in mind, don't leave the text for last. Many artists at least pencil the text in before they pencil the rest of the page in, some people even ink the text first.
Even if your goal is to create an unsettling atmosphere, text is not the place to do that. Text should be "invisible" - the reader should not have to think about it consciously. If they are, then they're no longer paying attention to the comic's story and atmosphere.
Fortunately, these are all common beginner letterer mistakes, so at least you're in good company :D The fact that you chose to hand-letter rather than using a font in the first place was a good choice that's set you on the path for awesome results once you get the hang of it. If you're mindful of these issues from the start on your next project, it should be easy to avoid them (except maybe spacing - that takes some practice).
eishiya

Postby walgrover » October 23rd, 2017, 6:33 am

Thank you so much for this very thoughtful and helpful critique.

I'm very sorry that you were unable to finish this comic. I will re-upload with improved lettering and hope so much you will give it another chance. I think your insights and comments are very well articulated and it would be amazing if I could get proper criticism for the rest of it as well.

Best regards,
Hector Estrada
walgrover

Return to Nominations for Review