Smack Jeeves + NHN Global

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Re: Smack Jeeves + NHN Global

Postby Kyulein » September 23rd, 2018, 2:33 am

SmackJeeves has so far been my favourite platform to host/mirror my comic. I like the flexibility of the site designs and I really applaud you for dealing with all of that alone for such a long time.

I'm a little sceptical with the acquisition. Yet I understand that maintaining a site with these epic proportions and getting new features out there is a lot of work. If they can help make SmackJeeves an even better platform, then I'm looking forward to that.
Kyulein

Postby eishiya » September 29th, 2018, 6:46 pm

I previously commented on the new ToS being difficult to read, and I'd like to make a further suggestion: follow Patreon's model. Patreon's ToS is much easier to read, and to skim through when you need to double-check something later.
  • The text is broken up into shorter paragraphs that are easier on the eyes, and help in keeping one's place while reading.
  • Lists are presented as actual lists rather than in paragraph form, making them easier to read.
  • Each section is preceded by a plain-English summary. This is great for skimming, and it helps prep the reader to understand the more complex legal language. Most likely, these summaries actually increase the chance of the corresponding legalese being read.
  • Illustrations help break up the visual monotony. Illustrations are pretty fancy, but a similar effect can be achieved by using staggered sections (narrower columns, alternating between enlarged left and right margins, easy to do with CSS). The summaries and enlarged headings also help with this. Bold is a start, but it's not good enough.

I'm willing to help break the legalese down into a more digestible form if finding someone to do it is a problem. These changes wouldn't even require changing any of the wording, although ideally a more plain English writing style would help, especially since many of the site's users are young and/or don't speak English natively.
eishiya

Postby ShinigamiMaxwell » October 11th, 2018, 11:17 am

As long as it remains pretty much as I know it, then I am okay with this. Change comes..it happens. I am concerned about my sprite comics, as I did not realize they weren't technically allowed, but I will wait and see what happens in the future I guess!
ShinigamiMaxwell

Postby Admin » Yesterday, 5:57 pm

Hey Guys,

I've got some feedback on some of the questions regarding the new site terms.

First of all, just to clarify, NHN and Naver are not the same company. Smack Jeeves and NHN are in no way affiliated with Naver or LINE Webtoon.

Regarding fair use, fancomics, etc, we are not experts of intellectual property law and thus unable to decide the applicability of Fair Use (whether implied or not) provision on fancomics. This is especially the case as each fancomic analysis of fair use applicability would yield different results. As such, our stance on this issue is as follows:

• We do not allow artists to upload any content that infringes upon the intellectual property rights of a third party;
  • Upon knowledge (whether actual or constructive) of above activity, we reserve the right to remove infringing content on our website;
  • For copyright infringement, we comply with our Copyright Policy (DMCA take-down and counter notification)

Regarding the Intellectual Property Rights section of the Terms of Use policy we've updated it to be more clear:

You acknowledge and agree that NHN retains all rights, titles and interests in and to any and all items, data, materials, information and content created, by, authored by, owned by, or licensed by displayed on, provided on, or otherwise made available through the Website by NHN, including, but not limited to NHN’s registered trademarks and copyrighted works of authorship, the Website’s features and functionalities, all text, page headers, button icons, text, graphics, logos, images, digital downloads, data, software, information, displays, video, audio, and audiovisual works, and the design, procedures, selection, techniques, methods, arrangements and compilations of the Website (collectively, the “NHN’s Content”).

I know there were a few other questions asked, and we're still working on those. Thanks for all your feedback!
Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to News