SJ Awards (Recruiting Volunteers)

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Re: SJ Awards (Recruiting Volunteers)

Postby Smopit » December 8th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Come on, peeps. Lets get some more volunteers~
Smopit

Postby Bliss » December 9th, 2018, 6:25 pm

I have a list of people I think would be great fits to volunteer, who I will be contacting. These awards will be happening, believe that.
Bliss

Postby artofjoe » December 19th, 2018, 4:40 pm

I've found some great hidden gems on SJv's this year I'd love to see get more fans. I have a mostly open schedule after work, so I'd love to be a part of the discussions.
artofjoe

Postby Bliss » December 19th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Thanks for stepping up to the plate, you're on the roster. As for discovering hidden gems in SJ, my desire is to bring those types of comics to the forefront. Keep the volunteers coming!
Bliss

Postby MaruExposito » December 21st, 2018, 6:12 pm

Thank you for organizing this Bliss!! My hands are full at the moment by keeping my own comic consistent but I'll keep an eye around here just in case. Let's see if I am useful :D
Webcomic + Anime
What if your magic separates you from who you love?
MaruExposito

Postby Bliss » December 21st, 2018, 11:22 pm

No problem. We'll be happy to have you aboard. I want the team to mostly be set by the end of this month. These awards are a must, and I know this site is filled with people willing and able to contribute.
Bliss

Postby Bliss » January 4th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Awaiting volunteers...sorry for the double post. I want to get this ball rolling already.
Bliss

Postby TheJGamer » January 6th, 2019, 2:25 pm

After talking with Bliss yesterday over PMs, I've chosen to be a part-time judge for sprite comics! I'll be in action around May. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute then!
Just some kid who likes to draw and sprite. Thinking of starting a comic and actually sticking with it.
TheJGamer

Postby MaruExposito » January 6th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I will also participate!
However, as talked with Bliss in PM, a previous personal commitment could "unexpectedly" make me be uninvolved for a season.
Webcomic + Anime
MaruExposito

Postby Bliss » January 7th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Thanks for deciding to contribute, look forward to working with you two as well. I'm still in contact with a few others, with one of them agreeing to join the Smackies team soon. To the members of this site who aren't volunteering, is there any categories you think would be interesting to see as part as the SJ Awards? If so, post it. I'm aiming to add character categories to the mix such as best villain, best hero, as well as adding categories like most original comic, most consistent (comics that update with the most consistency), and a Kids comic award which I want to named "The Friendly Reader Award". The Friendly Reader Award would go to the comics catered to child-friendly/easy to read comics that don't contain adult or teen themes.

Side note, one of the rules I want to get rid of is volunteers not being able to have their comic nominated just because they are judges. If they're judging a certain genre, then I will make sure that the genre they are judging does not match the genre of their "possibly nominated" comic. Also, to have your comic nominated, you must have at least 20-25 pages (still debating), and your comic should have updated within the last six months (also still debating this).
Bliss

Postby eishiya » January 7th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Bliss wrote:Also, to have your comic nominated, you must have at least 20-25 pages (still debating), and your comic should have updated within the last six months (also still debating this).

I recommend borrowing the requirements from the SJ Spotlight, so that winners can also be Spotlit. A minimum of 30 pages (not counting covers and other non-page posts), and the comic must either update regularly (within the 2-3 months prior to the start of the nomination period, perhaps) or be completed (within the past year, since these are annual awards).

I like the idea of having separate "expert" judges for different categories. I do, however, recommend having 1-2 judges that participate in judging all categories, so they can oversee the process and ensure consistent judging between categories when it comes to common features.
eishiya

Postby MaruExposito » January 7th, 2019, 11:03 pm

eishiya wrote:I like the idea of having separate "expert" judges for different categories. I do, however, recommend having 1-2 judges that participate in judging all categories, so they can oversee the process and ensure consistent judging between categories when it comes to common features.

How about having guidelines for how comics are evaluated?

Random example:
Character design originality: 0-5 points
Page composition: 0- 5 points
Text readability: 0-5 points
Update consistency: 0-5 points
Author's engagement with comments/readers: 0-5 points
(etc)

Even if the judges change for each category, the comic with more points gets the award. It doesn't matter if in some category a judge is more generous.

What is difficult it creating the evaluation system though, but it makes things clear and fair. I agree in making it similar to the Spotlight since those are the general values at SmackJeeves.
Webcomic + Anime
MaruExposito

Postby eishiya » January 8th, 2019, 8:08 am

For guidelines to help with consistency, they need to be done in a way that enforces consistent decisions, and mere points wouldn't do that. Guidelines that would do do that would also probably be stifling to the point of uselessness xP

Previous SJ Awards had the same judges for all categories, so it's not as scary as it sounds. Consistency isn't important in the early stage when all the judges are weeding out invalid nominees and comics that won't make their shortlists, but that's also the only part that requires reading a lot of comics, and all the judges should probably participate in that process anyway (as much as each is able - it's fine if some judges have smaller shortlists), to help discover comics that can be nominated for different categories. Once everyone's got their shortlists and it's time to discuss the final list of public nominees, that's when consistency matters, but it's also when the list of comics the "shared" judges will have to look at will be fairly small, and most of the judges will already have at least some familiarity with each entry.
That said though, have you guys decided on a structure? I keep coming at this with the assumption that it'll be structured the way it was when I participated, but this whole judge thing might be irrelevant if you'll be doing this in some different way. Sounds like you have the categories, but now you're jumping into specifics before anyone's explained the overall structure it's all for (at least in public).
eishiya

Previous

Return to News