Poll: Allow Emoji in Comments?

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Allow Emoji in Comments?

Poll ended at April 5th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Yes, on the mobile app and on desktop sites
63%
Yes, but ONLY on the mobile app, NOT on desktop sites
12%
No, not at all
25%

Total votes : 52

Poll: Allow Emoji in Comments?

Postby Admin » March 29th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Allow Emojis in Comments?

So, the updated mobile comic reader is going to released pretty soon which now has commenting functionality. One of the things you might expect to be able to do from your phone is add smileys.

This leads to a bit of a dilemma though - on the one hand, smileys are kinda cool, but on the other hand maybe some people don't like them or don't want them in their comments. What do you think?

Thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Allow Emoji in Comments?

Postby mitchellbravo » March 29th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Could there be an option to enable or disable? I feel like emojiis might look jarring on comic pages that are more serious in tone (in a way that emoticons just don't stand out as much, since they're just text)
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby eishiya » March 29th, 2017, 7:21 pm

I dislike emoji. If I could disable them in my browser, I would, but alas. I find them distracting and unpleasant to look at. I like text emotes <3 but not emoji.

If they are added, I'd like to be able to turn them off at the comic level (they wouldn't look appropriate on my comic and with its template). I'd also love to be able to turn them off at the user level so they don't show up at all on any comic, similar to how I can do so on this forum, where emotes are replaced with their text equivalents.

Ideally for me though, please no emoji anywhere.
eishiya

Postby Gibson Twist » March 29th, 2017, 8:30 pm

I would also love it if there was a disabling option.
Gibson Twist

Postby Glueckskeks » March 30th, 2017, 3:49 am

I'm not a big fan of emojis either. There's the odd nice-looking one, but most of them just look bad. Although I guess they're ok to have as a feature as long as they can be disabled.
Glueckskeks

Postby mitchellbravo » March 30th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Funny how the poll results are the opposite of what people posting in the thread have said. :lol:

Also I realize that the title says "emojii" but the OP says "smilies"- are we talking the bbcode smilies like we see here? Or like, the phone emojiis with like, poop and clapping hands and stuff? Not that it changes my response, but I think it's an important distinction.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Admin » March 30th, 2017, 5:33 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:Funny how the poll results are the opposite of what people posting in the thread have said. :lol:

Also I realize that the title says "emojii" but the OP says "smilies"- are we talking the bbcode smilies like we see here? Or like, the phone emojiis with like, poop and clapping hands and stuff? Not that it changes my response, but I think it's an important distinction.

Phone emojiis
Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoKeR » March 30th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Admin wrote:
mitchellbravo wrote:Funny how the poll results are the opposite of what people posting in the thread have said. :lol:

Phone emojiis

Only if they can be disabled.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby Oly-RRR » March 30th, 2017, 7:11 pm

I'm okay with emojis in most places but not in comic comment sections, please. I think they would look jarring.

This said, if it's an option that can be disabled then I don't mind! :)
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » March 31st, 2017, 12:57 pm

I'm all for it. I think I'd rather see some kind of emoticon vs the usual comments I get like

"OMG XDDDDDDDDDDDDD"
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby *milk+assassin* » April 2nd, 2017, 4:21 am

No! Please! I've been waiting a 1000 years for emojis!!! I'm so tired of having to copy/paste various text symbols to replace them.
*milk+assassin*

Postby Admin » April 2nd, 2017, 7:42 am

*milk+assassin* wrote:No! Please! I've been waiting a 1000 years for emojis!!! I'm so tired of having to copy/paste various text symbols to replace them.

Not sure what camp you're in. You said "No" but it sounds like you're *for* them?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby *milk+assassin* » April 2nd, 2017, 12:31 pm

Admin wrote:
*milk+assassin* wrote:No! Please! I've been waiting a 1000 years for emojis!!! I'm so tired of having to copy/paste various text symbols to replace them.

Not sure what camp you're in. You said "No" but it sounds like you're *for* them?

I am indeed FOR them! I always use "No" as a common exclamation, to show that I'm expressing a deep concern.
That's why I need emojis, I have difficulties expressing myself with words, as you see!
*milk+assassin*

Postby JoKeR » April 3rd, 2017, 10:03 am

*milk+assassin* wrote:
Admin wrote:

I am indeed FOR them! I always use "No" as a common exclamation, to show that I'm expressing a deep concern.
That's why I need emojis, I have difficulties expressing myself with words, as you see!

:| That doesn't make much sense ...

Well, it looks like some like the idea and some are not bothered if they can be deactivated by the author of the comic.
Maybe implement them but deactivated as default.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby BugJuiceyJuice » April 27th, 2017, 7:03 pm

I say yes, I don't see a downside.. This is a website for creators, artists and readers to have fun.
BugJuiceyJuice

Return to News