SJ Mobile Update

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

SJ Mobile Update

Postby Admin » March 31st, 2017, 2:45 am

Smack Jeeves Mobile Update

Huh? What's that? Well for those of you who don't know, SJ Mobile is a mobile comic reader app that runs in Safari and Chrome. Here are a few comics using it:

Gloomverse, Mokepon, Autophobia, Doomsday, My Dear

Check them out on your phone, and you'll see what I mean.

Features in the Update
  • Commenting!
  • UI Improvement
  • Various Bugfixes
  • Full-Screen Button (Android only)
  • Patreon Button in Menu for Patreon-integrated comics (all you have to do is select your campaign to get this to show up)

If you want to enable SJ Mobile for your comic, it's easy! Just head over to Comic Management -> Smack Jeeves Mobile to get started.

More updates to come. Enjoy!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: SJ Mobile Update

Postby Oly-RRR » March 31st, 2017, 11:38 pm

I love the improved mobile reader, looks even more smooth than before! And easy access to comments! :mrgreen:

But I find the ad popping up fullscreen and covering the page every 5 minutes (or every 10 clicks, not sure) a tad off-putting for reading process. I realise that ads are necessary for sites and I keep my computer's adblocker turned off for comics but it's just really distracting when I'm following a story and suddenly it's a text about shampoo instead of a page, and again several pages later and again.

And a question - it it possible to make mobile reader enabled for all comics by default? I did it with mine and try to spread the news when possible but I have a feeling a lot of SJ users are unaware of the option, not to mention all those finished/dead comics that are still on the site and might still bring readers to SJ.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Admin » April 1st, 2017, 1:07 am

Oly-RRR wrote:I love the improved mobile reader, looks even more smooth than before! And easy access to comments! :mrgreen:

But I find the ad popping up fullscreen and covering the page every 5 minutes (or every 10 clicks, not sure) a tad off-putting for reading process. I realise that ads are necessary for sites and I keep my computer's adblocker turned off for comics but it's just really distracting when I'm following a story and suddenly it's a text about shampoo instead of a page, and again several pages later and again.

And a question - it it possible to make mobile reader enabled for all comics by default? I did it with mine and try to spread the news when possible but I have a feeling a lot of SJ users are unaware of the option, not to mention all those finished/dead comics that are still on the site and might still bring readers to SJ.

The ads are kind of necessary, but 1) they are removed for donator/premium comics and 2) I'd like to do an ad revenue sharing program if and when we're making enough from ads to make it worth it for comic authors. From what I've seen though, comics using Patreon get way more from that than they could get from ads. I mean, I'd like to apply that logic to Smack Jeeves, but I don't think we have a legitimate claim for running any type of crowdfunding.

I've thought about making the reader enabled for all comics by default, but I don't want to turn it on for comics who otherwise don't want it enabled. The authors could just turn it off, but some people may not realize it had happened.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby eishiya » April 1st, 2017, 10:21 am

I haven't tried the mobile reader so I don't know how bad the situation is, but surely there must be a better way to implement ads than taking over the reading experience? It sounds like something that'll put people off instead of making anyone money. It's fine to have ads on comics, but they should be unobtrusive, e.g. banners immediately above or below the pages. In the screenshot, it even looks like there'd be plenty of space for banners owing to the fact that most mobile screens are narrower than most comic pages, so comic pages don't fill the screen.

As for enabling the mobile reader, I agree that it should be on by default! Maybe make it on for all new comics, but leave all existing settings in place? Authors can always turn it off, aftrerall. It'll leave dead comics out of the fun, but hopefully those authors will find out if they still care about how their old comics look on mobile.
Edit: Also, I think it should be made clearer that defining panels is optional and that many comics read better without it. I suspect that might be the main reason after plain ignorance about the feature that people aren't using it. Defining panels is a lot of tedious work that in many cases doesn't help.
eishiya

Postby Oly-RRR » April 2nd, 2017, 1:08 am

Admin wrote:The ads are kind of necessary

That makes sense! I wasn't suggesting getting rid of ads, just what Eishiya said - wondering if a narrow ad banner that's ALWAYS there is possible instead of a big square picture that pops up suddenly.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Admin » April 2nd, 2017, 2:22 am

Oly-RRR wrote:
Admin wrote:The ads are kind of necessary

That makes sense! I wasn't suggesting getting rid of ads, just what Eishiya said - wondering if a narrow ad banner that's ALWAYS there is possible instead of a big square picture that pops up suddenly.

It's a possibility. It's tricky due to the limited screen real estate - personally, I prefer the dismissable slide-in ad every so often over a permanent ad which I guess is why I made it that way. The current format isn't set it stone, however, there's still some experimentation to be done.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby amiko_16 » May 9th, 2017, 1:16 am

Did the archive disappear in the new update? Seems you can only go forward and back now instead of being able to use that drop-down archive that used to be there.
amiko_16

Postby Admin » May 9th, 2017, 10:23 am

The drop down should be there at the bottom.

This reminds me though - the pinch-zoom is broken and I need to fix that.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby amiko_16 » June 18th, 2017, 2:55 pm

I can't see to find it/make it work.
Clicking anywhere on the bottom-- whether it's the menu or the page number --brings up the menu, but no navigation of the archives. And clicking menu again from inside the menu just closes it.

(..Totally unrelated, I'm not sure how long the define panels thing has been there, but it's pretty rad.)
amiko_16

Postby Admin » June 22nd, 2017, 1:45 pm

Ah, yes. Apparently the click area for the archive is off on some phones. I need to figure out how to fix that. What phone are you using?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby amiko_16 » June 22nd, 2017, 4:24 pm

It's an iphone 6
amiko_16

Return to News