Re: Redesign

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Re: Redesign

Postby Admin » May 21st, 2017, 1:19 am

Ultizeta wrote:One thing that I absolutely will say, though, is that I'm not a fan of the background/header color inversion. Both the site design that I grew used to when I joined in 2010, and the initial redesign in December 2016, had a white header with a nice, deep blue background gradient. Now the current redesign inverted that, putting the white on the background and the blue gradient on the header. It may seem silly, but because of that, it honestly no longer feels quite like Smack Jeeves anymore for me. I feel as though color association is an important aspect of marketing and brand recognition, so having Smack Jeeves become predominantly a white-colored website makes it feel rather minimalistic and less inviting to me. Since a lot of other websites are purely white, as well, it feels like the website no longer quite stands out to me anymore. I think the previous design nailed perfectly the familiar blue gradient with maintaining a good design sense and white space, especially with the expanded central design. I strongly feel that it would be a good choice to re-invert the header and background colors.


I hear ya. This is something I've been well aware of, and the decision to drop it came down purely to the logistics of everything this design achieves. For example, on mobile, having the blue top bar is aesthetically much more functional to contrast the white top bar of most mobile browsers. It also allowed us to put the old logo back at the top - something I really missed about the previous design. It may be possible to actually convert the main content area into a rounded sort-of page like it was before, with the blue gradient on the sides for larger screens. I'll play around with it and see what's possible.
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: August 17th, 2005, 11:10 pm

Re: Redesign

Postby Ian Evans » May 21st, 2017, 3:32 am

I definitely like the way the redesign is organized. Really like the community feed and all the different options listed on the home page, but I would definitely agree that the rotation of the comic spotlights at the top was a nice touch of the old design. Maybe prioritizing and moving the "cluttered" or less important stuff to the bottom? IDK man, It's nice to see all the effort you guys are putting into the site.
User avatar
Ian Evans
 
Posts: 25
Joined: December 25th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Re: Redesign

Postby eishiya » May 21st, 2017, 7:29 am

Admin wrote:
Ultizeta wrote:One thing that I absolutely will say, though, is that I'm not a fan of the background/header color inversion. Both the site design that I grew used to when I joined in 2010, and the initial redesign in December 2016, had a white header with a nice, deep blue background gradient. Now the current redesign inverted that, putting the white on the background and the blue gradient on the header. It may seem silly, but because of that, it honestly no longer feels quite like Smack Jeeves anymore for me. I feel as though color association is an important aspect of marketing and brand recognition, so having Smack Jeeves become predominantly a white-colored website makes it feel rather minimalistic and less inviting to me. Since a lot of other websites are purely white, as well, it feels like the website no longer quite stands out to me anymore. I think the previous design nailed perfectly the familiar blue gradient with maintaining a good design sense and white space, especially with the expanded central design. I strongly feel that it would be a good choice to re-invert the header and background colors.


I hear ya. This is something I've been well aware of, and the decision to drop it came down purely to the logistics of everything this design achieves. For example, on mobile, having the blue top bar is aesthetically much more functional to contrast the white top bar of most mobile browsers. It also allowed us to put the old logo back at the top - something I really missed about the previous design. It may be possible to actually convert the main content area into a rounded sort-of page like it was before, with the blue gradient on the sides for larger screens. I'll play around with it and see what's possible.

I don't see why you can't have both the blue header and a blue surrounding area. The white bar can cut through the blue, or it can end at the edge of the white.
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9865
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Redesign

Postby Shakes » May 21st, 2017, 2:07 pm

I like it, but the text being gray in some areas on a white background with such a small font size is making me have to squint which hurts my eyes. The pictures and all need a 125% resize in order for them to fit comfortably. (at least on my screen.) There's a huge amount of white space on either side which should be utilized better.
Shakes
 

Re: Redesign

Postby blackmoongirl2424 » May 21st, 2017, 8:08 pm

I just don't get why there's a need for TWO Favorites list tabs, the star on the top bar does its job well enough and it'll leave room for other stuff instead.
Image
User avatar
blackmoongirl2424
 
Posts: 821
Joined: May 5th, 2007, 4:17 pm
Location: Here

Re: Redesign

Postby JoKeR » May 21st, 2017, 10:03 pm

blackmoongirl2424 wrote:I just don't get why there's a need for TWO Favorites list tabs, the star on the top bar does its job well enough and it'll leave room for other stuff instead.

Good point.

And I don't get what's the point of the Community Feed thing ...I can see reactions from and with users on some comics. But what is the purpose of this information? To show activity on the front page? :|
Image

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
User avatar
JoKeR
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 3:42 am
Location: A City with a huge cathedral

Re: Redesign

Postby sakohju » May 21st, 2017, 10:38 pm

I didn't really see this new layout coming...to be honest, I haven't explored it a whole lot because I tend to use Safari a lot, and while the old layout had it's glitches with safari it was functional, but now everything is completely out of whack. Yes, while I do have devices I can access it on other browsers, I just mainly like to use Safari and unfortunately it's become almost unusable on this browser.
Other than that, like I said, I haven't taken a whole lot of time to explore the new layout yet, and perhaps I'll have more valuable feedback to offer once I do.
User avatar
sakohju
 
Posts: 27
Joined: May 11th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Re: Redesign

Postby Micahjjg » May 21st, 2017, 11:12 pm

I'm using a rather obscure browser called Epiphany on Elementary OS, and I'm having this weird issue with the library and notifications tab where they don't fully load.

Library:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11099737 ... JfngsLEuQE

Notifications tab:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11099737 ... JfngsLEuQE

What's really strange, is that I can do a two finger drag to see the rest of the tab, kind of like you would do with a photo or webpage that you have zoomed in on.

Will add more bugs to this post as I come across them.

EDIT: Not chromium based. It uses Webkit, I believe.
Last edited by Micahjjg on May 22nd, 2017, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Micahjjg
 

Re: Redesign

Postby Admin » May 21st, 2017, 11:29 pm

sakohju wrote:I didn't really see this new layout coming...to be honest, I haven't explored it a whole lot because I tend to use Safari a lot, and while the old layout had it's glitches with safari it was functional, but now everything is completely out of whack. Yes, while I do have devices I can access it on other browsers, I just mainly like to use Safari and unfortunately it's become almost unusable on this browser.
Other than that, like I said, I haven't taken a whole lot of time to explore the new layout yet, and perhaps I'll have more valuable feedback to offer once I do.


Thanks for that feedback. I believe I've fixed some of the Safari bugs. Please let me know if you find any more and post screenshots if you do.

Micahjjg wrote:I'm using a rather obscure (but chromium based) browser called Epiphany on Elementary OS, and I'm having this weird issue with the library and notifications tab where they don't fully load.

Library:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11099737 ... JfngsLEuQE

Notifications tab:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11099737 ... JfngsLEuQE

What's really strange, is that I can do a two finger drag to see the rest of the tab, kind of like you would do with a photo or webpage that you have zoomed in on.

Will add more bugs to this post as I come across them.


Thanks. I'm unable to see those screenshots, unfortunately. Could you try imgur?
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: August 17th, 2005, 11:10 pm

Re: Redesign

Postby Cave » May 22nd, 2017, 12:25 am

Okay, I just viewed the homepage on my phone and on my phone it DOES look much better than the old design. Though I think "Just Updated" should be the first section under "Favorites". But maybe this is just my personal preference.

On a computer though, it really doesn't look good. I get it though, it's like you have to design for either computers or mobile devices and in this day in age mobiles are trumping computers. But I still feel like the computer homepage could be fixed without affecting the mobile one. Like just get rid of the tabs and have scrolling down again. Cut Favorites in half maybe and expand the comic spotlights, if possible. I don't feel like it's a lost cause or anything, just that it looks like it can be improved upon.

There is also a lot of blank space on the sides on my computer monitor too (1920x1080).
Image
Image
User avatar
Cave
 
Posts: 207
Joined: March 22nd, 2007, 11:52 am

Re: Redesign

Postby cookyroach » May 22nd, 2017, 8:43 am

I like the new design! But yeah I agree that while it looks good on mobile, it's a bit crammed together on the desktop version with a lot of blank space on the sides (at least for me). I really think the big comic spotlight images was pretty cool in the previous design, so maybe making those images bigger on the desktop version could help fill out some of the white space? Just a very quick and dirty example: https://pasteboard.co/9lWTS9fci.png

But it's really nice seeing the site worked on and updated! ^^
User avatar
cookyroach
 
Posts: 2
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 5:56 am

Re: Redesign

Postby Micahjjg » May 22nd, 2017, 8:50 am

Thanks. I'm unable to see those screenshots, unfortunately. Could you try imgur?


Sure. I'll be back at that machine later in the day.
Micahjjg
 

Re: Redesign

Postby blackmoongirl2424 » May 22nd, 2017, 9:10 am

I just took the time to look over the site design on my phone, and it looks nice on the phone. Unfortunately, I don't use my phone to read webcomics unless it's to check how my current page looks on mobile (there has been some hosts that looked nice on the computer but stretched out on mobile), so it's not much of a plus for me.
Image
User avatar
blackmoongirl2424
 
Posts: 821
Joined: May 5th, 2007, 4:17 pm
Location: Here

Re: Redesign

Postby popchromatic » May 22nd, 2017, 9:25 am

Though I think "Just Updated" should be the first section under "Favorites". But maybe this is just my personal preference.


I totally agree with us. For most of us small-timers that's the only opportunity we have to get seen.
User avatar
popchromatic
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 14th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Re: Redesign

Postby Cave » May 22nd, 2017, 9:38 am

Here's just a quick mock up of what I was thinking.

http://i.imgur.com/ZMgQr3Z.jpg

Just without tabs at the bottom.
Image
Image
User avatar
Cave
 
Posts: 207
Joined: March 22nd, 2007, 11:52 am

PreviousNext

Return to News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests