Self-Serve Advertising

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Self-Serve Advertising

Postby Admin » August 29th, 2017, 11:11 am

Hey guys,

I'm considering setting up a self-serve advertising program in place of Project Wonderful. The benefits of this will be that 1) we won't lose such a significant portion of revenue to Project Wonderful and 2) we'll be able to show relevant comic ads to people with ad-block (sorry people with ad-block).

It's not set in stone yet, HOWEVER, I'm going to do a test run for a little bit for free to see how performance is. I want to make sure it will be a good deal for the people spending money on ads as well as worthwhile for us. If you're interested in getting some free exposure, please send me a 300x250 and/or 728x90 ad for your comic, and I'll add it to the rotation for when the test starts. Ads subject to approval.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Self-Serve Advertising

Postby eishiya » August 29th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Can't speak for other ad-block users, but I only use ad block because most ads online are poorly targeted (if I'm on a webcomic site, I don't want to see ads for something I googled 3 days ago, I want to see ads for webcomics!), or are loud and animated. So, I'll happily look at these new ads!

Speaking of animated ads, will those be allowed? Will authors be able to control whether animated ads can appear on their sites, like one can on Project Wonderful? I dislike animated ads, so being able to block them at least on my own site is a feature I really appreciate. I must also admit that though I look forward to seeing relevant ads on SJ, if too many of them have distracting animations, I'll probably end up blocking them D:
eishiya

Postby Admin » August 29th, 2017, 5:49 pm

To clarify, this system won't entirely replace the all the ads on Smack Jeeves. We still depend on revenue from traditional advertising sources, and those won't be going away.

Regarding animated ads - all the ads will go through an approval process. If the ads aren't of high quality (including being characteristically not-annoying i.e. overly animated), they won't be approved. Mild, slow-rate animation may be allowed. As always, any and all ads can be blocked with a subscription. ;)
Admin
Site Admin

Postby eishiya » August 29th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Will these ads also show up on SJ itself, where ads aren't blocked by subscriptions? That's where one goes to find new comics, after all - seems like the best place for ads of comics ;D

Will subscribers be able to selectively enable ads on their sites? For example, with template variables like how the Google ads were/are. If the ads under this system turn out to be high-quality on average, I wouldn't mind having them on my site even though I have a subscription.
eishiya

Postby Admin » August 29th, 2017, 7:29 pm

eishiya wrote:Will these ads also show up on SJ itself, where ads aren't blocked by subscriptions? That's where one goes to find new comics, after all - seems like the best place for ads of comics ;D

Right now Project Wonderful ads are on SJ itself in rotation with our other ads. This would replace the PW ads as well as displaying to ad blockers.

eishiya wrote:Will subscribers be able to selectively enable ads on their sites? For example, with template variables like how the Google ads were/are. If the ads under this system turn out to be high-quality on average, I wouldn't mind having them on my site even though I have a subscription.

Potentially, sure. You may even think, hey, if I have a subscription and I am willing to show ads on my comic, maybe I should get a cut of the ad revenue. So let's address that. First of all, if you set up your own ads on your comic, you get 100% of the ad revenue. If you wanted SJ to provide the ads and give us a cut of the revenue... well that sounds a lot like an ad revenue sharing program, doesn't it. Well, I've looked into doing an ad revenue sharing program, but the numbers have been pretty sad for individual comics. Most comics with a Patreon are getting way more from patrons than they would from ads, and it doesn't look like it'd be worth it for anyone involved. So touching back on your original question, sure, we could have voluntary code to show strictly comic ads, but as of now we have no plans to do an ad revenue sharing program.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby blackmoongirl2424 » August 29th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Sounds cool, cuz like eishiya says, I haven found a number of comics on my favorite lists from the ads on the site. I'll be sending you some ads over your way in a bit. owo/
blackmoongirl2424

Postby Respheal » August 31st, 2017, 11:29 am

Do you know what pages/locations the ads will appear on? I'm guessing the same spot as the old PW ads (which I've been trying to find an example of lol)
Respheal

Postby Admin » August 31st, 2017, 8:08 pm

Pretty much any 728x90 and 300x250 ad spot on the site gets PW ads rotated in.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby eishiya » September 4th, 2017, 8:36 am

The self-serve ads are lovely <3 Thanks to everyone who has submitted one, you've made my SJ browsing experience more pleasant. I hope you all get some new readers out of it! (So far I haven't seen any ads for comics I haven't already checked out though xP)
eishiya

Postby Campion » September 4th, 2017, 8:44 am

Where are the ads showing up so far?
Campion

Postby eishiya » September 4th, 2017, 8:51 am

So far I've only seen them on the main SJ site (front page, comic management pages, etc). Haven't seen any ads on individual comic sites.
eishiya

Postby Captain Ghost » September 4th, 2017, 12:48 pm

I'm really enjoying the ads as well, they look lovely without being obtrusive. Took a second, a moment of 'hey, something's... different. I think.' before realizing what was up.

I dig it!
Captain Ghost

Postby Seven Rain » September 4th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Huh. For some reason I'm still seeing the typical ads.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » September 4th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Huh. For some reason I'm still seeing the typical ads.

The SJ ads are rotated in along with the old ones, they don't replace them completely.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » September 4th, 2017, 2:04 pm

eishiya wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Huh. For some reason I'm still seeing the typical ads.

The SJ ads are rotated in along with the old ones, they don't replace them completely.

Ah, I see. I did some refreshing and browsing after you mentioned them looking good but didn't see any, guess it was just bad luck.

*EDIT*
Ah, I think I've seen a couple pop up now. Still surprisingly rare on my end, though.
Seven Rain

Next

Return to News