Keyboard Navigation Added

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Keyboard Navigation Added

Postby Admin » January 31st, 2018, 10:55 am

You can now enable left/right Keyboard Navigation for your comic from the Profile & Settings page of Comic Management. It's not enabled by default, so you have to turn it on if you want it for your comic(s).

I know this feature is like 10 years overdue, but there you have it.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard Navigation Added

Postby MK_Wizard » January 31st, 2018, 11:26 am

Thanks! I always appreciated that feature.
MK_Wizard

Postby JoKeR » January 31st, 2018, 11:41 am

Very cool.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby Admin » January 31st, 2018, 5:00 pm

For those of you not using {comic_image.FORMATTED}, in addition to turning on the feature in Profile & Settings, you can place {KEYBOARD_NAVIGATION_CODE} somewhere in your Comic Page template, preferably after the comic image, to get this feature to work.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby eishiya » January 31st, 2018, 5:29 pm

Admin wrote:For those of you not using {comic_image.FORMATTED}, in addition to turning on the feature in Profile & Settings, you can place {KEYBOARD_NAVIGATION_CODE} somewhere in your Comic Page template, preferably after the comic image, to get this feature to work.

Oh cool, thanks for thinking of weirdos like me :D

I noticed in the code, there's an "invertedDirection" parameter, which I'm guessing is intended for right-to-left comics, but there doesn't seem to be an option to set it to true. Is that a planned future feature?
If you're just not sure about the UI for that, why not have thee options in the keyboard navigation dropdown? Off / On / On (Reverse Arrows)? The tooltip for it could explain that the Reverse Arrows option is intended for comics with a right-to-left reading direction.
eishiya

Postby Admin » January 31st, 2018, 7:47 pm

Yeah, reverse direction hasn't been implemented yet. That's a good idea for the UI implementation, will probably do it that way. Was just putting it off because there's already a reading direction setting for Mobile, and there should probably just be a global setting, but then that has other implications, like should NAV_NEXT and NAV_PREV be reversed in the templating? Yes for simplicity's sake, no because the proper way to handle that is to physically swap the prev/next links in the template and that can't be automated.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Oly-RRR » February 6th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Oh, awesome, thanks for this! :mrgreen:
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Return to News