Ads.txt announcement

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Ads.txt announcement

Postby Admin » February 17th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Recently in the online ad industry, there's been a change, the ads.txt initiative. Pretty much every ad network now requires you to put some code in your site's ads.txt file to let the ad network know that you're authorized to sell ads on that site.

What this means is that if you're running your own ads on your webcomic, you need to have that information in the smackjeeves.com/ads.txt file. "How do you do that?" you might wonder. Well, I'm working on an automated solution, but for now, you can just PM me your ads.txt info and I'll add it manually.

Every ad network has their own set of instructions for what needs to go into ads.txt, but here's Google AdSense's:
https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7532444?hl=en

So again, if you're running your ads on your webcomic, PM me your ads.txt info and I'll add it manually.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ads.txt announcement

Postby Campion » February 17th, 2018, 6:54 pm

What about ad sites like Comic-Rocket or Project Wonderful? Since you have to put their code into your own, it seems that it's done for you.
Campion

Postby eishiya » February 17th, 2018, 7:47 pm

Campion wrote:What about ad sites like Comic-Rocket or Project Wonderful? Since you have to put their code into your own, it seems that it's done for you.

Just about every ad network works by having the site owner put some code on their site. Ads.txt isn't about working correctly with the ad networks, it's about making sure that the ads aren't fraudulently sold by some 3rd party. For example, if you have a PW ad, that doesn't stop someone from selling fake impressions on your site to an advertiser who doesn't know how PW works - the advertiser pays, but their ads don't run, since the seller doesn't actually have access to your ad box. Ads.txt would allow that advertiser to see that the seller they're working with is not actually authorised to sell ads on your site.

So, you should check whether those providers have any ads.txt codes for you. If not, then you don't need to do anything for now.
eishiya

Postby Admin » February 17th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Campion wrote:What about ad sites like Comic-Rocket or Project Wonderful? Since you have to put their code into your own, it seems that it's done for you.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to worry about them specifically.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to News