More fans

A place for folks to discuss the professional side of comics and webcomics.

More fans

Postby zrusere » May 3rd, 2017, 6:28 pm

I have been having trouble with getting more fans for my comic Were Hunter I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about getting more fans?
Last edited by zrusere on May 10th, 2017, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zrusere

Re: More fans

Postby eishiya » May 3rd, 2017, 7:23 pm

Please don't advertise your comic outside of the Self-Promotion forum. Even if you didn't intend to self-promote, linking to your comic in your post without being asked to comes off as self-promotion. Just mention it by name instead. You can always include a link in your signature, for those who are curious.

Are you promoting your comic outside of Smackjeeves? Do you have much of a presence on other sites? Often, factors like these are more important than the quality of the comic itself.

Your comic's summary could use a little polish. It takes a few sentences to get to the important information, by which point many would-be readers have likely already become bored. Keep your description short and let the comic fill in the details! Here's an example rewording of your description:
"Falsely accused of murder, a werecat flees to London to start a new life. There, he discovers that he is the only one capable of stopping the city, and perhaps the world, from being torn apart by other were-creatures."

You could add more details after these two sentences to help set the tone.

I think your art might be turning some readers off before they can get attached to the story and characters. For example, I think your colouring has a recurring issue with drawing the readers' attention to the wrong parts of the page, which can turn reading a good story into a slog because it's not clear at a glance what's going on, even if you've drawn everything out clearly. Reserve your bright colours for objects and characters that you want the reader to focus on, and use more subdued colours for backgrounds and unimportant elements. Your shadows don't help communicate the light sources and volume of the characters/objects, and they don't help set the mood. Your art might actually feel more polished without the shadows. With comics, it often pays to keep things simple, and to only do what you need to communicate your story.

Your dialogue is confusing to read in places because of missing or incorrect punctuation. If you have trouble catching errors like that yourself, try to find a proofreader. It seems like a small thing, but it can easily put a reader of your comic.

Lastly, a tiny thing: Make your comic pages link to the next page. You should be able to do this in your comic's profile settings, no coding required. Having to reach for that tiny "Next" button is annoying compared to clicking the big comic image. If navigating your comic is a chore, readers will be more likely to give up reading it if they're not in love with it from page 1.
eishiya

Re: More fans

Postby zrusere » May 10th, 2017, 5:09 pm

thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.
zrusere

Return to The Business of Comics