Losing (a ton of) Readers on Webtoons

A place for folks to discuss the professional side of comics and webcomics.

Losing (a ton of) Readers on Webtoons

Postby collective awe » December 6th, 2017, 4:58 am

Hi!
We are quite new here, so nice to meet all of you! <3

In the latest weeks I noticed a serious loss of views and subscribers on my webcomic Samsara.
We're running our webcomic in different websites, like Smackjeeves (of course!), Tapas and a site of our own.

Until now, on Webtoons, we used to have around 50-100 subscribers per week and now we are losing readers instead of gaining them.
What’s happening?

Our contents didn’t change so much (in quality and scheduling) to justify this (terrible) loss.

Do you have any idea of what could have happened?
Is it just us that have this kind of problem?

Thank you so much for your help in advance,
Manuela from Collective Awe
Our work is dedicated to those who believe in love, those who tirelessly pursue happiness.
collective awe

Re: Losing (a ton of) Readers on Webtoons

Postby eishiya » December 6th, 2017, 10:42 am

It's possible that Webtoons is deleting bot accounts.

I haven't read the comic and I don't know what was going on in the story when the loss started, but sometimes people leave because the comic wasn't what they were expecting initially and some recent pages reminded them of that. That doesn't usually cause a mass exodus, but BL fans are a fickle bunch, and Webtoons readers are more fickle in general.
eishiya

Postby collective awe » December 6th, 2017, 11:17 am

It's possible that Webtoons is deleting bot accounts.

This practice is always useful and appreciated.

I haven't read the comic and I don't know what was going on in the story when the loss started, but sometimes people leave because the comic wasn't what they were expecting initially and some recent pages reminded them of that. That doesn't usually cause a mass exodus, but BL fans are a fickle bunch, and Webtoons readers are more fickle in general.

I suspected it was so.
Perhaps because many of the readers are young?

We're running this opera from 3 years, but we are quite new. Samsara is our first webcomic (we are putting all of our effort in this one, right now).
I suppose I will check the stats of the next few months.

By the way, I noticed this newsletter some days ago (and our problem started "suspiciously" at the same time as this email):
http://www.webtoons.com/en/notice/detail?noticeNo=555&page=1
Is possible that the new "discover" system is damaging us?
(You can read about that in the second half of the newsletter)
Our work is dedicated to those who believe in love, those who tirelessly pursue happiness.
collective awe

Postby eishiya » December 6th, 2017, 11:56 am

It's possible, sure! However, that should result in a reduced trickle of new readers, not in losing a lot of existing readers. I doubt LWT would be unsubscribing people from your comic. A new system should only turn into s big decrease if your previous numbers were already a combination of a constant out-stream (seems unlikely) that just happened to be overpowered by a larger in-stream that's no longer there.

I agree that you should see what the stats look like later. Webcomic stats can fluctuate wildly from day to day, even week to week. I'm not very familiar with LWT's system and how it tracks readers, but if it's anything other than outright user-driven subscriptions, then it's likely to be subject to these kinds of fluctuations too. Hopefully someone else with a comic on there can chime in with their experience.
eishiya

Postby collective awe » December 6th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Thank you so much, eishiya!

Finger Crossed! *__*
collective awe

Return to The Business of Comics