Starting off

A place for folks to discuss the professional side of comics and webcomics.

Starting off

Postby MagpieMortician » August 10th, 2018, 1:55 am

I've always loved coming on SJ and seeing all of the wonderful comics but I've always had trouble starting up a fan base for my own work. I've posted about it numerous times on my social media but to no avail. What would be some of the best ways to advertise without spending a bunch of money?
MagpieMortician

Re: Starting off

Postby MagicalG » August 10th, 2018, 2:43 am

The problem with webcomics is that gaining the audience takes veeeeeery long so first thing is to set up a mindset of not expecting too much too soon. Especially if you are a new artist and haven't got any previous work of your own (if that's your case, welcome to the club!). You wrote that you posted on social media - that's good! But did you post it on the timeline of certain groups which gather your potential audience? Quality over quantity: you are more likely to get more fans if you adress your target audience rather than some random people.
Another thing: start official fanpages of your comic! Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr... All are fine but while having one you cannot forget about posting regularly, even if absolutely nobody reads it (yet). Because when you finally get some real fans they will be likely to check out your social media and if they see much content there and your commitment as well as passion they will be likely to follow and like :)
Another way of growing your fanbase is exchanging links with other artists creating similar comics. However, many people do not recommend this when your comic is still a "toddler" with little content. It may seem that you are being needy and even rude sometimes if you write to dozens of creators requesting this favour. It's good to save this technique for later, when you already have at least a little fanbase of your own.
Next thing: forums! Try to become a part of community which you think might like your comic. But be subtle and don't post everywhere things like "CHECK OUT MY COMIC IT'S SO COOL!". Try to engage in genuine conversations and show that you are a nice and interesting human being. Mention your comic when the time is right or when somebody brings up a particular topic, but never spam with what I mentioned above ;)
Some people also recommend registering your comic on topwebcomics.com (although I haven't tried it personally) where others can vote for it. If it gets to the first 100 you are very likely to get a bunch of new visitors.
There are plenty of articles on the internet describing the mechanism specifically, here I just summed up some basic ideas. And last thing: don't ever make marketing more important than creating good content. Never. Ever. Because in the long run the marketing which doesn't pair up with quality is set up for failure.
I hope I helped at least just a little. ;)
MagicalG

Postby MagpieMortician » August 10th, 2018, 3:08 am

Thank you! That's very helpful!
MagpieMortician

Postby Measley » August 10th, 2018, 8:41 am

I've honestly had much more success outside of Smackjeeves. I personally post my webcomic on multiple websites to gain as much exposure as possible. Imgur and Reddit have been pretty good in terms of advertising. Also placing your comic on webcomic lists sites helps. Unfortunately, Project Wonderful just closed its doors, and that was a wonderful way to get exposure for you comic for very little cost. Hopefully something else will arise to replace it.

As the previous poster said, expect to be in this for the long haul, because you're in a very crowded field with lots of competition for attention.
Measley

Postby Jules_The_Mayfly » August 10th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Measley wrote:I've honestly had much more success outside of Smackjeeves. I personally post my webcomic on multiple websites to gain as much exposure as possible. Imgur and Reddit have been pretty good in terms of advertising. Also placing your comic on webcomic lists sites helps. Unfortunately, Project Wonderful just closed its doors, and that was a wonderful way to get exposure for you comic for very little cost. Hopefully something else will arise to replace it.

As the previous poster said, expect to be in this for the long haul, because you're in a very crowded field with lots of competition for attention.

Which subreddits seem to be the best for this kind of thing in your experience?
Jules_The_Mayfly

Return to The Business of Comics