Looking for Feedback on patron supporter rewards!

A place for folks to discuss the professional side of comics and webcomics.

Looking for Feedback on patron supporter rewards!

Postby daisy_todd_draws » June 26th, 2019, 11:26 am

Hiya! So, I'm prepping to launch my comic, I've got 11/15 pages of the first chapter done and the rest roughed out, so I'm starting to iron out what people think good patron rewards are for supporting the comic! I'm open to discussion and pointers here, but I'm also using a google form to gain general numerical info that's easy to digest. You can take it right over here! http://bit.ly/XComicBTSCheck

I'm considering the following stuff as patron benefits
-Early access (Still deciding on how early)
-"Making of" a page of the comic
- Video talking about the preproduction work that has gone in
- 1 or 2 character features, going over their design/abilities/etc.
- Character asks where the characters will answer questions
- Physical merch (I'm on the fence about this b/c of cost)
- Live stream Q&A
- Downloadable hi-res pages, with & without dialogue. (Also considering doing blank speech bubbles so people could make joke comics/memes with 'em)
daisy_todd_draws

Re: Looking for Feedback on patron supporter rewards!

Postby Gibson Twist » June 26th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Don't plan to offer much for your Patreon. Chances are pretty good you won't get many backers until you're able to build an audience, and even then most comics don't get a flood of patrons. This isn't meant to discourage, it's pretty standard for comics that've been around for years to struggle to get those numbers on Patreon. So what happens is that you've promised all this extra material that you end up producing for just a few people, for not enough money to make it worth your while.

My advice is generally don't do things you wouldn't do anyway. Patreon is mostly for people who want to support the thing, less for people who want extras. Do an extra drawing a month, don't do six different drawings for a number of tiers, that sort of thing. The video, the Q&A, the making-of are all going to be a time-synch that you'll probably regret offering. Doing them once in a while as a little bonus for your supporters isn't a bad idea, but maybe not on the regular. You should avoid merch entirely until your readership is in the thousands, don't even bother with it for Patreon, you're right to be concerned for the cost. There are some Print On Demand sites that might be good for T-shirts, but for the most part, don't worry about it.

I've been offering advanced pages on my Patreon for years and it's the one thing that makes it successful. A lot of people offer a page or two in advance, but I've found offering an entire month or more in advance is far more likely to coax money out of pockets. I also do a Patreon-specific illustration every month and a physical print of the image for higher-paying backers, and people seem to like that. Offering pages without dialogue is an interesting perk, I've only done that once and people seemed to enjoy it.

Mostly, don't knock yourself out offering rewards for Patreon, they're usually not necessary to draw backers to you and you'll be creating a lot of extra work for yourself. Do things that are fun for you without committing to too much ongoing labour.
Gibson Twist

Postby Ulta » June 27th, 2019, 1:06 pm

What Gibson said is really good advice. For my Patreon, I offer access to a Discord as well for any backer where they can interact with me directly and ask more direct questions about the comic. The next cheap tier for 2 dollars is early access to upcoming pages. The early pages are really the sellers (I use the term 'really' loosely since I only got 20 backers).

Character interacts I've done for free for the public. Honestly other than the comic, there isn't much people are gonna wanna pay for in very early stages of your comic's fanbase. You need a loooot of people before it gets lucrative. But make sure anything you do doesn't eat up time to work on your comic. Your comic is what people wanna see the MOST afterall.
Ulta

Postby daisy_todd_draws » June 28th, 2019, 7:31 am

My advice is generally don't do things you wouldn't do anyway. Patreon is mostly for people who want to support the thing, less for people who want extras. Do an extra drawing a month, don't do six different drawings for a number of tiers, that sort of thing. The video, the Q&A, the making-of are all going to be a time-synch that you'll probably regret offering. Doing them once in a while as a little bonus for your supporters isn't a bad idea, but maybe not on the regular. You should avoid merch entirely until your readership is in the thousands, don't even bother with it for Patreon, you're right to be concerned for the cost. There are some Print On Demand sites that might be good for T-shirts, but for the most part, don't worry about it.

That's fair enough! It lets me set up some patreon goals then too, for overall support! (i.e. "when I reach x amount each month, I'll do this"). I admit, I really do want to talk about the production and such, and the character features (I'm comfortable with video editing, been doing stuff for fun for quite a few years) so I might do them regardless. I wasn't planning to do much for physical merch, probably just put it on redbubble or spreadshirt for the people that want it so that all I have to do is prep the art, even though the return on those sites is terrible, but at least I wouldn't have to manage it really.

I've been offering advanced pages on my Patreon for years and it's the one thing that makes it successful. A lot of people offer a page or two in advance, but I've found offering an entire month or more in advance is far more likely to coax money out of pockets. I also do a Patreon-specific illustration every month and a physical print of the image for higher-paying backers, and people seem to like that. Offering pages without dialogue is an interesting perk, I've only done that once and people seemed to enjoy it.

Aaah, a month in advance really does sound like it would work. I think that the toughest part would be ME waiting for that, haha! I might go for a whole entire week, just to see, and try a month for the next chapter. I think the physical print would be cool, but I'd probably lock it behind a number of patrons so I could order in bulk from the printer. The pages without the dialogue is a thing that I know I wish I had for some comics, because you know, sometimes you just want to use a panel as your profile picture or wallpaper, but there's a speech bubble creeping into it. Also, like I said, I'd love to see people come up with silly replacements for lines.

What Gibson said is really good advice. For my Patreon, I offer access to a Discord as well for any backer where they can interact with me directly and ask more direct questions about the comic. The next cheap tier for 2 dollars is early access to upcoming pages. The early pages are really the sellers (I use the term 'really' loosely since I only got 20 backers).

I was thinking about a Discord! I might do that! It would be super easy to do a closed, all-around Q&A type thing. But yeah, the early pages are the main priority.

Code: Select all
Character interacts I've done for free for the public. Honestly other than the comic, there isn't much people are gonna wanna pay for in very early stages of your comic's fanbase. You need a loooot of people before it gets lucrative. But make sure anything you do doesn't eat up time to work on your comic. Your comic is what people wanna see the MOST afterall.

That makes sense! I might give the patrons priority for character interacts in case I get a lot, but making that public might be nice to get people endeared with the characters since that'll be the focus. Thanks for the reminder about the comic being what people want to see most!

Thank you very much for the good advice, both of you!!!
daisy_todd_draws

Postby MaruExposito » June 29th, 2019, 7:01 pm

As Gibson Twist and Ulta mentioned, keep working on your comic first and build the audience! :)

From my experience (I have 5 Patrons at the moment), people there stay to support me and rewards are just an extra. So, I focus on rewards that will slow me down the least in order to keep my focus on comic production. What readers want is more story out!

Things like "early access", "preproduction work that is already done", and "downloadable hi-res pages" seem the best bets from the options you mentioned.

Best luck
Webcomic + Anime
What if your magic separates you from who you love?
MaruExposito

Postby Measley » July 6th, 2019, 7:54 am

Gibson Twist wrote:/snip

That is some really good advice. Thank you for sharing it. :)
Measley

Return to The Business of Comics