Kubo and the Two Strings

Kubo and the Two Strings

Postby Shakes » August 31st, 2016, 12:42 am

i just saw kubo and the two strings in the local theater in my town and it was AMAZING.

this movie is so beautifully animated and detailed. there are so many intricate small details you can easily miss that im definitely going to see it again to be wowed by it again.

every scene has really good shot composition and light post processing to keep with the style. since its stop motion you can see the wood or clay textures on objects characters and scenery throughout the entire movie

even the water was stop motion animated and had cgi overlayed on top of it to make it look real but still stylized

the character relationships (especially between kubo and his mom) are executed very well and i could feel the tension between them, which lead to nearly every scene involving kubo and his mom to pluck at my heartstrings

also the few videos showing behind the scenes/making of are really interesting to watch and it really shows the serious love they put into this movie
Shakes

Re: Kubo and the Two Strings

Postby RiskyBusiness? » August 31st, 2016, 12:32 pm

I watched it just yesterday and I've gotta say i like the visuals. A lot. Vibrant colours, lots of intricate details and references to old culture and legends. Pretty cool. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the story:

Spoiler! :
I really disliked the twist that the monkey was Kubo's mother and the Beetle his father. It seemed like a serious cope out, mostly because it makes no sense. The Beetle used a bow and arrow and Kubo's father was shown to use a sword. The Monkey threatened violence against Kubo and had no good reason to keep her identity from her son. Not to mention the Beetle isn't half as heroic as everybody makes mention of and they look very different from one another. They could've made a lot of good and surprising twists but the sudden reveal that these 2 characters were his parents all along (And then their immediate deaths right after) felt way too forced, no buildup or hinting or anything.

I also wasn't too sure of his grandpa going giant dragon instead of assuming his Moon Lord form. A battle against the Moon Lord in armour vs Kubo in armour would've been spot on and awesome, but the dragon kinda takes away from that. It was still cool.

I would actually LOVE to see a prequel chronicling Hanzo's journey.
RiskyBusiness?

Postby MacSimon » September 23rd, 2016, 7:38 am

As always, Laika fails a bit on script, but hot dang, they can nail visuals.
It's the best looking movie this year hands down. Kinda like Mad Max last year.
MacSimon

Postby Respheal » September 23rd, 2016, 1:44 pm

Visually, yes. it was amazing, but somewhat ironically, considering the important the story puts on "endings", it was the ending that rubbed me the wrong way.

Spoiler! :
Wait, so now grandpa is amnesiac and we're just going to trick him into thinking he's this cool old geezer that everyone in the village loves? "Yeah, you're...uh...totally this cool old grandpa figure that hangs out with us every day and definitely not an evil dude." Ehhhhh?

Maybe I understood it wrong?
Respheal

Return to TV & Movies