Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby gun21 » November 20th, 2013, 1:57 pm

NIckelodeon just did a press release through the Wall Street Journal, saying that the third season of Korra is going to be "Change."

Basically the writers are admitting "sorry guys, we pulled an Obama and got your hopes up."
gun21

Postby Randumbz » November 20th, 2013, 9:47 pm

gun21 wrote:NIckelodeon just did a press release through the Wall Street Journal, saying that the third season of Korra is going to be "Change."

Basically the writers are admitting "sorry guys, we pulled an Obama and got your hopes up."

What do you mean?
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby gun21 » November 20th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Book 2 basically started out with a good premise and then fell apart at the end by making every character into an idiot that doesn't learn anything or act realistically.

Korra spends the entirety of the first season disobeying Tenzin, ignoring his advice, allowing herself to become a pawn to Tarlock who's using the Equalist conflict to expand his own power. In season 2, she basically makes the same exact stupid mistake by listening to Unoloq who is using Korra as a pawn to expand his own power by unlocking the Spirit portal. The conclusion she comes to at the end of book 2, is that she should ignore the advice and warnings of the previous generation to make her own decisions, even though she was only able to save the day by listening to Tenzin's advice about meditating and tapping into the larger power of the cosmos. I was more forgiving earlier on in the season when Molly was criticizing the show, and I was willing to see where the writers were taking it, but after watching that season finale I've come to the conclusion that the people writing this show have no clue what the hell they are doing, since they seem to either forget or repeat the same plot threads over and over again.

Another example is Bolin, who is shown having a slight crush on Eska at the begining of the season, only to become horrified when he finds out what a horrible, controlling, manipulative girlfriend she is. When he escapes the South Pole and returns to Republic City, he spends the rest of the season trying to get together with his co-star, the actress, Ginger, who does not see any value in Bolin since he is only a hero in the Nuptuk films. After saving President Raiko (one of my favorite moments) Ginger sees merit in him and claims that they're a couple which is what he was seeking. However as soon as they are back in the South Pole to regain access to the spirit portal, attacked and imprisoned by Eska and Dezna while their father is destroying the world, Bolin goes through a 180 and claims to love Eska again, not as an attempt at deciet, but he develops actual feelings for her. This makes absolutely no sense since Eska's behaivior and attitude has not changed at all throughout the season, and her actions leading up to this moment should only re-inforce the negative feelings Bolin had for her which caused their initial break up. They break up at the end of the finale anyway, so there is literally no point in trying to force them into a romantic situation near the end to begin with other than to advance the plot. The same indecisiveness can be seen with Mako trying to get back together with Korra near the end, which makes just as little sense. Mako pretty much spent the entire season being the only character who really stuck to his principles and the truth, but at the end decided to play along and lie to Korra in a weird douchey manner that was unfair to Asami, who he got back together with. (Also, I'm really hoping that Legend of Korra doesn't become Friends, where the main cast spends the entire series swaping between different character pairings.)

They basically fucked up writing the episodes by making the characters take actions that were either inconsistent with their motivations, or having them be outright stupid. It's very similar to the character writing in Revenge of the Sith, where everyone is stupid and cannot see the most obvious betrayal coming from a mile away, which is more dissapointing with Korra since the writers have already proven themselves capable of creating realistic characters and great stories in The Last Airbender, and the First Book of LoK.

I can overlook a lot of the inconsistencies within the first book, since they were limited to only a single season back then, but they were greenlit for another three seasons as soon as Book 1 was proven to be succesful. This second book was just terrible in terms of overall structure.
gun21

Postby Randumbz » November 21st, 2013, 12:22 am

gun21 wrote:Book 2 basically started out with a good premise and then fell apart at the end by making every character into an idiot that doesn't learn anything or act realistically.

Korra spends the entirety of the first season disobeying Tenzin, ignoring his advice, allowing herself to become a pawn to Tarlock who's using the Equalist conflict to expand his own power. In season 2, she basically makes the same exact stupid mistake by listening to Unoloq who is using Korra as a pawn to expand his own power by unlocking the Spirit portal. The conclusion she comes to at the end of book 2, is that she should ignore the advice and warnings of the previous generation to make her own decisions, even though she was only able to save the day by listening to Tenzin's advice about meditating and tapping into the larger power of the cosmos. I was more forgiving earlier on in the season when Molly was criticizing the show, and I was willing to see where the writers were taking it, but after watching that season finale I've come to the conclusion that the people writing this show have no clue what the hell they are doing, since they seem to either forget or repeat the same plot threads over and over again.

Another example is Bolin, who is shown having a slight crush on Eska at the begining of the season, only to become horrified when he finds out what a horrible, controlling, manipulative girlfriend she is. When he escapes the South Pole and returns to Republic City, he spends the rest of the season trying to get together with his co-star, the actress, Ginger, who does not see any value in Bolin since he is only a hero in the Nuptuk films. After saving President Raiko (one of my favorite moments) Ginger sees merit in him and claims that they're a couple which is what he was seeking. However as soon as they are back in the South Pole to regain access to the spirit portal, attacked and imprisoned by Eska and Dezna while their father is destroying the world, Bolin goes through a 180 and claims to love Eska again, not as an attempt at deciet, but he develops actual feelings for her. This makes absolutely no sense since Eska's behaivior and attitude has not changed at all throughout the season, and her actions leading up to this moment should only re-inforce the negative feelings Bolin had for her which caused their initial break up. They break up at the end of the finale anyway, so there is literally no point in trying to force them into a romantic situation near the end to begin with other than to advance the plot. The same indecisiveness can be seen with Mako trying to get back together with Korra near the end, which makes just as little sense. Mako pretty much spent the entire season being the only character who really stuck to his principles and the truth, but at the end decided to play along and lie to Korra in a weird douchey manner that was unfair to Asami, who he got back together with. (Also, I'm really hoping that Legend of Korra doesn't become Friends, where the main cast spends the entire series swaping between different character pairings.)

They basically fucked up writing the episodes by making the characters take actions that were either inconsistent with their motivations, or having them be outright stupid. It's very similar to the character writing in Revenge of the Sith, where everyone is stupid and cannot see the most obvious betrayal coming from a mile away, which is more dissapointing with Korra since the writers have already proven themselves capable of creating realistic characters and great stories in The Last Airbender, and the First Book of LoK.

I can overlook a lot of the inconsistencies within the first book, since they were limited to only a single season back then, but they were greenlit for another three seasons as soon as Book 1 was proven to be succesful. This second book was just terrible in terms of overall structure.

I agree with everything that you said. I wasn't really excited about season 2, but I'll probably watch the third season just to see if it gets better.
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby Randumbz » November 24th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Is it just me or did Jinnora act more like an avatar than Korra?
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby IsaacCraveFries » January 11th, 2014, 11:46 pm

Didn't like this avatar season at all. It felt way too preachy with the whole spirits and harmonizing hoopla. They were losing me. Korra was always angry and defensive and snapping at everybody. She left her father and joined his brother and everytime she went avatar state she lost anyways.

I mean, i dont like comparing her to aang, but at least aan's character changed . Aang didnt take things serious and was playful and childlike but we saw him struggle to change and take his duty more serious without losing why we liked him. I dont think Korra changed realistically at all.

She was stubborn and headstrong all up until the very last few episodes. She was a giant Avatar at the finale and she was still gonna get beaten had it not been for janora! she was hopelessly hardheaded and ignored every one's advice except of course scheming bad guys smh..I dunno...diddnt like it just because of korra.
IsaacCraveFries

Postby gun21 » June 16th, 2014, 1:20 am

-It looks like a bunch of people can now Airbend
-Zuko's back
-Return of the Dai Lee Agents
gun21

Postby flyingtoast » June 21st, 2014, 4:24 pm

gun21 wrote:

-It looks like a bunch of people can now Airbend
-Zuko's back
-Return of the Dai Lee Agents

0:41
Sparky Sparky Boom Man has a descendant, maybe?
It's been a while since I've seen the show,so IDK if she's appeared before
Also Book 3 is starting on the 27th
flyingtoast

Postby Randumbz » June 21st, 2014, 5:51 pm

It looks like Korra is giving people who couldn't bend bending? This season seems more interesting than the seasons before it, but I can't even get excited because the show has been such a mess so far.
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby Seven Rain » June 25th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » June 25th, 2014, 5:07 pm

I'm really surprised and really...I don't know about this. On the one hand, fuck yeah Platinum Games. On the other hand, Activision + Platinum Games working on a licensed title. Activision makes some good stuff but I have no idea how well they're going to work with PG, and vice versa. Supposedly some people have seem some gameplay and it looks good but based on the trailer we got I'm not the most excited.

Then again I still have to catch up on Season 2 so maybe my hype will return later? Should probably do that before Season 3 starts on Friday haha. Or maybe over the weekend. Whichever.

EDIT: But based on this preview it sounds amazing!!
Afrohawkman

Postby Randumbz » June 29th, 2014, 7:44 am

Did anyone watch the new episodes? So far it's much better than season 2.
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby thexeternal » June 29th, 2014, 3:00 pm

I really liked the new episodes! There's some character interaction finally going on that we have been owed since season one!

Season 2 was kind of a mess. There was a lot of poor and hasty writing. I do still love the character of Korra, though, and I have from the beginning. A lot is being expected of a character that has some pretty deep flaws. I love her because of her flaws. The stubbornness, the elitism, the 'act first, ask questions later' attitude, the fierce independence... those are all very hard to change in any person (not to mention that I completely relate to them), and I didn't expect them to change as early as season 2. If anything, it looked like it was getting better but then got worse than it was before.

Sooo who knows, maybe "Change" will mean many things. ;D

Like some freakin' awesome adversaries. Um that WATERBENDING PRISONER!?

NEAT.
thexeternal

Postby diceknight » July 15th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Is Nickelodean really not putting episodes up for streaming this season? Lame. :x
diceknight

Postby gun21 » August 8th, 2014, 2:32 am

I'm really liking Book 3 so far. It looks like they're going to continue this storyline through book 4, so things have a lot more time to breathe and come naturally.

Spoiler! :
Zaheer gets major props for just straight up killing a major character on screen in a rather violent fashion for a nickelodeon show. That was some Game of Thrones shit right there.
gun21

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Movies