Kingdom Hearts General

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby RyoSoulreaper » December 18th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Holy shit, I am off the forums fro a day and BOOM KH thread.

I do like the games and Side games are starting to get redundant but I'll suck it up. Not saying I wanted to cut myself playing them but It'd be nice to see some KH3 news.

As for my play history of the series, I played all but Re:Coded. Finished everything in them too. The one that I prefer never to play again is CoM. The battle system was just.....no. BBS had the best for me. Command System was a GREAT Idea.

Too bad my PS2 is MIA and I can't play 1 or 2.....
Image
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
User avatar
RyoSoulreaper
 
Posts: 4383
Joined: August 24th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Location: Hyrule

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby KirbyHead » December 18th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Crystalbear wrote:
KirbyHead wrote:Tell me when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out on a console. I'm getting tired of all these side games.


Oh, so you'd rather have KH 3 be a rushed game and have it turn out like crap as a result of being rushed.

I'm getting tired of all of these complaints about the side games.

No, I'd rather have them stop making all of these random games to milk the franchise in the meantime and just sit down and WORK on KH3. For however long they need. I'd rather wait three years for a good KH3 than get three random ass side games. I'd also like you to stop putting words in my mouth.

If they were so deadset on releasing these side games, could they at least do it consistently on consoles that people actually own? Like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations (and they're not even side games) weren't released on the DS or the PSP or the NeoGeo Pocket, were they? No, they were dropped on the same consoles that their predecessors were, so that people who bought the earlier games could actually play them. If they're going to develop a game and say it's important to the plot, they should at least try to release it to the widest audience possible. Didn't they learn this when they re-released Chain of Memories on the PS2? Nobody played the GBA version.
Last edited by KirbyHead on December 18th, 2011, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
KirbyHead
 
Posts: 1620
Joined: October 3rd, 2009, 2:17 pm
Location: Somewhere over the proverbial rainbow.

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby Crystalbear » December 18th, 2011, 8:13 pm

KirbyHead wrote:
Crystalbear wrote:
KirbyHead wrote:Tell me when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out on a console. I'm getting tired of all these side games.


Oh, so you'd rather have KH 3 be a rushed game and have it turn out like crap as a result of being rushed.

I'm getting tired of all of these complaints about the side games.

No, I'd rather have them stop making all of these random games to milk the franchise in the meantime and just sit down and WORK on KH3. For however long they need. I'd rather wait three years for a good KH3 than get three random ass side games. I'd also like you to stop putting words in my mouth.


The side games are just as important to the story as the console games are. But oh, the KH fans are too stubborn to realize that, how silly of me to think that they would understand that.

Oh and please, get used to that kind of sarcasm. Welcome to the internet.
Image
User avatar
Crystalbear
 
Posts: 495
Joined: January 20th, 2008, 2:31 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby KirbyHead » December 18th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Crystalbear wrote:The side games are just as important to the story as the console games are. But oh, the KH fans are too stubborn to realize that, how silly of me to think that they would understand that.

Oh and please, get used to that kind of sarcasm. Welcome to the internet.

As I noted in my edit, if they wanted the fans to play important games, they'd release them on the more widespread consoles and not expect people to pick up every new handheld just to get the full story. They'd also be more straightforward about it and stop releasing four games to tell a story that one or two games could cover. At this point it just looks like they're making things up as they go along, which is never good for a franchise. Also, it seems as though I've been on the internet (and indeed this earth) longer than you, so no welcome is necessary, thank you.

Just think about it from a practical standpoint, man. It makes no sense to put "important games" on no less than three different handhelds when you know that the majority of your players own a Playstation. It is unreasonable to expect them all to own a DS and PSP, a PS2 and perhaps even a PS3 or PS4, depending on whenever the hell KH3 comes out. (I really want to believe after Versus, but SE has yet to convince me that it's anything but vaporware.) Those are just bad decisions, through and through. And if supporting this console-juggling-BS is what makes you a fan, well, I don't really want to be called one. If recognizing what's either shitty marketing tactics or just bad game planning makes me "stubborn", then I guess I'm proud of it.
User avatar
KirbyHead
 
Posts: 1620
Joined: October 3rd, 2009, 2:17 pm
Location: Somewhere over the proverbial rainbow.

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby Mr Aids » December 18th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Crystalbear wrote:The side games are just as important to the story as the console games are. But oh, the KH fans are too stubborn to realize that, how silly of me to think that they would understand that.

Oh and please, get used to that kind of sarcasm. Welcome to the internet.


There's no need to lash out, Kirbyhead is just expressing her opinion. I would have been perfectly happy with side games if they limited the number. I was ok with Chain of Memories, and even 358/2 Days and Birth By Sleep, but I do agree that they seem to be making it up as they go along.

If you think they're leaning towards developing the story rather than milking the franchise, you'd be wrong. I mean, the release of the Final Mix games is evidence of this. Even though they were only released in Japan, they were essentially the same game with a couple of extras that would entice fans to fork over more money. The same thing was done with Chain of Memories and Coded, even though they were remade for different gaming platforms. But was this to develop story? I doubt it, the story was already told in the original games. If they were really focusing on story instead of just making money, I daresay Kingdom Hearts 3 would be out by now.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
User avatar
Mr Aids
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: April 9th, 2007, 7:02 pm
Location: STRAYA M8

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby TCF » December 18th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Mr Aids wrote:
Crystalbear wrote:The side games are just as important to the story as the console games are. But oh, the KH fans are too stubborn to realize that, how silly of me to think that they would understand that.

Oh and please, get used to that kind of sarcasm. Welcome to the internet.


There's no need to lash out, Kirbyhead is just expressing her opinion. I would have been perfectly happy with side games if they limited the number. I was ok with Chain of Memories, and even 358/2 Days and Birth By Sleep, but I do agree that they seem to be making it up as they go along.

If you think they're leaning towards developing the story rather than milking the franchise, you'd be wrong. I mean, the release of the Final Mix games is evidence of this. Even though they were only released in Japan, they were essentially the same game with a couple of extras that would entice fans to fork over more money. The same thing was done with Chain of Memories and Coded, even though they were remade for different gaming platforms. But was this to develop story? I doubt it, the story was already told in the original game. If they were really focusing on story instead of just making money, I daresay Kingdom Hearts 3 would be out by now.


tl;dr the side games sucked
Image
TCF
 
Posts: 516
Joined: February 27th, 2009, 11:55 pm

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby Crystalbear » December 18th, 2011, 8:36 pm

KirbyHead wrote:
Crystalbear wrote:The side games are just as important to the story as the console games are. But oh, the KH fans are too stubborn to realize that, how silly of me to think that they would understand that.

Oh and please, get used to that kind of sarcasm. Welcome to the internet.

As I noted in my edit, if they wanted the fans to play important games, they'd release them on the more widespread consoles and not expect people to pick up ever new handheld just to get the full story. They'd also be more straightforward about it and stop releasing four games to tell a story that one or two games could cover. At this point it just looks like they're making things up as they go along, which is never good for a franchise. Also, it seems as though I've been on the internet (and indeed this earth) longer than you, so no welcome is necessary, thank you.


They started the handheld games because children were wanting to play KH on handheld devices, which started COM and was later ported. The rest of the side/handheld games are either MOSTLY for PSP or cellphone. PSP is still of Sony Playstation and cellphones are extremely popular in Japan. That works well over there. And the side-games are supposed to be short, mainly because they were intended for handhelds yes, but if they were console games, the stories would STILL be short. It's obvious they're saving the more "larger", "epic" story for the main titles, while having the side-games help build on the story of future main games. KHII pretty much expects the player to have played COM, I'd imagine the stories of the newer side-games will greatly affect KHIII's as well.

And really, I don't see why the side-games should be blamed that there's no KH3. They've stated that they've wanted to work on FF: Versus XIII first, and that's been in development since what, 2006? I'd say the development of that is more at fault than the handhelds.

I could go on about more things in more detail, but I feel that others, mostly Afrohawkman, has already covered the rest. I suggest reading his posts if you haven't.

I personally, like the handhelds. Why? Because they're pretty much the only things in the KH franchise that I can play, for at least the few titles that were created for Nintendo handhelds. Sure I won't be able to follow the games quite as well, but I don't mind. Hate me if you want, it doesn't matter.

Mr. Aids wrote:There's no need to lash out, Kirbyhead is just expressing her opinion.


What goes around, comes around...
Image
User avatar
Crystalbear
 
Posts: 495
Joined: January 20th, 2008, 2:31 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby KirbyHead » December 18th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Crystalbear wrote:They started the handheld games because children were wanting to play KH on handheld devices, which started COM and was later ported. The rest of the side/handheld games are either MOSTLY for PSP or cellphone. PSP is still of Sony Playstation and cellphones are extremely popular in Japan. That works well over there. And the side-games are supposed to be short, mainly because they were intended for handhelds yes, but if they were console games, the stories would STILL be short. It's obvious they're saving the more "larger", "epic" story for the main titles, while having the side-games help build on the story of future main games. KHII pretty much expects the player to have played COM, I'd imagine the stories of the newer side-games will greatly affect KHIII's as well.

And really, I don't see why the side-games should be blamed that there's no KH3. They've stated that they've wanted to work on FF: Versus XIII first, and that's been in development since what, 2006? I'd say the development of that is more at fault than the handhelds.

I'm not faulting the handhelds so much as the company that's developing for them. If they're saving the larger and more epic stories for consoles, then shouldn't we be able to understand the story from them? if you want to create a coherent story, then make the sequence of the games the games sensible as well. Zelda works on so many different consoles because none of the games are meant to be related or really have a huge bearing on one another. I'm just saying: DS/PSP/3DS/GBA/mobile phone... if these were meant to be important, then SE should have put them where they could reach the widest audiences on both sides of the large pond. They should realize that they're not just selling to a Japanese audience. That would be Ubisoft releasing a major installment of Assassin's Creed on the iPhone, completely ignoring their American base that doesn't have them, as well as the Japanese base entirely. (Since the Japanese aren't really big on iPhones.) If they had taken what's important from the side games, put them in one or two games, and then released them on a console or maybe ONE handheld, it would have made more sense. I think that KH3D is a step in the right direction, but I'd have to play it to see. Which will be difficult, seeing as how I don't own a 3DS. Speaking of...

I personally, like the handhelds. Why? Because they're pretty much the only things in the KH franchise that I can play, for at least the few titles that were created for Nintendo handhelds. Sure I won't be able to follow the games quite as well, but I don't mind. Hate me if you want, it doesn't matter.

Dude, I don't feel strongly enough about Kingdom Hearts to hate anyone for it. That would just be unreasonable, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But have you considered that the reason why you like the side games (because you own those handhelds) is the reason why other people don't like them (because they don't own them)?

And saying what goes around comes around... well, that's pretty accurate. I have no beef with you, but when you seem to take personal offense and get snarky just because I made an observation about a game you like; that's just silly. It's silly of me to retaliate, maybe, but it's also silly to start. I think we're all mature enough here to be critical about what we like without getting offended over it.
Last edited by KirbyHead on December 18th, 2011, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
KirbyHead
 
Posts: 1620
Joined: October 3rd, 2009, 2:17 pm
Location: Somewhere over the proverbial rainbow.

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby Seven Rain » December 18th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Mr Aids wrote:If they were really focusing on story instead of just making money, I daresay Kingdom Hearts 3 would be out by now.

Spoiler! :
Image
/ignored
Image
User avatar
Seven Rain
 
Posts: 23789
Joined: February 21st, 2008, 7:05 am
Location: Nostalgia Town

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby Crystalbear » December 18th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Japanese companies will ALWAYS cater to their Japanese fans, so the demand and feedback coming from Japanese players will always be listened to first. It's pretty much a given fact. Who knows, perhaps thoughts of the KH handhelds are completely different over in the east. I don't know, I only know that Dragon Warrior is way more popular there. Either way, you can't always expect a company to perfectly cater to both the east and west, people have to learn to accept that and move on.

As I've already stated before, most of the handhelds titles are for PSP and cellphone. COM was for GBA because Sony didn't have a handheld back then, and even then it was later ported. Then you have DS, which I'll assume is because DS is one of the more popular and most owned handhelds in the world. But either way, most of the titles are for Sony console or handheld, or the occasional cellphone since mobile phone games are so much more popular in the east than in the west, so I still do not see a problem with that.

Okay so perhaps just one of the reasons that people don't like the handhelds is because they can't play them, but that seems more like a silly reason to me. I can't play the originals or the ones for PSP, and I'm not hating them for that. Besides, people seem perfectly happy ignoring the handhelds anyway.

And it's NOT because of money, it's because of stupid Versus XIII that's been in development since freaking 2006. And they've only JUST started full production on that as of September 2011.
Image
User avatar
Crystalbear
 
Posts: 495
Joined: January 20th, 2008, 2:31 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby Mr Aids » December 18th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Mr Aids wrote:If they were really focusing on story instead of just making money, I daresay Kingdom Hearts 3 would be out by now.

Spoiler! :
Image
/ignored


I did read your point, but Kingdom Hearts is much older than FFXIII. Why should that take a backseat? How many years is it going to be between the release of KH1 and KH3, in comparison to FXIII and FXIII Versus?
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
User avatar
Mr Aids
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: April 9th, 2007, 7:02 pm
Location: STRAYA M8

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby TCF » December 18th, 2011, 9:23 pm

The new game is pretty much KH3 in all but name.
Image
TCF
 
Posts: 516
Joined: February 27th, 2009, 11:55 pm

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby RyoSoulreaper » December 18th, 2011, 9:24 pm

So how about that Aqua chick?

Spoiler! :
Image


/Combo break
Image
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
User avatar
RyoSoulreaper
 
Posts: 4383
Joined: August 24th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Location: Hyrule

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby Crystalbear » December 18th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Mr Aids wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:
Mr Aids wrote:If they were really focusing on story instead of just making money, I daresay Kingdom Hearts 3 would be out by now.

Spoiler! :
Image
/ignored


I did read your point, but Kingdom Hearts is much older than FFXIII. Why should that take a backseat? How many years is it going to be between the release of KH1 and KH3, in comparison to FXIII and FXIII Versus?


Because maybe Versus XIII has been in development for far longer? You can only hold so much on your plate at once.
Image
User avatar
Crystalbear
 
Posts: 495
Joined: January 20th, 2008, 2:31 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby Seven Rain » December 18th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Mr Aids wrote:Why should that take a backseat?

Well that's not my place to say. I assume it's simply because Nomura doesn't want to spend his entire life working on KH games. If I were in his shoes I'd want a bit of variety as well.

I'm not trying to justify the numerous portable games or anything, (in fact I prefer to stay out of this argument as best I can,) but I'm just saying that the side games and portable titles aren't keeping us from KH3. Many people dislike the portable titles and such but if they weren't around we wouldn't have KH3 right now, we'd have KH2 and a field of chirping crickets. S'all I'm trying to say.
As for my opinion on KH3 taking "backseat" to Versus I'm sure you can guess by my hype for it that I'm a bit biased in favor of Versus but I don't think we should fault Nomura for wanting to develop something new before KH3.



Crystalbear wrote:Because maybe Versus XIII has been in development for far longer? You can only hold so much on your plate at once.

Well the thing is he's not doing Versus and KH3 at the same time. It's not like he paused some secret KH3 development to do Versus, he started Versus before any KH3 development has begun. After Versus I imagine they're going to do some modifications to the battle system and then start working on KH3. It's not that he's doing both and favoring Versus, it's that he's simply doing Versus first.
XIII however was worked on at the same time, but the KH team has been all Versus.

In fact, if you check the Wikipedia page for KH3 itself;
Kingdom Hearts III is an upcoming video game of unknown release and platform. It has been the subject of much rumour and speculation, though the project has yet to begin development, due to series creator Tetsuya Nomura's focus on Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance and the upcoming Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

In fact this corrects me a bit. KH3D has put a bit of a hold on it but that's likely due to it being like BBS. It's actually important to the story instead of being a digital story rehash of sorts like the Coded games. 3D is linking KH2 and 3 together, which is why it's being done first, obviously.

And here I said I wanted to stay out of it. Why must our KH thread devolve into arguing so quickly? ;___;
Image
User avatar
Seven Rain
 
Posts: 23789
Joined: February 21st, 2008, 7:05 am
Location: Nostalgia Town

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests