Kingdom Hearts General

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby Seven Rain » January 26th, 2017, 7:39 am

The end of 0.2 got me so giddy I felt like I was 13 all over again, oh man. My hype for KH3 is probably reaching close to KH1 hype levels. As much as 2 blew me away I never felt the same excitement for it as I did for the first game, and all the crazy events at the end of 0.2 had me smiling and laughing out of sheer love for how things are going down, (and seeing the characters and interactions in those sweet, sweet KH3 graphics. It truly feels like the core of KH and it's case were "back" in a way that the interim games never made me feel,) and shedding a tear of happiness here and there knowing that the series can still make me feel this way.
On top of all that Aqua is more badass than ever before, and I really didn't think it was possible for her to get any cooler.

I was also losing my shit over the strange nostalgic feeling of playing through the Realm of Darkness during, (some actual spoilers here, I guess;)
Spoiler! :
... The end events of Kingdom Hearts 1.
0.2 basically leads straight up to the point where Micky and the boys close the door after destroying Ansem of Darkness. So not only was the whole game a great preview of the gorgeous visuals and gameplay of KH3, (though I did have a few issues with responsiveness, but nothing major,) but it was all in an awesome nostalgic revisiting of stuff from the end of the very first game, running around fighting Shadows and Darksides in the Realm of Darkness.

Soft Dorito wrote:
Spoiler! :
Like exactly what is the relation between Ven and Sora? Is there one beyond the whole connection between hearts? It's even mentioned in BBS that Ven is from Destiny Islands, though since his heart got all broken when Sora was born. And would that clear up why Roxas looks like Ven? And what happens to Sora if Ven gets free of Sora?

Yeah I'm pretty excited to see what kind of stuff goes down with Ventus, and the rest of the BBS crew for that matter. It's gonna be awesome seeing interactions between them and the new heroes.
I can't bother speculating right now since I still need to play DDD and it's like super plot-important and I'm still as lost now as I was over a decade ago on some of the plot details but either way I'm looking forward to all the revelations.
Spoiler! :
And I wanna know what the fuck is in Luxu's box, Nomura. Don't you dare save that for the next "saga" or whatever.
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » June 11th, 2017, 2:50 am

YOOOOOOOOOO!
Seven Rain

Postby kevansevans » June 21st, 2017, 11:17 pm

I'll be excited when they announce a PC port ;-;
kevansevans

Postby Seven Rain » July 15th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Pretty hype on a Toy Story world! That movie is hella nostalgic for me, and I'm glad they're going with something that classic. I figured if we got a Pixar or Disney 3D world it would be something newer and more topical. Hell I still bet we're getting a Frozen world.

(Haven't actually watched the trailer yet but it's 5+ minutes and reveals a new world so I'm sure it's lit.)

*EDIT*
Trailer's subbed. Wonder if they'll release a version with English voice acting later? I'm really curious about how many Toy Story actors will reprise their roles, if any. It'd be pretty dope to hear Tom Hanks and Tim Allen in a Kingdom Hearts game.

And can I just saw how awesome it is that modern consoles are powerful enough to replicate the original Toy Story's visual style almost perfectly?
Spoiler! :

*EDIT*
Huh. Apparently the Toy Story world won't be based on any particular movie. Pixar specifically requested that they create an original story for it, which is pretty cool.
http://gematsu.com/2017/07/tetsuya-nomu ... tory-world
Seven Rain

Postby simplykit19 » December 23rd, 2018, 2:16 pm

been waiting for the 3rd game for a long time

cant wait to beat sephiroth again as a hidden boss :P
simplykit19

Postby Seven Rain » December 23rd, 2018, 2:41 pm

simplykit19 wrote:cant wait to beat sephiroth again as a hidden boss :P

I hope they bring that back. Part of me always wished they'd bring in other FF villains as superbosses but Sephiroth in KH just feels like a tradition now, even if it was only two games.
Honestly I hope they give us multiple hidden bosses in general. That's one of the biggest things I want to see. KH1 and 2 are amazing and really stand the test of time, but the spin-offs were hit and miss and even the good ones felt a bit bare in comparison. I really hope KH3 will give us enough content to at least rival the vanilla versions of the first two.
Seven Rain

Postby kevansevans » December 25th, 2018, 2:17 am

Guess I'll have to be settling for getting it on console. Already have a PS4 now, great console, just would have preferred it to be on PC.

Ah well, if the game ends up being good enough, and ported to PC, I won't mind a second purchase.
kevansevans

Postby kevansevans » February 11th, 2019, 3:53 am

Well I won't say the game was a complete disappointment, just something that had so much potential to be better.

I think if it ever happens, this is a PC port I'll take a pass on.
kevansevans

Postby Bliss » February 11th, 2019, 11:34 pm

I haven't played it, and most likely won't because I don't own any consoles outside of a PC. Anyways, I've seen a few people play it and the world selection is terrible outside of Toy Story and Frozen. What confuses me about the game is that Square Enix clearly was marketing the game towards the younger crowd, but the story cannot be understood by anyone older than 14. The story is all over the place, and I can't see the younger crowd getting into it. BTW, where is Max?!

Bliss

Postby Seven Rain » February 22nd, 2019, 10:53 pm

I've been trying to avoid giving my full thoughts on it until finishing it, but I've been in a wordy mood lately and felt like typing a bunch of shit so HERE WE GO.
(Disclaimer: I am currently in the middle of Pirates of the Caribbean World, so not done yet, but I have an idea of the rest of the game's non-story content thanks to leaks and early news and official promo stuff.)

As an enormous fan of this series, 1 and 2 have always been my favorites by a huge margin. BBS and 3D had some really cool stories and moments but the gameplay felt like it really fell flat compared to how tight and smooth the mainline games are, but at the same time I know how the wind likes to blow with modern games so I keep my expectations reigned in as much as possible while simultaneously observing/judging how 3 holds up compared to the previous mainlines as opposed to the interim games.

It's... I don't want to say disappointing, because it's a really great game with lots of flair and additions to the gameplay and combat and overall quality while also bringing back great mainline mechanics like the menu system as opposed to the command deck, (if there's one thing you'll hear me hate on the most with the BBS/3D gameplay it's the command deck,) but there are certain things here and there that feel rough around the edges and/or lacking compared to how well everything flowed in KH2. I feel like I'm going to come off as too critical here but if so it's only out of love for one of my favorite game series and the high standards I can't help but hold it to:
Spoiler! :
  • Menus are a bit slow and cumbersome compared to the others. I dunno, this one is more of a gut feeling, it might just be me.
  • Movement feels a bit less tight than it used to be, I almost want to say clunky in a few aspects, but it's hard to explain. A good example is how Sora moves if you try to spin the analog stick or make a sharp turn. I think games that give characters full animation for turning and maneuvering like that need to justify it with a weighty world and feel, but KH is not weighty at all, it is very much the opposite and it sometimes feels cumbersome trying to move Sora through the environment, but it's a petty gripe that rarely affects the actual combat, and it doesn't take long to get used to.
  • Worlds having more length and depth is awesome when the world is fun, but for a few it felt like they just dragged on too long without doing anything terribly interesting. I was excited for Monsters Inc. world because of Vanitas but then it ended up being maybe an hour or two of "We gotta find Boo's door! Oh no heartless! We gotta find Boo's door! Oh no heartless! There's Boo's door, oh no Vani-Oh okay Sully just chuck him in there I guess."
    I wish they all received the original story treatment like Toy Story did. If I recall it was Pixar that made that request but the world shined even brighter because of it, as opposed to the others that rehash the movie plot like old KH games did, and I wish Square had followed that idea with the others. I've just been so used to condensed retreading of the original movies that I never realized how much the Disney stuff could really shine if given some actual effort and originality. That's probably why Olympus become one of my favorites over the course of the series because not only are the characters and world awesome in general, they mix in lots of unique stuff with the movie references, like Hades recruiting Cloud and Auron for his dirty work. The Disney feels less tacked-on when it's given more unique elements outside of the movie stories.
  • The lack of Keyblades, KH worlds, FF characters, and endgame content is a bummer, (though in terms of endgame content I'm going off of leaks and hearsay since I haven't reached it. I understand that it consists of Ultima Weapon synthesis and a single optional boss among a bunch of battle gates or something that open up,) but Forme Changes are pretty rad and make the small-ish Keyblade roster feel a bit bigger. (I miss Drive Forms, though.) I don't complain about the Disney content in KH like I used to, but 3 feels like it leans way too heavily on it. There are only a few Keyblades that aren't Disney-based, (and no Oathkeeper or Oblivion!?) and the only KH-original worlds were a very condensed Twilight Town and the finale. It also would've been nice to see more 2D movies represented, especially after how gorgeous Olympus was.
  • The game is way too easy without Critical mode. Even Proud feels like a cakewalk now. I was really excited that they brought back one of the linchpins of 2's difficulty, (Cure taking the entire bar as opposed to the command deck games where you could load multiple cures and essentially become immortal,) but I'm a couple worlds off from the finale and nothing has challenged me yet.

Now granted, 1 and 2 got most of their extra content in later versions such as Final Mix. I also think I've heard that Nomura decided to cut out the FF content due to how massive the original KH roster has become, which is honestly pretty fair.

They've said they don't plan on doing a Final Mix this time but hopefully they simply meant they won't re-release the whole game as opposed to doing a DLC/expansion that adds FM content. I'd love an expansion but I don't want to see this game get DLC trickled down in the form of a boss here or a Keyblade there, make it one big expansion that adds more weapons, bosses, and Critical Mode and I'll be completely satisfied. (An arena/Colosseum return would be nice too, but that could honestly stand on it's own as DLC if done well.)

And again I feel like I'm being really critical here, but aside from the stuff I mentioned before, everything else is stellar. It's incredible how much writing and characterization has improved. The characters interact more, the graphics are gorgeous, the bosses are massive and fun to fight, the music is amazing, being able to upgrade old Keyblades is a great touch, (thank you for giving me a way to keep using Kingdom Key throughout the entire game!) swapping Keyblades and shortcuts in-battle keeps things fresh, selfies are hilarious, the new Gummiship gameplay isn't perfect but it's so refreshingly different and getting to actually explore space and see these giant Disney worlds adds a sense of scale that was missing in the old games, and I have a lot of faith that I'll be satisfied with the way things progress and end.
People hate on Nomura but he's a huge inspiration of mine and I fully embrace all the over-the-top, convoluted, melodramatic, nonsensical silliness that this bizarre series encompasses. I love everything about it, and have smiled almost non-stop through all the cutscenes and reveals and foreshadowing.

For me it feels like the gameplay in 2.5 might never be topped, but 3 has certainly topped it in terms of sheer style, heart, characters and writing. Seeing so many different eras of the series come together made me giddy in 0.2 and 3D and still gets me seeing it all come together in 3. I don't ramble like this much anymore so who knows if I'm forgetting anything or falling short of making sense on some points but I think the good definitely outweighs the bad in KH3, and even if it doesn't quite feel to me like it can topple the other two completely, it can at least join them atop the pinnacle of the series, not quite taking the throne but still giving me so much satisfaction that BBS and 3D couldn't outside of the story.

Spoiler! :
And holy hell let me tell you people, seeing KH1 Sora with a new model in KH3 graphics struck me with such a powerful desire for a full remake of KH1. Fuck FFVII, I want Kingdom Hearts remade with graphics good enough to rival that legendary opening cutscene, (but forego remaking the rest of the series of course, that's overkill, but GIVE ME KINGDOM HEARTS 1 IN THESE GRAPHICS LIKE RIGHT GOD DAMN YESTERDAY.)

Bliss wrote:the world selection is terrible outside of Toy Story and Frozen

Them's fightin' words when we have Olympus and Pirates of the Caribbean worlds. I haven't gotten to it yet but I'm sure the Big Hero 6 world is cool, too.
Seven Rain

Previous

Return to Video Games