Kingdom Hearts General

Kingdom Hearts General

Postby tveye » December 17th, 2011, 11:30 am

Guys! I don't know how excited you are for Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, but if you're not then you should be. A TON of news was released today. In addition to the Hunchback of Notre Dame world, there's going to be a Pinocchio world called Prankster's Paradise, a Tron Legacy world, and the Mickey movie the Three Musketeers.

• Also, Axel (KH2), young Terranort (KH:BbS), Vanitas (KH: BbS), Xion (KH: 358/2 Days), Roxas, Joshua (TWEWY), Rhyme (TWEWY), Beat (TWEWY), and Shiki (TWEWY) will also appear!
  • Axel is also going by his real name (Lea) so maybe he's been turned back into a human?
  • The Beagle Boys also show up in the Musketeer World.

Magazine scan
tveye

Re: Kingdom Hearts General

Postby Seven Rain » December 17th, 2011, 11:49 am

BAH! I always meant to make Kingdom Hearts General but procrastinated too much. I wanted to have a big fancy, showy first post like I did with the DBZ thread, hahaha.

Okay, sooooo yeah, I'm a MASSIVE fan of the Kingdom Hearts series. Some of the side games I was admittedly more than okay with skipping over, but I absolutely adore the series as a whole, and a lot of that is because of how captivated I was with it as a kid.
I remember in middleschool seeing a big article about it in Gameinformer but sort of skipped over it thinking it was just some Disney game, (keep in mind I had no idea what FF or Squaresoft was prior to playing KH. My best friend whom I made in Middle School introduced me to the PSX FF games after we started getting to know each other more,) but after seeing the TV Spot and hearing Utada's awesome music over those scenes I was immediately blown away. You have no idea how enthralled with it I was. Growing up with games like SMRPG and the Zelda series and such I was always obsessed with epics and adventure stories as a youngster, and this made it clear from one short commercial it would be an adventure more mind-blowing than anything I've ever played.

I didn't even own a PS2 at the time of seeing that commercial. As soon as I saw it I immediately had my sights set on a PS2 for Christmas/Birthday, all for Kingdom Hearts. I was so obsessed that I bought the KH Player's Guide months before I had the game, and constantly skimmed over it, looking at some of the bosses and characters it simply made me even more obsessed and excited. When I finally played it, oh man... The day my Aunt came home with a PS2 and copy of Kingdom Hearts... Watching that intro and hearing the same music from the commercial, running around in Sora's Dive to the Heart, seeing Destiny Island for the first time, becoming immediately aware of Sora and Kairi's connection and feeling that instant rivalry with Riku and fighting him heavens know how many times in the first half of Destiny Islands, hearing Ansem's cryptic words in the cave, seeing the epic events of Sora finding his Keyblade as all hell breaks loose, arriving in Traverse Town, NO GAME had made me feel so blown away and amazing to just be playing it. (Though quite a few have come close.)
That feeling stuck with me from beginning to end. From Destiny Island to Traverse Town to the Colliseum, (still my favorite arena side-game of the series thus far, didn't care much for KH2's...) to Hollow Bastion and so on... Oh, and don't even get me started on the events at Hollow Bastion, oh man... The events with Sora and Riku, the fights between the two, Sora's reuniting with Kairi, it really is impossible to explain just how much I loved the game. Even things most people tend to hate on, like Nomura's character designs and convoluted story telling, things like those made it even more captivating to me.

I could keep going forever about the first game but would rather keep this from being too long... So anyways you can understand that I was crazy excited for Kingdom Hearts II, played it and loved it, (though not as much as the first Kingdom Hearts, obviously... My personal hype and obsession for that game set the bar in my mind far too high,) though Roxas annoyed me to no end, even moreso when this small sub-fanbase of people started popping up who played KH2 without touching the first, think Org. XIII is just the coolest thing since Fonzie and are crazy about Roxas and such.
I mean, even I liked Orginization XIII and the Nobodies but... I just... I hated Roxas...
I will give KH2 mad props for the final world and battle, though. The first game's final battle was still amazing, but man oh man, the fight with Xemnas was spectacular. The music was amazing, (even moreso than usual,) the massive castle dragon was just awesome, and fighting it while it's impaled within the very city you were fighting through part of earlier on, and having Riku at your side made it all that much cooler. (Especially the crazy lazer deflection near the end of the Xemnas fight, oh lawd that was crazy-awesome.)
Oh, and as nostalgic as Simple and Clean is I love Sanctuary a bit more.

So anywhoo I skipped over COM and the DS games, and almost missed out on BBS due to my hate for UMDs but I sucked it up and bought it, played through Ventus' story, (maybe not as annoying as Roxas, but still just a pussified version of Sora,) and still gotta get around to the other characters and such.

I'm looking forward to KH3D a lot, especially knowing it's importance to the plot. Leading from the end of KH2 to the beginning of KH3 will do a great job of getting me excited for KH3, (which hopefully won't take as long as Versus to release...)

Okay, so blah blah blah, rambling is over. Not like anyone is gonna read all of this anyways.
Love Kingdom Hearts, love Sora, love Utada and Shimomura, nostalgia dial turned to 11, and I love Nomura. THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT.
It's all had a huge affect on my writing and, (to a much lesser extent,) character designs as well.

Can't wait for 3D, and can't wait for KH3.
Last edited by Seven Rain on January 6th, 2012, 8:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
Seven Rain

Postby Aeris » December 17th, 2011, 12:05 pm

tveye wrote:Guys! I don't know how excited you are for Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, but if you're not then you should be. A TON of news was released today. In addition to the Hunchback of Notre Dame world, there's going to be a Pinocchio world called Prankster's Paradise, a Tron Legacy world, and the Mickey movie the Three Musketeers.

• Also, Axel (KH2), young Terranort (KH:BbS), Vanitas (KH: BbS), Xion (KH: 358/2 Days), Roxas, Joshua (TWEWY), Rhyme (TWEWY), Beat (TWEWY), and Shiki (TWEWY) will also appear!
  • Axel is also going by his real name (Lea) so maybe he's been turned back into a human?
  • The Beagle Boys also show up in the Musketeer World.

Magazine scan

Wow, I hadn't heard about any of this.
Aeris

Postby Crystalbear » December 17th, 2011, 12:06 pm

I've never played any of the previous KH games before, mostly because I'm not a PS person, but I totally want to get Dream Drop Distance... If only because of the Notre-Dame world. =P

I imagine it'll be incredibly difficult for me to follow the story though, but oh well, it's not like I can play the originals anyway.
Crystalbear

Postby tveye » December 17th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Okay, so blah blah blah, rambling is over. Not like anyone is gonna read all of this anyways.

WRONG! Your experience is similar to mine. I was 10 when I first heard about Kingdom Hearts...pretty sure I was already 11 or 12 when it came out. But, yeah.

Everytime I would go on a vacation, my parents would always buy me a magazine to read on the plane and I would always choose a videogame magazine (which were entertaining to read back then. Now, not so much) and I decided I would choose the biggest one I could find. I came across a holiday issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly and on the cover was a zombie from House of the Dead 3. But, there was also a few pages inside detailing a crossover of what I thought was Disney and Final Fantasy VII (because it showed Cid, Aerith, and Yuffie. I had never played a Final Fantasy game aside from the SNES ones but I knew enough about FF7 to recognize the characters). I thought this was the coolest thing ever and I read that article over and over...

Later when the game was released, the commercial with Simple and Clean was...so amazing. I was like, "NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS? TARZAN? WHAT?!?!?!"

When I first bought the game, I was hooked. My parents even knew they could bribe me with the second one...which they did. They bought it for me and I had to wear a retainer for a month without missing a day in order to finally play it. It was torture. >_>

Anyways, I own EVERY KH game except for Coded. I beaten them all as well and I have to say Birth By Sleep is my favorite.
tveye

Postby Seven Rain » December 17th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Ahaha, well I'm glad another big fan was the one to make the thread then.
Seven Rain

Postby tveye » December 17th, 2011, 1:08 pm

It's probably the greatest series I've ever played. I'm going to buy a 3DS just to play KH3D...
tveye

Postby Afrohawkman » December 17th, 2011, 1:14 pm

tveye wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Okay, so blah blah blah, rambling is over. Not like anyone is gonna read all of this anyways.

WRONG! Your experience is similar to mine. I was 10 when I first heard about Kingdom Hearts...pretty sure I was already 11 or 12 when it came out. But, yeah.

SAME HERE! Although I got into the series backwards. I heard about Kingdom Hearts via Chain of Memories. The commercial with Utada and Chain of Memories is what got me into the story. I didn't know what was going on when I first played, mainly because that entire game is a backwards memory lane. Where half of it is true and half of it isn't. I didn't even know who Kairi was (I replayed it after playing KH so I understood it). But yeah, I really loved the style, believe it or not. The combat was interesting for someone like me who liked being tactical. Then I went onto play KH, loved that, borrowed my brother's PS2 for KH2, and the rest is history.

Man I can't wait for KH3D! I was eccstatic for the awesome gameplay and new worlds, but after hearing Xion...oh man. This went from a day one purchase to a possible midnight launch...ALL OF MY TIME. I absolutely can't wait.

@Seven Rain: You're not missing anything by not playing CoM, they pretty much "explain" what happens during 358/2 Days. You can probably skip that one too, it's only the story on how Roxas came to gain his power and how the other nobodies acted during the course between KH1 and the beginning of KH2. It's really only an explanation of Roxas (and Xion) ( :( ) so I'm sure you don't want to play that haha. Re:Coded though was pretty damn fun. The story was kind of iffy, and its kind of an interesting little "here's why Mickey sent the letter to Sora at the end of KH2" explanation thing, but I really liked it for its gameplay. It took the awesome command style of BBS, made the leveling and ability system very interesting, and added in a special Keyblade leveling thing for different playstyles. It was very cool. If you find it in a bargain bin, pick it up. Definitely a lot of fun.
Afrohawkman

Postby Seven Rain » December 17th, 2011, 1:22 pm

I'll keep that in mind. I was a bit interested in Re:Coded but decided against it due to the D-Pad... If I get a KH craving after my fill of BBS and 3D I might try to get it sometime. It'd probably be a lot more fun with the analog stick... The only thing that worries me is KH3D spoiling me with it's controls/gameplay/graphics/etc. it might make it pretty hard to play Re:Coded.
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » December 17th, 2011, 1:30 pm

It...it will. Like, look at it. KH3D is GORGEOUS. The faster-paced gameplay, the continuing-story, the fact that Sora is actually wearing a different outfit, the much-better graphics...Yeah if you don't get it now, you're probably going to feel weird buying it later. In my opinion, Re:Coded feels a bit faster paced than BBS, doesn't look as good graphically (though that's a given), has about the same level of uniqueness (in that they're both quite unique), and is MAYBE a bit shorter than BBS. I'm not sure, I never played BBS (though I know more about it than most people). I'd say get it beforehand if you're really interested. Otherwise you might go back, feel it's a step back, and just not play it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, but in comparison to how KH3D looks now... HHHNNNNNGHHHHHgetitnow
Afrohawkman

Postby tveye » December 17th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:Man I can't wait for KH3D! I was eccstatic for the awesome gameplay and new worlds, but after hearing Xion...oh man. This went from a day one purchase to a possible midnight launch...ALL OF MY TIME. I absolutely can't wait.

I know! I don't understand why a large majority of the fanbase hates on Xion. Probably because she was a possible love interest to Roxas and EVERYBODY KNOWS that Roxas is supposed to be with Axel hurr durr.
tveye

Postby Crystalbear » December 17th, 2011, 1:41 pm

I uh... don't like Simple and Clean. =P I dislike the singing and its atrocious lyrics. If I do listen to it, then I listen to the Japanese original (Hikari) since it's more bearable. I do like Sanctuary though, the English version, the Japanesee original I can't stand. Ironic how it's like the opposite...

Oh, apparently Dream Drop Distance will get its own original song theme.
Crystalbear

Postby KirbyHead » December 17th, 2011, 3:26 pm

Tell me when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out on a console. I'm getting tired of all these side games.
KirbyHead

Postby Crystalbear » December 17th, 2011, 4:20 pm

KirbyHead wrote:Tell me when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out on a console. I'm getting tired of all these side games.

Oh, so you'd rather have KH 3 be a rushed game and have it turn out like crap as a result of being rushed.

I'm getting tired of all of these complaints about the side games.
Crystalbear

Postby Advertisement » December 17th, 2011, 4:30 pm

DISNEY X SQUARE?! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.
lawl JK.

Ive never played Kingdom Hearts. Well, except Re: Coded. I found it extremely boring, even if Mickey was being a total badass.
Advertisement

Next

Return to Video Games