Hunters report in! It's time for Monster Hunter general!

Hunters report in! It's time for Monster Hunter general!

Postby Seven Rain » October 24th, 2012, 7:18 pm

[2015 UPDATE!]

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is right around the corner; Releasing February 13th in western regions.

(There's a demo available on the eShop, so give it a DL!)

Now unlike the 3DS version of MH3U, 4U will have online play, so I hope SJ Hunters are reading to roll out and take down some monsters once the game's dropped and we've knocked out some story stuff!

So without further ado; FALL IN, HUNTERS! List those Friend Codes, and make sure to announce if you add anyone/everyone so people can add you back!
Feel free to list your NNID if you have the Wii U version of MH3U!
Once everyone's all added up, you can organize your hunting sessions in this thread, via PM, or by messaging on Steam!

[Afrohawkman]
3DS Friend Code: 0259-0380-8157
Nintendo Network ID: Afrohawk

[ApaFox]
3DS Friend Code: 3050-7833-2510

[HalfAssedChaos]
3DS Friend Code: 5241-2620-0999

[Hunterkirizaki]
3DS Friend Code: 3711-9301-1215

[Seven Rain]
3DS Friend Code: 3411-0990-8193
Nintendo Network ID: SevenRain

And remember, be chill! This is MonHun, and while some players get mad over any imperfection in a hunt, remember to laugh if your buddies accidentally launch you or blow you up, and don't pass judgement on people who cart! Some people might have their annoyances and peeves, but hunting with The Party Gang means no negative vibes!

Another note - If you're hunting with me, find a safe area and hop over to Steam chat to discuss abandoning if you feel you aren't up to snuff on a hunt.
Sometimes you might want to abandon while others would rather stay, and I personally wouldn't want you to abandon unless you really don't want to waste your items or wait around for the hunt to end.
I'd much rather have a friend AFK at the base camp or gather resources/materials somewhere else safe while others finish the fight so everyone can still get some rewards for coming along, even if they take their leave of the fight itself! Don't feel insecure about discussing a course of action if you really think you'll be more of a detriment than helpful, though even if you triple cart you can still learn and improve even a little bit, so don't be afraid to fight against the odds, either!

*EDIT*
Everyone should check out Gaijin Hunter's vids.
They have fantastic tutorials on all of the weapons that might even teach you a thing or two about weps you thought you knew everything about.
Spoiler! :
I was blown away with how much CB stuff I didn't know about!

Whether you're new to MH, looking for a new weapon to try out but don't want to rush out without knowing how to use it, or just want to know everything there is to know about your weapon(s) of choice, give some of the vids a watch!
There's also a playlist of other tips and guides besides weapons that might be worth checking out!

And remember to check out the Image
It's an invaluable resource for any hunter, though for MH3U the MH3G Dex is unbeatable.

*EDIT*
Speaking of the wiki, here're some Monster count comparisons for 3U and Gen 4:
Git fukken hype.

*EDIT*
While dishing out some unsolicited info/advice in the thread I figured some stuff would be good to add to the front page;
- FAILING QUESTS! When you get KO'd it's called "carting" and getting KO'd three times in a quest is called "triple carting" and causes you to fail the quest. You walk away with nothing and waste any items used on the quest. (In multiplayer you have three carts between everyone, so even if you don't get KO'd, you'll still fail if other people go down too many times!) You also fail if you run out the clock, but that should be even more obvious.
- ABANDONING QUESTS! Now if you abandon a quest, you essentially reset everything to before the quest. All of your items revert to what you had before starting, so abandoning a quest isn't a bad option if you feel you can't make it in time or if you've carted twice and aren't confident you can beat it. Especially early on when items are scarce and valuable.
Abandoning a quest basically only costs you time and the Zenny you spent taking on the quest. There are times when it's worth failing, though. Like if you find something rare while mining or carving a lopped-off tail.
When abandoning a multiplayer hunt you simply leave, and the other players remain on the hunt unless they abandon as well.
Most folks try to be courteous and avoid abandoning a multiplayer quest even after two carts unless everyone is in agreement about it. If you're thinking about abandoning, hop over to Steam chat or whatever your means of communication is and discuss a course of action!

- MOUNTING! When someone mounts a monster, cease all attacks and wait. Use the chance to heal, eat, sharpen, set traps, etc. The time you have to attack a monster who's been knocked over by a successful mount is much better than the time you have to attack it while it's mounted and flailing around!
It's also worth noting that Mounting acts like a status ailment; In that each monster has it's own tolerance towards it that will increase with each mount. Supposedly the rate at which you can mount monsters is turned up in the demo as well, so it might not be very spammable in the real game. All the more reason to be careful not to interrupt it once someone hops on a monsters back!
- IDEAL TIMES FOR ITEMS! Monsters typically have three modes; Standard, Fatigued, and Raging. When Raging, they'll be more immune to things like traps, while when fatigued everything lasts a lot longer, so when fighting a monster that you know is going to take a while, wait until you see it drooling/panting/becoming sluggish in it's movements to trap for extra damage! Other stuff like Flash Bombs have their ideal times for use as well, they can help keep a raging monster a bit under control while it fights the stun instead of assaulting you relentlessly, and they serve to ground flying monsters like the Raths. A Flash Bomb in front of a flying monster will send it crashing to the ground.
- DISPOSABLE EARPLUGS ARE AMAZING! There's a new item called Disposable Earplugs that every set in the 4U demo has on hand. Use 'em. Eating one blocks one roar the next time your character hears one, and that roar time can grant you valuable time to get early hits on the monster or build up more of your Mount meter.

HAPPY HUNTING!
Spoiler! :

[____________]

I guess it's as good a time as any to start this thread.

Monster Hunter is a hardy series of action games that are all about gathering with fellow friends and hunters, wolfing down meals before running out to hunt down massive dinosaurs and beasts hell-bent on annihilating you, and carving materials out of these monsters in order to make new gear to take on stronger monsters with. It's a vicious cycle and a vicious game, ready and willing to drain hours upon hours of your time in exchange for the euphoric adventures of this wonderful series, all taking place in a fantastic fictional world not only inhabited by Monsters and Hunters, but the intelligent and ever-immortal cat folk known as Felynes, beautiful locales and towns as well as truckloads of charm.

The majority of the series has failed to reach western shores due to it's cult status over here compared to the immense popularity it's enjoyed in Japan, but Capcom has thankfully been able to trickle some key, (and amazing,) releases over here, such as the content-packed Freedom Unite for PSP, the gorgeous console entry Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii, and the upcoming Mosnter Hunter 3 Ultimate, a massive expansion to MH3(Tri) with tons of new and returning content on top of what Tri already had, as well as HD treatment and new gear designs for some stuff.
Returning monsters from older games, new subspecies of Tri's monsters as well as a new one here and there all join the party to give MH3U over twice as many marks to hunt and battle than Tri had.
Spoiler! :

Now then, this thread is for posting everything MH-related! Stories, opinions, meet-ups, FC's, hype, tips, RNG lamenting, favorite monsters and weapons, etc. etc.
I think the best way to start the thread off would be Tri players posting their FC's and anyone ready to report for Wii U MH3U duty in March to post here so we know who all we can expect to go hunting with when March rolls around~

Now I will say that MHTri was unfortunately region locked, meaning NA couldn't play with EU players, and there's a chance of MH3U being the same way, (as well as the worst case scenario of MH3U having a subscription-based online service like the Japanese version of Tri, but I'm sure Capcom knows better than to do something like that especially after making Tri's online free in the west,) so you may want to mentally prepare yourself to be shut off from hunting with some of your SJ homies should you get this game.

So yeah, who's getting MH3U on the Wii U?
And even though I know I'll have to fight the same stuff again when 3U comes out, I've been playing Tri again, so if anyone wants to do some early hunting with me instead of waiting until March, lemme know now so we can go kill stuff before I switch games again. I'm pretty sure I've already added any US SJers that play Tri, but I'll try to get around to posting my FC later all the same.

*EDIT*
I feel that this is front-page worthy to replace the bad news of region-locking; Come April 2013 the console version of MH3U will no longer be region locked in the West.
A patch coming in April 2013 will make it possible for owners of the NA and EU versions of MH3U to hunt together online, as well as add Off-TV Play, allowing you to play the game from the Gamepad instead of the TV screen, should you wish to do so.

Now this is an April patch, so when the game launches these features won't yet be available. Take that into consideration if you're not in a terrible hurry to buy the game.
Last edited by Seven Rain on February 25th, 2015, 8:05 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Seven Rain

Re: Hunters report in! It's time for Monster Hunter general!

Postby Bowserknight » October 25th, 2012, 10:42 am

One o my friends is doin a lets play of MHTri and I appeared in an episode. It was my first time playing for like a year so I did badly but I started gettin better
If there's anyone here on a PAL server I'll post my ID and whatever once I find it
Bowserknight

Postby Seven Rain » October 26th, 2012, 1:03 am

Well damn this thread is off to a slow start. Prolly should've waited until 3U was closer, but I've been obsessing. ;___;
Spoiler! :
Also I have found a new love in the Jhen Kodachi. I'm not sure if I'll use SnS when 3U comes out and brings back the Dual Swords, but I'm definitely making this my primary Dragon wep while I play Tri.And huh. I keep forgetting that Diablos isn't a Brute Wyvern. Which is odd to me considering he sure as hell fights like one
Seven Rain

Postby ApaFox » October 26th, 2012, 3:04 am

Seven Rain wrote:Well damn this thread is off to a slow start. Prolly should've waited until 3U was closer, but I've been obsessing. ;___;

Well... I donno, I only got my experience with Tri to talk about. Even then I said what I had to say.

'Cept that I'm also good with SnS... and that I sold the game ages ago for scratch money.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » October 26th, 2012, 3:23 am

I can't remember if you were planning on getting MH3U, Apa. You gonna be there for some hunting in March?
Admittedly one of the reasons I made this thread now is because I was hoping to get some early coverage of who all here is planning/hoping to get 3U, haha.
Seven Rain

Postby ApaFox » October 26th, 2012, 3:31 am

If I can afford it, yea.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Bowserknight » October 26th, 2012, 10:18 am

Hey here's something: Monster Hunter 4's new weapon sounds really cool
Hitting things with it, shooting things with it, summoning a giant bug to fight monsters for you
It's even more complicated sounding than the Bowgun
Bowserknight

Postby Seven Rain » October 26th, 2012, 3:43 pm

That does sound awesome. I've been avoiding looking up MH4 info since I'm pretty much devoted exclusively to console entries in the series now. I wonder if they've revealed any newcomer monsters for it yet?

*EDIT*
Bleh, another reason I can't wait for 3U is because even without factoring in SJers I'll still have some buddies to play online with. High Rank is just... Not solo-friendly at all. I can survive absolutely fine and attack efficiently, but even with my best LS I can just never do enough damage to finish stuff off before the time limit, and this is all with Attack Up (L) on my armor.
*Sigh*
Guess I gotta muster up the courage to join some randoms later tonight. I might as well, since my biggest fear is always landing in a room with people who suck, but it's not like I'm being anymore productive having to abandon every other mission because I've hit the 5 minute mark with no signs of limping than I would be hunting with players who get themselves killed too much. I hate being hooked on this right now, I wanna wait for 3 Ultimaaate. D:

*EDITEDIT*
So I found this cool site that has some MH3U/3G info and some galleries and stu-http://mh3g.wetpaint.com/page/G-Rank+Armor+Gallery
Spoiler! :
Oh G-Rank... My body fearfully... Eagerly... Feargerly awaits you.

*LONELYEDIT*
Hey guys, check this ou-
*Waits for tumbleweed to roll by*

Anywho, MH3U's western release has been confirmed to have free online play.
My slight paranoia has been quelled~
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » October 29th, 2012, 10:46 am

I'm not surprised in the slightest on the free multiplayer. Nintendo knows better than to charge money for online, especially since they haven't had the best online. Hopefully the new console will bring in some better online but we'll see. Can't wait to use that keyboard on the Wii U pad! It's gonna be sooooo cooool.

In any case, discussing previous Monster Hunter games, I still have Tri but the last time I played it, it was some time ago and I wasn't very good at it. I don't have many stories to tell and could never beat that underwater boss. Hopefully this around I'll get more equipped.
Afrohawkman

Postby Seven Rain » October 29th, 2012, 11:21 am

Afrohawkman wrote:I'm not surprised in the slightest on the free multiplayer. Nintendo knows better than to charge money for online, especially since they haven't had the best online. Hopefully the new console will bring in some better online but we'll see. Can't wait to use that keyboard on the Wii U pad! It's gonna be sooooo cooool.

I'm not too worried. Sans the lag in games like BT3 and SSBB, I never had real qualms with the Wii's online, and it goes without saying the Wii U's will be improved. I'm expecting more or less PSN/XBL levels of online. Either way Tri had great online, so I have no worries for this one.
Spoiler! :
And dat Tanjia Pooooort. I just hope the cool player housing from Loc Lac returns. I loved that.
Seven Rain

Postby TerminalMontage » November 3rd, 2012, 10:29 am

I miss Kut-Kus :(
TerminalMontage

Postby Seven Rain » February 24th, 2013, 6:45 am

I wasn't planning on bumping this until the game came out, but with all the Demo discussion in General Gaming it should've been bumped sooner, haha.

Anyways I finally felled the Plesioth in the Demo. With that mean muhfugguh out of the way I'm ready to take on all the new bullshittery 3U has to offer. YOU HEAR THAT, 3U? I'M CALLING YOU OUT!
Spoiler! :
Three weeks is too long of a waaait. ;___;

But yeah, got it limping with Dual Blades and LS, but with the Lance set-up I was finally able to kill it. I Lanced a bit in Tri but I think I'm gonna try and hone my Lancing skills a lot more in 3U... And the Dual Blades... Oh man, the Dual Blades. So much better than they were in FU. Partially thanks to console entries having better controls than FU in general but all the same, they're wonderful.
Tomorrow I must find a way to get me a Wii U Controller Pro for this game, even if it means selling some stuff.
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » February 24th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Oh man, I'm still experimenting with the demo but I agree, Dual Blades are fucking pro. I love 'em to death. I think I'm going to take another go at the Plesioth with those babies before I continue experimenting again.

So far though there's a lot of good choices this time around for me. Dual Blades are fun as hell, Hunting Horn seems like it'd be great to help teammates, and if push comes to shove I might go Gunbow just to be one who's inflicting status effects the whole time. If the "feature" of multiplayer where you can shoot teammates and not hurt them but still get them Invincibility Frames is still in I would definitely go for Gunbow just to do that haha. Well that and healing shots as well, provided I don't miss and hit the monster...like I did in one run where I chose the wrong bullets...BUT I DIGRESS.

Man I love this Demo. Thanks a ton Capcom, you've done well.

EDITEDIT: -watches some of my favorite LPers play the demo-
-see them go for the strong box in the very beginning and pick up more items-

HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THAT WAS THERE. GOSH. DARN. I COULD HAVE HAD TRAPS. AND RATIONS. AND OTHER STUFF. BAH.

Well now I'm going to be playing the Demo twice as hard now.
Afrohawkman

Postby ApaFox » February 24th, 2013, 11:25 pm

So I tries the demo. 3DS, that is. It's definably a game you need that extra pad for.

Still... it works just fine. I didn't try all the new weapons. Used the bow, which is interesting. If I can figure out how to use the coatings, I could see myself maining. Shame there's no normal online for the 3DS. I would have to wait till 4, which is slated for the end of the year(or if we even get it in the US).

Bowguns still as cool as ever.
The Deviantart Image
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » February 24th, 2013, 11:31 pm

ApaFox wrote:If I can figure out how to use the coatings, I could see myself maining.

You mean literally figure out how to use them? Or just figure out how to be proficient with them?
Because if it's the former; I recall it being X+A to apply the selected coating to your arrows.

*EDIT*
Also, hype for the event gear. I didn't even really take any of it into consideration, what with being all crazy excited for the massive increase in content as well as the G-Rank gear, but man... Just remembering all the cool Event Quest loot Tri had makes me weak in the knees imagining what cool stuff 3U will have.
I want to try and avoid looking any of it up, though. Most of it gets altered in the US version since Japan does lots of tie-ins with media over there, (like the Tessaiga being craftable in JP Tri, but not in the US version,) and I've already seen a Sgt. Frog mask for Cha-Cha, as well as a JoJo-themed Hammer that resembles The World, both of which will probably be JP only. :C

*EDIT*
Aww yiss, beat Plessy with the Dual Blades!
And slightly faster than my Lance time, I think.

*EDITEDIT*
And the GS.
H.A.M.
Seven Rain

Next

Return to Video Games