The Official Game Development Thread

Re: The Official Game Development Thread

Postby eishiya » January 6th, 2017, 10:57 pm

Babby wrote their first proper OpenGL shader today! It's a simple gradient map shader, and I'm using it as a post-processing effect to apply a small palette to my game after it's all been rendered. It's not super-useful since my art has a restricted palette to begin with, but it's a start! I have some weird ideas for how to make use of it, will post the results when I get around to using it.

Edit: I changed it into a color map shader for better results and it's pretty sweet. Determining the best match based on RGB is much better than basing it solely on value.
eishiya

Postby kevansevans » March 14th, 2017, 3:12 am

Been working on an open source version of line rider for the past twoo weeks now. It's been slow, but on purpose as I don't want to mess anything up. Cross and backwards compatibility is an absolute must right now. https://github.com/kevansevans/openLR
kevansevans

Postby redandblack64 » March 26th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
eishiya wrote:I thought GameMaker was also mostly GUI-based, with GML required only for logic that's too complex to create using their GUI? At least that's what their website claims.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Guides and devs I looked up always tended to hammer in the idea of "learn GML, forget the GUI." which makes Fusion feel like a breath of fresh air, not to mention 15 bucks for hundreds of dollars worth of software is a pretty fun buy either way.

Have you tried Construct Classic or Construct 2? You don't need to code anything at all since it's all event based.This was made by one person in Construct 2. Classic is free and open source.
redandblack64

Postby Seven Rain » March 26th, 2017, 11:05 pm

redandblack64 wrote:Have you tried Construct Classic or Construct 2? You don't need to code anything at all since it's all event based.This was made by one person in Construct 2. Classic is free and open source.

I've heard of it, even heard people claim it's the most "powerful" of the GUI-based gamedev software, or something along those lines. I've tried a trial version a little bit, but not much. It's hard finding time to take a break from comics and games to try learning Fusion or Construct, but if I ever see it really cheap in a HumbleBundle or some other sale I'll probably grab it.

Learning one of these damn engines is something I really wanna do, but it's so hard to find the time and motivation.
Seven Rain

Postby gun21 » April 1st, 2017, 9:18 am

gun21

Postby eishiya » April 1st, 2017, 10:17 am

gun21 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yewHl_TcOE8

Did you mean to post this in this thread?
eishiya

Postby kevansevans » September 6th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Proof of concept where all the assets are hand drawn: http://kevans-the-gardevoir.tumblr.com/ ... nt-to-make
kevansevans

Postby eishiya » September 6th, 2017, 2:45 pm

kevansevans wrote:Proof of concept where all the assets are hand drawn: http://kevans-the-gardevoir.tumblr.com/ ... nt-to-make

Neat!
I don't know what exactly you're aiming for, but something similar to consider is making it all (environment, other characters, etc) look like a doodle on a single piece of paper rather than a bunch of distinct cutout pieces. Bonus points if the white parts of your sprites, when overlapping other stuff, look like those underlying bits were erased (grey smudges).
eishiya

Postby kevansevans » September 7th, 2017, 11:56 am

eishiya wrote:
kevansevans wrote:Proof of concept where all the assets are hand drawn: http://kevans-the-gardevoir.tumblr.com/ ... nt-to-make

Neat!
I don't know what exactly you're aiming for, but something similar to consider is making it all (environment, other characters, etc) look like a doodle on a single piece of paper rather than a bunch of distinct cutout pieces. Bonus points if the white parts of your sprites, when overlapping other stuff, look like those underlying bits were erased (grey smudges).

That's actually the goal. The idea came to me as each kingdom of people were populated by characters drawn in different mediums. So like "Princess Pencil", "Marker Monarch", "Count Crayon". And the world would look the same, buildings being made out of construction paper, and more niche objects being pen doodles.

Video of the "boiling" effect I want an animate objects to have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd15AjYCUQo
kevansevans

Postby Alexis_Royce » December 2nd, 2017, 12:04 pm

I made a visual novel! I wanted to do a NaNoRenO for November, but it got a little out of hand and some friends pitched in assistance. 'May I Take Your Order' is a short visual novel about a half hour long with five endings, supernatural elements, and a little bit of blood. You play as a waiter serving a strange couple with...strange tastes.

The whole thing's done and available for free over here: https://alexisroyce.itch.io/may-i-take-your-order

There's also a content warning document in the game file, so if you're worried about the level of violence and don't mind spoilers, it's all laid out there.

Alexis_Royce

Postby Seven Rain » May 10th, 2018, 12:31 pm

I know very few people around here, (if any,) enjoy fooling around with RPG Maker programs, but the devs recently announced that they're making an "Action Game Maker", and it seems pretty rad.
Sadly RPG Maker MV ran terribly on my computer and had a few issues that made it impossible to work with, (and was the first RPGM I bought legitimately, ironically enough,) so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I want to try it so bad. I'll never not love these stupid _____ Maker games.
Seven Rain

Previous

Return to Video Games