The Official Game Development Thread

Re: The Official Game Development Thread

Postby Bowserknight » October 31st, 2015, 3:03 pm

here's the sequel to "Oh No! Ghosts", "Oh No! Ghosts, Too?"
http://commcheesecake.itch.io/oh-no-ghosts-too

also check out the Official Commentary on ONG1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjUIaxXlImI

next time I feel like making a game, it might not actually be a joke thing.
Bowserknight

Postby Seven Rain » October 31st, 2015, 10:05 pm

Bowserknight wrote:here's the sequel to "Oh No! Ghosts", "Oh No! Ghosts, Too?"

Oh man, I'd hate to do this as anything other than a Halloween special, but I'd hate to put it off for a year, too.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » October 31st, 2015, 10:29 pm

Seven Rain wrote:

Oh man, I'd hate to do this as anything other than a Halloween special, but I'd hate to put it off for a year, too.

For what it's worth, I think doing a "Halloweeny" game at another time of year is perfectly fine. Featuring a game only when it's seasonally appropriate tells me, as a viewer, that the game has no merits other than its relevance to the season, and that's not a good thing xP I personally tend to be way more interested in "off-season" games, because then I have more faith in them having other merits.

Also, only squares stop doing Halloweeny stuff at other times of year 8D
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » October 31st, 2015, 11:01 pm

eishiya wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:

For what it's worth, I think doing a "Halloweeny" game at another time of year is perfectly fine. Featuring a game only when it's seasonally appropriate tells me, as a viewer, that the game has no merits other than its relevance to the season, and that's not a good thing xP I personally tend to be way more interested in "off-season" games, because then I have more faith in them having other merits.

Also, only squares stop doing Halloweeny stuff at other times of year 8D

Oh don't the wrong idea! It's not so much about the merits of the game, (I mean it's not like I'm doing any kind of fancy game reviews or anything, it's just my friends and I being idiots and BSing while we play games,) it's just that doing Halloween specials is a blast. We take a lot of inspiration from Cinemassacre's Monster Madness, which James Rofle does every year. He reviews and talks about all kinds of horror movies to celebrate the holiday and turn it into a fun October thing, not because the movies are only worth talking about at Halloween or something. It's just for Halloween fun.
Spoiler! :
But yeah, we did our initial P.T. vid in February, so we're not opposed to doing it at other times of year!

I'm getting off-topic here, though. Sorry.

*EDIT*
I guess I could try talking about RPG planning stuff to get back on-topic, but there's not much for me to talk about yet other than rambling about how happy I am about all the stuff I've written in the past month, and how worried I am about how long it'll take to work on when trying to juggle it with WOE and Playin' Thangs.
Spoiler! :
Not to mention MV's performance issues, which will hopefully be fixed before too long.

I did whip up a new character design for a Draconian character named Yvim;
He started as a pretty basic character idea but he's now a pivotal character in the plot, which tends to happen fairly often with Draconian characters in the EthereaVerse, now that I think about it.
It's fitting, I guess.

His weapon, (the Lance of Longinus,) plays a big part in the story, too. Because of that I thought it'd be cool to make it so that the player can't change his weapon itself, but instead changes the orb that floats in it's blade, (after reaching a certain part of the story);
There's no telling how much of this will change before I actually get hardcore started on the game, but it's fun to work on, and fun to share.
And at least I have something relevant to post.
Spoiler! :
I'll add a full-size pic of Yvim next time I do an actual update to my showcase thread, I guess.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » November 6th, 2015, 9:39 am

Been playing around with a "dream project" of mine. Rough sketch of a mockup (just working out colours), spoilered for naked pixels:
Spoiler! :

I'd normally have this thing polished by now and half-way to being re-created in-engine, but I'm undecided how to tackle doing the trees in-engine. I don't want pre-drawn backgrounds, but there are quite a few ways to do tile-based/procedural trees and all of them have problems. Building trees out of small tiles has issues with varying trunk thickness and angle, building trees out of sections that aren't on a grid has performance issues. I could do an exquisite-corpse sort of thing, but that also struggles with varying angles and thicknesses. The angle thing also creates challenges in making sure branches conenct to the trunks in a nice way. The art is big and detailed enough that I can't just rely on two objects of the same colour blending into each other. Having large "tiles" of one tree each solves the branch problem, but means more individual trees to draw and makes it hard to have the density I want (I don't want trunks overlapping within a layer, but overlapping branches/foliage is fine). I guess the latter could be fixed by having more layers...
eishiya

Postby Kinggrenade » December 20th, 2015, 11:55 pm

I am currently working on an RPG that is inspired by the good ol' RPG games back in the old days. Ya know? The game will be released on Gamejolt once it's finished. The game is about halfway into development. But i'm not sure if people would like it :oops: :?
Kinggrenade

Postby Bowserknight » January 3rd, 2016, 6:37 pm

I'm doin this game jam here!
The game I'm making is a one-screen kinda puzzley platformer, like arcade/early NES style. I picked it cause I figured it'd be simple, but... I wasn't expecting to get all the basic stuff done in the first couple hours.
I guess I'll have time to make a decent amount of levels, and pretty up the graphics. I might even try making some sounds for it.

here's a gif of how ladders work:
Spoiler! :
Bowserknight

Postby Seven Rain » January 3rd, 2016, 9:09 pm

Bowserknight wrote:I'm doin this game jam here!
The game I'm making is a one-screen kinda puzzley platformer, like arcade/early NES style. I picked it cause I figured it'd be simple, but... I wasn't expecting to get all the basic stuff done in the first couple hours.
I guess I'll have time to make a decent amount of levels, and pretty up the graphics. I might even try making some sounds for it.

Spoiler! :

Neat, I've actually been covertly trying to learn Game Maker lately, and something like this sounds fun, though I think I'm too early in the learning process to do anything in the next 13 hours.

What do you use, homie? Is it Game Maker Studio by any chance? If so, do you have any cool resources for learning the ins-and-outs?
I've been checking out this HeartBeast dude, and even considering throwing down 10 bucks for this video course of his. I'm both excited and terrified to try making a serious game with it because I still want to make an RPG, and that'll be a nightmare to do in Game Maker, but I just can't stand how RPG Maker MV turned out. (It figures it'd be the first one I throw down full price on.)
Seven Rain

Postby Bowserknight » January 3rd, 2016, 9:37 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Bowserknight wrote:I'm doin this game jam here!

Spoiler! :

Neat, I've actually been covertly trying to learn Game Maker lately, and something like this sounds fun, though I think I'm too early in the learning process to do anything in the next 13 hours.

What do you use, homie? Is it Game Maker Studio by any chance? If so, do you have any cool resources for learning the ins-and-outs?
I've been checking out this HeartBeast dude, and even considering throwing down 10 bucks for this video course of his. I'm both excited and terrified to try making a serious game with it because I still want to make an RPG, and that'll be a nightmare to do in Game Maker, but I just can't stand how RPG Maker MV turned out. (It figures it'd be the first one I throw down full price on.)

I'm using Construct 2. I don't know much about Game Maker, but this thing seems pretty good for 2D stuff- I did like, five minutes of the tutorials on the site and I know how to make some simple platformery stuff at least. The free version has basically everything you need, too.
Also, that timer says 13 days, not 13 hours. It's a pretty long jam.
Bowserknight

Postby Seven Rain » January 3rd, 2016, 9:56 pm

Bowserknight wrote:I'm using Construct 2. I don't know much about Game Maker, but this thing seems pretty good for 2D stuff- I did like, five minutes of the tutorials on the site and I know how to make some simple platformery stuff at least. The free version has basically everything you need, too.

Huh. I might check that out sometime. I think I've heard someone mention Construct 2 somewhere else, but I gravitated towards Game Maker just because of the cool games I already know of that were made in it. I'll have to give Construct 2 a look-see.

Bowserknight wrote:Also, that timer says 13 days, not 13 hours. It's a pretty long jam.

Oho, that's cool. Maybe I'll try something, then, who knows.
Seven Rain

Postby Bowserknight » January 13th, 2016, 7:00 pm

I uploaded that game jam game! Here it is.
There's still a couple days left before the deadline, so I was planning on adding SFX or something, but I hit the limit on how much stuff you're allowed to have in one game in the free version of Construct 2. Oh well. I'm still pretty proud of what I got done.

I dunno what thing I'll do next. The main two game ideas I've got are both joke ideas where I'm not sure if they're worth the effort. Guess we'll see.
Bowserknight

Postby Seven Rain » January 13th, 2016, 10:25 pm

Bowserknight wrote:I dunno what thing I'll do next.

I know what you should do next!
Spoiler! :
Learn GameMaker so you can help meeeee. Coding is so hard to learn. My brain can't process it.

Spoiler! :
Also like, if we both ever got good at it we could share scripts and stuff or something I dunno.

Half-jokes aside... Despite how painful it's been trying to start learning GML, I've been super like, just going nuts on my game ideas and writing. So many revisions and ideas flooding in. Also I have a really cool idea for a battle system that hopefully won't be too hard to code and flesh out with fun mechanics.

*EDIT*
Also that game of yours is neat. I really like the bee sprite.
Also do those fireghostthings have tiny smiles? I like them too.
Seven Rain

Postby redandblack64 » February 2nd, 2016, 10:49 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Bowserknight wrote:I dunno what thing I'll do next.

I know what you should do next!
Spoiler! :
Learn GameMaker so you can help meeeee. Coding is so hard to learn. My brain can't process it.

Spoiler! :
Also like, if we both ever got good at it we could share scripts and stuff or something I dunno.

Half-jokes aside... Despite how painful it's been trying to start learning GML, I've been super like, just going nuts on my game ideas and writing. So many revisions and ideas flooding in. Also I have a really cool idea for a battle system that hopefully won't be too hard to code and flesh out with fun mechanics.

*EDIT*
Also that game of yours is neat. I really like the bee sprite.
Also do those fireghostthings have tiny smiles? I like them too.

I just found this, I saw it and thought of this thread. I got Game Maker, too, though I'm trying to make an action platformer along the lines of Rayman Origins, Crash Bandicoot, Monster Tale and Megaman X, etc.The hardest part about this is the programming. It's mainly because it's really hard right now.
redandblack64

Postby Seven Rain » February 3rd, 2016, 4:26 am

redandblack64 wrote:I just found this, I saw it and thought of this thread.

Yeah, I've watched some of that series and plenty of Benjamin's other stuff, he's great. Shoves a bit too much code into his tutorials without explaining the functions, though. I'm too much of a dummy with this stuff, so I had been searching for even more basic tutorials. That said I've been putting game-making on the backburner lately so I can focus more on my comics and not get too overwhelmed.
Seven Rain

Postby Fukairi » February 4th, 2016, 11:34 am

I'm kinda deving a horror game, but it's mainly just puzzle planning/dialogue scripting process as of yet :x
I've made some practice games & been part of some game projects (created a sorta karaoke game with old school music for the national museum, a movie based app & a vuforia based puzzle game) due to my uni & some employment thingies buuuuuut I'd like my own project to be for pc exclusively... Still undecided on what direction to take the artstyle too

Though I can tell a few things I have decided

-Centered around uncensored versions off Brothers Grimm & H.C Andersen fairytales + some well known folktales around the world
- Focus on day/night cycle
- Will have a pet bunny (coz why the f not)
- PC is a little girl
- will try my hardest to create atmospheric horror that doesn't rely on being dark / bleak -> though if this fails will be dark and bleak :(
Fukairi

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games