KID/SQUID HANGOUT (Splatoon Thread)

KID/SQUID HANGOUT (Splatoon Thread)

Postby Afrohawkman » June 1st, 2015, 12:51 am

Well someone asked for it so here's the Splatoon thread! Post your findings, news about the game, tips and tricks, how awesome your squid/kid looks, and any interesting miiverse/graffiti posts you find in the thread! Guess I'll start the thread off with a few questions to start up the thread!

1. Favorite weapon type?
2. Favorite map?
3. Got any sweet outfits yet?
4. Finished the story yet?
5. ARE YOU A KID OR A SQUID?
6. TEAM CAT OR TEAM DOG?

Spoiler! :
1. Hard to say as I'm enjoying them all. Chargers are fun for backing up the team, Rollers are great for DEM SHOTGUN SHELLS, and Blasters are good all around.
2. Saltspray Rig, without a doubt! The pipes are fun as hell to swim up, there's a ton of different places to take turf, and the giant area at the top has tons of high ground to take advantage of including the grate that moves around the area. Too much fun.
3. Nothing in particular but the shades I picked up at level 1 are super nice. They don't have great stats but I love how they look. Haven't changed my headgear since I got 'em haha.
4. Yup! It was short but extremely fun, definitely worth it.
5. SQUID OBVIOUSLY
6. #TEAMCAT

Tips for my fellow Squids!
Spoiler! :
  • Know when to retreat! If you're having trouble in a fight or it's just taking too long, don't waste your time when you could be inking! Get out of there! Remember that you can super jump whenever you want, including to your own spawn, so be sure to keep it in mind! Leaving to cover ground or flank the opponent may turn the tides of battle in a pinch!
  • At the same time though, don't ignore your opponents! The goal is to lay down turf, but if someone is about to stop you from doing so or they're uncontested in an area, it's definitely a good idea to take 'em down.
  • Check the map periodically, especially in the last minute! If the enemy gets behind you and no one notices, they could do serious damage to your base. Be sure to pay attention to that stuff!
  • Use the high ground to your advantage! Chargers aren't the only one who can take advantage of high spaces, Blasters and Rollers can cover a lot of ground much easier with the higher elevation. Yes, Rollers too! Use those shotgun blasts to your advantage!
  • Keep experimenting with weapons! There's a lot of weapons out there with interesting combos of main, sub, and special weapons. Be sure to try 'em out to see what works for you! You never know what might work better for you or be a great alternative when you're looking to mix things up.
Afrohawkman

Re: KID/SQUID HANGOUT (Splatoon Thread)

Postby Nymine » June 1st, 2015, 7:51 am

Woo!

Spoiler! :
1. Favorite weapon type?
Roller. Oh my gosh the roller. I tend to be a huggabear and like to paint the path forward for my fellow squidkids. Also known to kamakazi other rollers by just running in to them. IN THE GAME OF CHICKEN I DO NOT FLINCH!

2. Favorite map?
I'm really fond of the Mall. I like all the swoopy swoops in the straightaway and the little upper story paths on the sides are super fun too(and advantage giving!).

3. Got any sweet outfits yet?
A few! Also slowly going broke every run because I must has all the clothes. o3o

4. Finished the story yet?
Not yet. I beat the first boss and then went back in for more match making fun. I should probably? It's definitely on my to-do list.

5. ARE YOU A KID OR A SQUID?
SQUID. I like to turn myself into a squid in the lobby and ooze from place to place. Its

6. TEAM CAT OR TEAM DOG?
Wait, there's a dog?

Some things from my own expereince:
Spoiler! :
•From the spawn point, you can spawn on fellow inklings by tapping the squid symbols on the minimaps then hitting the launch button. You land in a splat of ink, right next to where your buddy was. It can be used very well. You can give back up to someone who needs it or save time swimming/walking back to areas to keep the ink flowing. After all, at it's heart this is a turf war and the faster you can keep the ink spreading, the more likely you are to come out on top. Be warned tho, you can also pop yourself into the middle of trouble.

•Bombs are your friends! Not just for splatting squids but for long ranging safe ink.

•Gear isn't just about fashion(although me and my 10 pairs of shoes are ones to talk). From quicker specials to faster swim speed to extra toughness, pay attention to get the bonuses! They just might give you the edge you need!

•Just in case others missed it, there's a sea urchin in the shady alley. When you're checking out people in the lobby of Inkopolis, if you see swag you want, you can tell said urchin(Spyke) to get it for you. Be mindful you can only do this once a day.

I'm having so much fun o3o. I need to get on at more reasonable times so I can play with everyone else. Let's get inking!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby SkyWithFluffyclouds » June 1st, 2015, 8:44 am

Hey!
Spoiler! :
1. I've stuck with Splattershot jr, I did use rollers for a while but changed back to the splatter, I just kinda like to charge in, resulting in many deaths, though they have been going down lately. I tried the charger in the testfire and with my brother in the Arena and it would take some time to get used to it, though I've seen some people that are great with it and I don't just mean as a sniper but in the middle of the battlefield. Anyway from watching other people I've got some idea of how to use it and will probably get around to it when I want to change things up a little.

2. Blackbelly Skatepark hands down, the battle is great and I love to move around it (those ramps dude)

3. I make a point of buying everything and wearing it until I unlock every ability (I missed some of Sunday's D=), I have these Black Moto Boots with two Power Ups which look really good, and loads of other stuff (everything looks so good), oh and there are these shoes with invisible jump that are pretty sweet, I don't have to be as careful jumping and if I hide upon landing I can end up surprising the other team.

4. Nope, I have defeated 3 bosses and have to begin the 4th area.

5. Wait what? I can move as a squid in inkopolis? Because I didn't realize. Well whatever, sweet outfits FTW.

6. Cat, and it's not just to suck up to the judge I swear.

Protip
Spoiler! :
Chill out and have fun.
SkyWithFluffyclouds

Postby Afrohawkman » June 1st, 2015, 10:39 am

New direct confirms that the Zapper, Port Mackerel (new map, screenshots here), and Ranked Battles are opening up tonight at 7 PST! Aww yes, I knew Ranked Battles would go up soon but I didn't think THIS soon! I was thinking at least by the weekend.

Here's hoping they keep this new content up! I know E3 is coming soon so...maybe another update then? :D
Afrohawkman

Postby Bowserknight » June 1st, 2015, 11:52 am

Yo
Spoiler! :
1. I'm still not able to pick a favourite weapon. Right now I'm using the splat charger that comes with the sprinkler thing, but I'm sure I'll unlock something I prefer soon.
2. I like Blackbelly Skatepark. That tower thing is a real good position.
3. I just switched to the Octoling gear. It's the closest thing I've got to playing as one.
4. Finished it last night! The last phase of the final boss almost got me, I was at my last life. It was pretty rad though. I liked the UFO levels as well.
5. I'm whatever.
6. Team cat sure seems to be the majority

Since everyone else is doin em, here's my hot tip'z:
Spoiler! :
-If you see a roller coming at you, it's pretty easy to avoid. You can just back up while shooting at them. You can also just jump over the roller!
-Likewise, if you're using a roller, try sneaking up on people, and make use of your shotgun blast thing, especially when up against another Roller User.
-You don't need to fully charge splat chargers to fire them! If someone's up close to you, it's better to tap the fire button for weaker, short-range shots.
-The walls don't count for points in Turf War, but any surface visible from above does! Covering the space on top of boxes, walls, etc. could decide the whole game!

Port Mackerel looks interesting! In the Splatoon direct a while ago, didn't they say there'd be updates every few weeks?
I wanna try out that paintbrush weapon they showed off, and I'm excited to see what the other gamemodes will be like.
Bowserknight

Postby Raging Ghost » June 1st, 2015, 12:10 pm

Now that this thread is a thing...

Spoiler! :
1. Shooter-types. Rollers and Chargers aren't my thing.
2. I don't have a favorite, personally.
3. Not yet. But if I level up enough...
4. No. I've only done the first mission.
5. The line keeps getting blurred aienguidljafsohidoasndnofdj *farts ink*
6. I have yet to make a Splatfest.

If you find a ''Do you like inking other squids?'' graffiti, I made that thing.
Raging Ghost

Postby Raging Ghost » June 2nd, 2015, 11:55 am

Must I bump this thread?

Anyway, the first batch of DLC has arrived: there's a new map, ranked battles and the Zapper.
Raging Ghost

Postby Afrohawkman » June 2nd, 2015, 12:31 pm

Oh I was playing Ranked Battles all night, forgot to even post about it. THEY'RE SO INTENSE! Sometimes they can last so long while other times it can be a complete steam roll and last for maybe a minute. It's pretty crazy. You get mad cash when you play too with more cash the greater the rank you have. At the same time it gets harder and harder to rank up the higher your rank. You start off getting 20 rank points per win and lose 10 rank points per loss out of 100. After C- though you start getting less and less points per win, making it that much harder to rank up due to losses.

Interestingly enough, if you don't lose to a knockout you lose less points, which is pretty cool. We had one game where we started with only 3 people but we kept stealing it back over and over until the time ran out overall. We lost, but I only lost 1 point instead of the usual 10 which was pretty cool.

The new map is pretty insane though. SO MANY CORNERS TO HIDE AROUND. I'm always scared to move forward because you never know who might be behind the next corner waiting for you. Leave no square unpainted or else!
Afrohawkman

Postby Raging Ghost » June 2nd, 2015, 12:49 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:The new map is pretty insane though. SO MANY CORNERS TO HIDE AROUND. I'm always scared to move forward because you never know who might be behind the next corner waiting for you. Leave no square unpainted or else!

Also, just leaving this here: Color Lock only lock you into being either orange or blue. Not the last color your squid is. Really, that's for the colorblind.
Last edited by Raging Ghost on June 2nd, 2015, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raging Ghost

Postby uglyfun » June 2nd, 2015, 12:54 pm

x
Last edited by uglyfun on October 17th, 2017, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uglyfun

Postby Nymine » June 2nd, 2015, 2:22 pm

Oh oh I saw that earlier! They're so cute!

I've been slowly inching myself up to lvl 10 so I can frolic in ranking matches. Two more levels to go! Inchy squinchy inchy squinchy. Bought myself the krakon roller and I don't know how to do the spinning drill death attack. I just kind of slowly blorp after people. I think I'll figure it out eventually. Oh! Has anyone else done the 1V1 mode? It's a lot if fun actually! You gotta pop balloons rather than just ink up the place. But ink is still important. Took me a second to get used to and taught me to shotgun with the roller a little better. After I realized you know, uh, balloons float and all I was doing was inking under the balloons. And it's so easy to go from winning to screaming at t he tv. I had fun c:
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby DracheLehre » June 2nd, 2015, 3:06 pm

Finally got my copy! Now to find time to load the sucker up...
DracheLehre

Postby Raging Ghost » June 2nd, 2015, 3:18 pm

DracheLehre wrote:Finally got my copy! Now to find time to load the sucker up...

Remember to post your Nintendo Network ID on the proper thread.
Raging Ghost

Postby Seven Rain » June 2nd, 2015, 4:46 pm

Got my Inkling Gal amiibo, gonna have to try that out later along with the new content from the other night.
Seven Rain

Postby SkyWithFluffyclouds » June 2nd, 2015, 6:45 pm

Reached level 20!

And ranked battles are pretty brutal particularly when (at least for me) playing at the mall,the high points are really important and it becomes a battle to not let anyone have them. Oh, and for this map if someone suddenly springs up a shield on you and there's water nearby (there usually is) try pushing them into the water. (So many times I've drowned...)

Still loving the skatepark.
SkyWithFluffyclouds

Next

Return to Video Games