Nintendo Switch

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby cloverthegreat » October 21st, 2016, 1:18 pm

This looks really cool and ATLUS 3rd party is a big deal for me.
cloverthegreat

Postby gun21 » October 25th, 2016, 3:22 pm

I think the joycon controllers look incredibly uncomfortable.

I also dislike the way they look with that blank slab (not the monitor) between them.

I also dislike that the dual screen presence is just gone, since you can't have your monitor and TV at the same time. (Which I think is a poor decision.)

Also, just from an economic pov, the decision to go from disc to memory cards might prove to be a poor decision in the long term.

That said I am really really interested to see how this launches. If they can get good third party support from it's launch, as well as a good install base, the portable factor alone could make this the biggest console this generation by tapping into the tablet market.
gun21

Postby Merone » October 25th, 2016, 3:53 pm

eishiya wrote:
eishiya wrote:are you really surprised that a comicking forum isn't super-chatty about video games? xP

Spoiler! :
E3 has changed to be more of an industry-insider event in the last few years, the games industry (devs, media, and fans) in general seems to have gotten more cynical. People are still getting over laughing or crying about No Man's Sky. Because SJ's community is so positive, we don't tend to engage with that cynicism very much, which is probably partly why we discuss video games a lot less than we used to.
SJ's community has aged on average since younger users aren't as into forums as us creaky gramps were at their age, and it's a lot harder to get excited about new games and consoles coming out when you're a broke adult than when you're a highschooler with an allowance.
I think one last important factor is that there are so many more different games these days, thanks to indie and mobile devs, and thanks to streamers! That's wonderful, but it does mean that everybody's playing something different and it's much harder to find a shared gaming experience in a group of people. There are still some touchstone games that a lot of people are at least familiar with, like Overwatch, but these seem to be rarer now, and the familiarity is often through fandom and Let's Plays rather than only through playing, which makes people more reluctant to engage about the game itself.

That's a lot of fair points, but on the optimistic side, maybe it's also inactive because we're at the fallow point of the year. The good games will be released in the winter starting November in preparation of Christmas, so maybe we'll see more activity then! :D

As for Switch, I'm darn excited and cautious at the same time. Among my peers and friends it seems to be the same case, probably due to Nintendo's history (plus they're not as interested in their franchise as I am). I will very likely jump to this console since I love my Nintendo games, but the controllers are holding me back. It looks a bit uncomfortable, and I had that problem with the 3DS before they introduced the XL version.
Merone

Postby xX-DragonFairy-Xx » October 26th, 2016, 1:38 pm

gun21 wrote:I think the joycon controllers look incredibly uncomfortable.

I also dislike the way they look with that blank slab (not the monitor) between them.

I also dislike that the dual screen presence is just gone, since you can't have your monitor and TV at the same time. (Which I think is a poor decision.)

Also, just from an economic pov, the decision to go from disc to memory cards might prove to be a poor decision in the long term.

That said I am really really interested to see how this launches. If they can get good third party support from it's launch, as well as a good install base, the portable factor alone could make this the biggest console this generation by tapping into the tablet market.

From what I've heard, the reason the monitor needs to be docked when switching to TV mode is because the docking station has an external graphics card that boosts the monitor graphics card. From what I hear from my PC gaming friends this has become pretty popular to do with laptops, having a docking station that gives it a boost when connecting to a bigger/better resolution monitor. So, the monitor is the console itself, while the external docking station is just that, a docking station. Personally, I don't really mind the lack of a "Gamepad" mechanic since it was a little bothersome to have to keep track of both screens sometimes, and other times it was more or less useless. I think the concept scared away 3rd party developers.

As for the disc to Card deal, I actually really like this. The use of discs seems outdated now-a-days, I feel we are close to the point where the disc will transition to floppy disc status. Now, everyone carries USB drives, uses SD cards, and these things are able to hold a lot of data in a very small amount of space. I don't know which is cheaper to produce, but if at least the packing becomes smaller that seems like a plus to me.

Otherwise I agree with the other points you've made, I'm anxious to see how it will all turn out.
xX-DragonFairy-Xx

Postby Seven Rain » January 12th, 2017, 11:07 am

LESS THAN 12 HOURS!

Seven Rain

Postby Maverick_Mentation » January 12th, 2017, 11:59 am

xX-DragonFairy-Xx wrote:
gun21 wrote:I think the joycon controllers look incredibly uncomfortable.

From what I've heard, the reason the monitor needs to be docked when switching to TV mode is because the docking station has an external graphics card that boosts the monitor graphics card. From what I hear from my PC gaming friends this has become pretty popular to do with laptops, having a docking station that gives it a boost when connecting to a bigger/better resolution monitor. So, the monitor is the console itself, while the external docking station is just that, a docking station. Personally, I don't really mind the lack of a "Gamepad" mechanic since it was a little bothersome to have to keep track of both screens sometimes, and other times it was more or less useless. I think the concept scared away 3rd party developers.

As for the disc to Card deal, I actually really like this. The use of discs seems outdated now-a-days, I feel we are close to the point where the disc will transition to floppy disc status. Now, everyone carries USB drives, uses SD cards, and these things are able to hold a lot of data in a very small amount of space. I don't know which is cheaper to produce, but if at least the packing becomes smaller that seems like a plus to me.

Otherwise I agree with the other points you've made, I'm anxious to see how it will all turn out.

Just to add onto this, I would say that the remaining points can be easily combatted.
There are so many ripoff/non-official wii remotes out on sale over the course of both wii consoles' lifetime, very few producers would want to pass up the opportunity to recreate the new joycon controllers. And in the same light, perhaps Nintendo will seize the opportunity to create custom controllers for their fans on their own terms (i.e. bigger controllers, novelty controllers for specific games).
Aaaaanyways, that's just my two cents on the matter.
Maverick_Mentation

Postby Raging Ghost » January 12th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Online gameplay is now a paid service. Fuck.
Raging Ghost

Postby Seven Rain » January 13th, 2017, 12:18 am

I have no words. I love you Nintendo.

Raging Ghost wrote:Online gameplay is now a paid service. Fuck.

Yeah, this was pretty much the only bummer. Gonna make it even harder to decide which system to buy games for now that I'm going to have more than one requiring subs for online gaming.
Seven Rain

Postby Maverick_Mentation » January 13th, 2017, 7:15 am

I don't think the online services will cost too much, Pokemon bank is a subscription service, and it is only $5 a YEAR!
Maverick_Mentation

Postby DracheLehre » January 13th, 2017, 10:17 am

I don't think Nintendo will charge too much for the services, just enough to keep the servers running.
DracheLehre

Postby Raging Ghost » January 13th, 2017, 12:25 pm

The confirmed games, so far.

Raging Ghost

Postby Seven Rain » January 13th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Raging Ghost wrote:The confirmed games, so far.

"Disgaea 5 Complete"
Mothertruckers I just bought the Season Pass back during the winter sales. Granted it was on sale but I coulda just waited for this version. Oh well, Disgaea feels right on Sony.

Project Octopath Traveler is absent from the list, though. Must just be the 2017 releases.
That was one of the hypest games in that whole presentation for me. Hopefully it doesn't get the Bravely Default censorship treatment, (same for Xenoblade 2,) but even if so NO REGION LOCK, BABY! Time to fire up the translation guides, nerds.

*EDIT*
And I hope we haven't seen the last of the MK8 Deluxe characters because I WANT BIRDO BACK, NINTENDO!
Seven Rain

Postby Bowserknight » January 13th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Raging Ghost wrote:The confirmed games, so far.

I wanna play the Zelda, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Spla2n, Mario, Xenoblade 2, and Xenoverse, so this lineup seems pretty okay for me. There's a couple other things on there that I might check out, too.

Also, we still don't know what Platinum or From Software are working on for the switch yet.
Bowserknight

Postby Seven Rain » January 13th, 2017, 2:47 pm

Made a vid of what me and my friends were all imagining at this point in the stream:

Spoiler! :
This was an important use of 20 minutes.

*EDIT*
Pre-orders are up. I'm glad I wanted the grey controllers because I totally called it as soon as they showed both versions; The ones with the Red and Blue controllers sold out super quick. At least at Gamestop they seemed to.

The controllers are way expensive anyway and the only game I'm getting at launch is Zelda so I'm fine with waiting a while for the cool color controllers. Hell, they might even make more colors, maybe someday I can get a switch controller in bright orange like my favorite old Gamecube controller.
Seven Rain

Postby redandblack64 » January 16th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Is it just me, or does Super Mario Odyssey look like Nintendo's take on the Sonic Adventure games?

Simplified, iconic characters interacting with realistic humans. Real world inspired settings (even uses Mexico and New York City like Adventure did). The city looks very similar to Empire City and Station Square, right down to it's inhabitants. Looks like there's a little more of a story in there, too.

Looks like this is going back to the Sunshine/Mario 64 style of FULL 3D platforming (which I've been craving for YEARS). I heard this was the dev team's idea, and not Miyamoto's. Wouldn't be surprised, considering what he did to Paper Mario and Star Fox.

It's interesting seeing Sonic and Mario taking cues from each other; Sonic Lost World had very obvious inspiration from Mario Galaxy (could've had simpler controls, level design and conveyance), and this look like the Dreamcast era Sonic games.

I'm definitely buying this; can't be the only one who dreamt about playing a Mario with the Sonic Adventure direction/style. Doubt they'll make the same mistakes Sonic Team made with '06.
redandblack64

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games