Nintendo Switch

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby Seven Rain » January 16th, 2017, 7:16 pm

redandblack64 wrote:Is it just me, or does Super Mario Odyssey look like Nintendo's take on the Sonic Adventure games?

Simplified, iconic characters interacting with realistic humans. Real world inspired settings (even uses Mexico and New York City like Adventure did). The city looks very similar to Empire City and Station Square, right down to it's inhabitants. Looks like there's a little more of a story in there, too.

Looks like this is going back to the Sunshine/Mario 64 style of FULL 3D platforming (which I've been craving for YEARS). I heard this was the dev team's idea, and not Miyamoto's. Wouldn't be surprised, considering what he did to Paper Mario and Star Fox.

It's interesting seeing Sonic and Mario taking cues from each other; Sonic Lost World had very obvious inspiration from Mario Galaxy (could've had simpler controls, level design and conveyance), and this look like the Dreamcast era Sonic games.

I'm definitely buying this; can't be the only one who dreamt about playing a Mario with the Sonic Adventure direction/style. Doubt they'll make the same mistakes Sonic Team made with '06.

It's not just you. Me and my friends laughed and started singing City Escape as soon as Mario popped out and started running around.
Seven Rain

Postby Raging Ghost » January 16th, 2017, 10:16 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Made a vid of what me and my friends were all imagining at this point in the stream:

Spoiler! :
This was an important use of 20 minutes.

*EDIT*
Pre-orders are up. I'm glad I wanted the grey controllers because I totally called it as soon as they showed both versions; The ones with the Red and Blue controllers sold out super quick. At least at Gamestop they seemed to.

The controllers are way expensive anyway and the only game I'm getting at launch is Zelda so I'm fine with waiting a while for the cool color controllers. Hell, they might even make more colors, maybe someday I can get a switch controller in bright orange like my favorite old Gamecube controller.

I preordered the red and blue version.
Raging Ghost

Postby Raging Ghost » February 1st, 2017, 6:13 pm

Raging Ghost

Postby Megamaxmax » February 2nd, 2017, 1:59 am

Just posting here cause I was one of the lucky few to try out the switch before launch. Let me tell you, it was pretty freaking sweet. The controllers were so light, regardless of the mode it was in. No matter what, it just seemed to fit nicely in your hands. The motion controls were a league above the wii motes, as well as the wii u game pad. Hell, one of the 1 2 Switch minigames was literally slightly tilting a box to try and figure out how many balls were in the box. And damn if you couldn't tell.

Easily the best game I played was Arms, just so fun and easy to get right into. It is a game I could easily see myself playing with friends for hours. However, the ninja was pretty broken in the demo. He dodged too fast, making him very hard to hit while his own attacks were near impossible to dodge.

Splatoon 2 honestly did seem rather the same. I assume that the upgraded hardware will give it more to do, so to speak. Of course, not a single person at the demos knew how to play, so everyone went roller anyway.

Now, these consoles had been running nonstop for hours now, and just out of curiosity I reached down and touched the console. It was cool to the touch. That seriously surprised me.

1 2 Switch seemed more like a demo for the tech than anything else. Sure, the little mini games were fun, but there didn't seem to be too many, and were very short. However, playing a game where you literally never look at the screen, or even the gamepad was something else.
Megamaxmax

Postby Seven Rain » February 2nd, 2017, 5:10 am

Neat info. Especially about the console running so cool. Zelda would probably be the real stress test, though.
Definitely been crossing my fingers for good hardware. I generally don't have trouble with Nintendo systems, (got dat gud Nintendium!) but my Wii U had GPU problems or something and had to be sent in for repairs some months after getting it, and my Wii data was all wiped in the process. It was a real bummer. Hoping I won't have to go through that with the Switch.

Did you play Splatoon 2 with motion controls or dual stick? If the latter, did aiming feel any better than the first game? I hated gyro controls but the game clearly wasn't made for dual stick controls, and the sensitivity was all messed up and impossible to fix. I remember it had wildly different vertical and horizontal speeds.
Seven Rain

Postby Megamaxmax » February 2nd, 2017, 9:09 am

Seven Rain wrote:Neat info. Especially about the console running so cool. Zelda would probably be the real stress test, though.
Definitely been crossing my fingers for good hardware. I generally don't have trouble with Nintendo systems, (got dat gud Nintendium!) but my Wii U had GPU problems or something and had to be sent in for repairs some months after getting it, and my Wii data was all wiped in the process. It was a real bummer. Hoping I won't have to go through that with the Switch.

Did you play Splatoon 2 with motion controls or dual stick? If the latter, did aiming feel any better than the first game? I hated gyro controls but the game clearly wasn't made for dual stick controls, and the sensitivity was all messed up and impossible to fix. I remember it had wildly different vertical and horizontal speeds.

If you ever, ever need to send in a game console, or handheld, make sure to take out the SD card first. If you back it up/take out the SD card you don't lose your data, and they don't need it anyway.

And you had to use motion controls for Splatoon 2, the interesting thing was though, you used the pro controller. I never played with motion controls, so I can't say for certain how similar/different they were.
Megamaxmax

Postby Seven Rain » February 2nd, 2017, 12:13 pm

Megamaxmax wrote:If you ever, ever need to send in a game console, or handheld, make sure to take out the SD card first.

Unfortunately one thing that all modern consoles share is an inability to back up or copy data for games with online play. Meaning backing up via SD Card won't save data for things like Smash Bros.
It's also been a while but I'm pretty sure the Wii U's emulated Wii menu has no such back-up option in general, so yeah. I had to leave my console and data at the mercy of Nintendo. Thankfully only the Wii stuff was lost, though. My actual Wii U data was fine.

Megamaxmax wrote:And you had to use motion controls for Splatoon 2, the interesting thing was though, you used the pro controller. I never played with motion controls, so I can't say for certain how similar/different they were.

No worries, I'm not really interested in any changes or improvements to the motion controls anyway.
It's a shame Nintendo didn't allow people to play with dual-stick. I get the feeling I'm not going to get a consensus or any real info on whether the stick controls have improved until the game comes out. Oh well.
Seven Rain

Postby HalfAssedChaos » February 3rd, 2017, 9:35 am

Me and my cousin still play Splatoon and do fairly well with the stick controls as is. They take a little getting used to, but you can still do fairly well. I stick to Turf War and hold my own and he's a pretty solid Rank A player. I'm just hoping for a bit more customization when it comes to the control scheme since we won't have two screens now.

But hot damn! Splatoon on the go! We work together and usually talk pokemon or something during breaks, but now we will get to get in a couple rounds of Splatoon at the office, man I can't wait!

Super hyped for the Switch! My second daughter is going to be born right before then, so maybe I'll get to use a bit of Paternity Leave time to mess around with it.

I really had my doubts about ARMS, it looks really gimmicky but then again that's what people said about Splatoon. Can you give a bit more info on your impressions and exactly what made it so fluid and fun? To me it looks a little slow and like there's not much to it, I would be glad to be wrong though.
Half Assed Chaos, The Worst Webcomic...EVER!
HalfAssedChaos

Postby Megamaxmax » February 4th, 2017, 4:55 pm

HalfAssedChaos wrote:I really had my doubts about ARMS, it looks really gimmicky but then again that's what people said about Splatoon. Can you give a bit more info on your impressions and exactly what made it so fluid and fun? To me it looks a little slow and like there's not much to it, I would be glad to be wrong though.

My friend actually did call it the "Splatoon of fighting games" the entire time he mentioned. So that little comparison wasn't too far off.

It seems slow at first, but when you actually play it you quickly learn to never stop moving. You are dodging every punch, while at the same time trying to hit your enemy. The tricky part is curving your punches, trying to guess where your opponent will dodge and to make them dodge right into it. You can't really see all of the small things the players are doing, but you are entirely focused on every little movement. Dodging the grabs, staying out of the range of the ults, never staying still or else you become a target.

Every character seems to have different stats, as well as different fists. For example, one big slow character, had a lot of health, but was easy to hit. The fists were less like a normal punch, and more like shooting out three different fists in a triangle. And not only do the characters have their own unique fists, with their own unique stats and abilities, but you can swap them with other ones as well. You can have one fast fist on your left hand for harassing, then a strong fist on the right to punish. Again, each of these fists not only have different stats, but behave differently. Boomarangs, tridents, blades, fists almost like shotgun blasts, you name it.
Megamaxmax

Postby trenton_dawn » February 7th, 2017, 7:03 am

ARMS looked pretty cool. There were booths with the Switch at Genesis 4 (the Smash tourney) when I went. Lines were too long so I didn't wait to play but I got to see people going at it. Now if Zelda was there I would wait in line as long as it took...
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby Raging Ghost » February 7th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Can someone put this in the first post, please?
Raging Ghost

Postby Seven Rain » February 7th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Raging Ghost wrote:Can someone put this in the first post, please?

Don't see why not.

Also could use a new image listing the third-party devs and maybe game releases or something. The only image I had on the front is broken now.
Seven Rain

Postby Raging Ghost » February 21st, 2017, 10:59 am

Call dibs on your User ID before the Switch comes out!

Raging Ghost

Postby DracheLehre » February 22nd, 2017, 10:49 pm

Nearly a week out and I whipped this up...

https://goo.gl/c3yd5k
DracheLehre

Postby Seven Rain » March 3rd, 2017, 12:26 am

THE HYPE IS REAL.

Only bummer for me is that ordering online means I got my console before they sold out, but I'm also unsure of just when I'll get it. Paid for the day one shipping but it still might not be here until late in the day. Lucky midnight releasers.
Spoiler! :
That and after hearing about the signal issues the Joycon can suffer from I really wanna get a Pro Controller, but I'm afraid those will be all sold out everywhere tomorrow.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games