Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Switch

Postby Seven Rain » October 20th, 2016, 11:35 am

COUNTDOWN TO FUN TOWN!

I'm really, really surprised that nobody's here talking about this. The poor gaming section of the forums really is a ghost town now, I guess. Oh well, no harm in at least trying!

So what does everyone think? Exciting? Disappointing? About what expected? How do you feel about cartridge-based games? Any speculation on backwards compatibility? It doesn't seem to feature a disc drive so it's safe to assume they're going to port Wii U games to cartridges, release them digitally, or both.

Alright people, time to make or break this side of the forums by showing whether we can still find the love and energy to talk about games, or whether everyone's moved on or lost interest.
Even if this thread dies a lonely death I'll be looking forward to March.
Last edited by Seven Rain on February 7th, 2017, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic-ock wrote:
Tacbot Unit-89 wrote:Wheres the swear jar.

Look, I'll say whatever the HECK I want whenever I dingle DARN well please!
Seven Rain

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby Bowserknight » October 20th, 2016, 11:56 am

I'm pretty excited. I honestly wasn't expecting it to actually run full games in the portable mode. Also, the Switch is a much better name than their last two consoles, even if it keeps making me think of like, dom/sub/switch.

I haven't heard many people talk about how we can see a new 3d mario, a new mario kart, and a new splatoon in that trailer. I mean, for the mario kart and splatoon, they don't look too different at a glance, but still.
Bowserknight

Postby Raging Ghost » October 20th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Bowserknight wrote:I'm pretty excited. I honestly wasn't expecting it to actually run full games in the portable mode. Also, the Switch is a much better name than their last two consoles, even if it keeps making me think of like, dom/sub/switch.

I haven't heard many people talk about how we can see a new 3d mario, a new mario kart, and a new splatoon in that trailer. I mean, for the mario kart and splatoon, they don't look too different at a glance, but still.

When it comes to names, it's the same deal for Pokémon Sun and Moon. I mean, Pokemon S&M. Don't google that, people.

But yeah, they're probably doing a Splatoon re-release or that means backward compatibility is in, I don't know.
Raging Ghost

Postby eishiya » October 20th, 2016, 12:32 pm

If I wanted to be confined to a chair or a couch while playing games, I'd play PC games anyway simply because they're more convenient for me, so I'm glad that Nintendo's continuing in this direction and that this isn't another living room console. Being able to play games in bed laid on my side is the only thing that could draw me away from my PC. But for that, a dedicated handheld with a smaller screen is better, the Switch looks unwieldy. So, unless it gets some games I really want to play in bed or on the go, I'll be giving it a pass. The Vita sold itself to me with the Disgaea games and the FFX remaster. Skyrim could do that for me with the Switch, but I find it rather unlikely, since I've already played the hell out of that game on PC and there probably won't be mods on the Switch.
Aside from Skyrim, none of the games in the trailer drew my attention. That's not a problem with the games, Nintendo exclusives just generally don't appeal to my tastes.

I'm happy to see that it uses cartridges, because portable + optical drives = bad time.

At the risk of being a bit off-topic, but you did talk about it in the OP - are you really surprised that a comicking forum isn't super-chatty about video games? xP Lots of us love video games, but SJ isn't really the place to go to talk about them, nor should it be. I preferred having just the one general thread before we got all those subforums, as it made for more mixed, less myopic discussions. It was hard for anything to get discussed in depth since people tended to jump around from subject to subject as new things came up, but SJ isn't where I go for in-depth discussions about video games anyway. In addition, there just isn't as much exciting good stuff to talk about as there used to be, since there are fewer new big IPs coming out and the most common kinds of tech isn't making such obvious leaps in quality anymore.
eishiya

Postby xX-DragonFairy-Xx » October 20th, 2016, 2:21 pm

I'm super hyped. I play almost exclusively on portables now-a-days, and nintendo is my main jam. (I have more 3DS games than any other system). Using the tiny controllers reminds me of the original NES controller, limited buttons and made for tiny baby hands haha. But I really like the concept, it's a lot better than using a wii mote, and it seems it can handle full controllers in portable mode too so it doesn't seem like a big deal.

I love my wii u and this seems like a great step forward. I really appreciate nintendo experimenting like this because we know the other consoles won't, not like this. And it really seem like a natural progression from the wii u, while still being a significant step forward, unlike the wii --> wiiu.
xX-DragonFairy-Xx

Postby MasterComic » October 20th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Everyone keeps saying that the Switch uses cartridges, but I saw an SD Card. Are my eyes failing me?
Cup of Olea is an interactive webcomic. YOU decide what Cliff does!
To play, simply go to the latest page and submit a command! It's easy~
MasterComic

Postby xX-DragonFairy-Xx » October 20th, 2016, 3:11 pm

MasterComic wrote:Everyone keeps saying that the Switch uses cartridges, but I saw an SD Card. Are my eyes failing me?

I'm guessing it will be something similar to the 3DS cartridge, thats what I got from it anyways. There was info on the NX before this saying it would use cartridges, which is probably where most of these assumptions are coming from.
xX-DragonFairy-Xx

Postby eishiya » October 20th, 2016, 4:02 pm

MasterComic wrote:Everyone keeps saying that the Switch uses cartridges, but I saw an SD Card. Are my eyes failing me?

What is a read-only SD card but a type of cartridge?
That said, I don't think it's an SD card. They all look pretty similar anyway, since they're all plastic bits with some pins along one side xP
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » October 20th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Bowserknight wrote:I haven't heard many people talk about how we can see a new 3d mario, a new mario kart, and a new splatoon in that trailer. I mean, for the mario kart and splatoon, they don't look too different at a glance, but still.

A new 3D Mario is definitely cool, but the others I assumed were ports. They looked identical to their Wii U counterparts to me, and it really got me thinking about how Nintendo will be handling backwards compatibility. That's become one of the things I want to hear about more than any of the other features. Are they going to bring the Wii U's eShop over, or is it going to be another fresh start like going from the Wii to Wii U? That's gonna be a really important factor to me because the Wii's VC still felt lacking on top of being tossed aside for a new stream of releases on Wii U, which never caught up, (though it did add new consoles, like Wii and DS games.)
Hell, my buddy Jacob even suggested the possibility of the Switch being able to play DS/3DS carts. Now that would be insane.

That and I'm interested in the points some people have brought up about game performance. Will these games look and run well on the Switch compared to other consoles? Will they run differently in portable mode than they will in mounted/TV mode? When I woke up and saw the preview I was like, "Whoa. Awesome." then posted about it and got on with my day, but Nintendo planted seeds of desire for more info that have exploded over the afternoon. I want to know so much more, I can't wait for a proper Direct/Conference.

eishiya wrote:are you really surprised that a comicking forum isn't super-chatty about video games? xP

Not neccesarilly, but I dunno if you remember what it was like some years back, but there was a while where this section of the forums were pretty active. Several threads being posted in a lot, General Gaming always seeing use, and E3 threads were particularly active. I mean just look at some of the page counts of the threads here compared to the other General Discussion subforums like TV and Music. Things are just a lot quieter now than they used to be.

Sure there are other places to go with more dedicated game discussion, but SJ has always been bar none the friendliest and most accepting gaming community on the internet that I've ever seen or been a part of. Any other place, be it Gamefaqs, /v/, Disqus comments on gaming articles, etc. has it's fair share of good-mannered people, but also their fair share of toxic BS. The gaming community as a whole has always had quite the abundance of asshats, and SJ somehow avoided people like that for several years, sans a few individuals. I always found that appealing.
Sonic-ock wrote:

Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » October 20th, 2016, 6:50 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
eishiya wrote:are you really surprised that a comicking forum isn't super-chatty about video games? xP

snip

Spoilered because I made myself sad while writing this. Don't read if you're trying to avoid a bad mood.
Spoiler! :
E3 has changed to be more of an industry-insider event in the last few years, the games industry (devs, media, and fans) in general seems to have gotten more cynical. People are still getting over laughing or crying about No Man's Sky. Because SJ's community is so positive, we don't tend to engage with that cynicism very much, which is probably partly why we discuss video games a lot less than we used to.
SJ's community has aged on average since younger users aren't as into forums as us creaky gramps were at their age, and it's a lot harder to get excited about new games and consoles coming out when you're a broke adult than when you're a highschooler with an allowance.
I think one last important factor is that there are so many more different games these days, thanks to indie and mobile devs, and thanks to streamers! That's wonderful, but it does mean that everybody's playing something different and it's much harder to find a shared gaming experience in a group of people. There are still some touchstone games that a lot of people are at least familiar with, like Overwatch, but these seem to be rarer now, and the familiarity is often through fandom and Let's Plays rather than only through playing, which makes people more reluctant to engage about the game itself.
eishiya

Postby Valalaraptor » October 20th, 2016, 7:01 pm

Super stoaked for those little bitty controllers for my freaky baby hands.
Valalaraptor

Postby Seven Rain » October 20th, 2016, 7:10 pm

eishiya wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:

snip

Spoilered because I made myself sad while writing this. Don't read if you're trying to avoid a bad mood.
Spoiler! :
E3 has changed to be more of an industry-insider event in the last few years, the games industry (devs, media, and fans) in general seems to have gotten more cynical. People are still getting over laughing or crying about No Man's Sky. Because SJ's community is so positive, we don't tend to engage with that cynicism very much, which is probably partly why we discuss video games a lot less than we used to.
SJ's community has aged on average since younger users aren't as into forums as us creaky gramps were at their age, and it's a lot harder to get excited about new games and consoles coming out when you're a broke adult than when you're a highschooler with an allowance.
I think one last important factor is that there are so many more different games these days, thanks to indie and mobile devs, and thanks to streamers! That's wonderful, but it does mean that everybody's playing something different and it's much harder to find a shared gaming experience in a group of people. There are still some touchstone games that a lot of people are at least familiar with, like Overwatch, but these seem to be rarer now, and the familiarity is often through fandom and Let's Plays rather than only through playing, which makes people more reluctant to engage about the game itself.

Those are all good points, but for what it's worth I've already spent time being bummed about it, haha. They're things I've definitely taken into consideration before. On the bright side as much as it saddens me seeing the forums become quieter I at least stay in touch with peeps on FB and Steam and stuff.

That said I'm still gonna hop in to make threads for big stuff like Switch and E3, even if E3 has been getting weaker. I'm sure Pokemon Sun & Moon will bring the Pokemon thread some activity, too.
Sonic-ock wrote:

Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » October 20th, 2016, 7:31 pm

Things about the NX

Potential
- Marketting wise, HUGE step up from the Wii U. Last time they didn't even show the console so people were absolutely confused on what it was, and the name was dumb and confusing too. Plus the trailer was definitely aimed toward young adults which was a good move as well. Glad to see their target audience is someone young and adult such as myself.
- That basketball segment showing off LAN was incredibly cool, really hoping to see more on that. I'd love to see more LAN centered games, maybe even something akin to the Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronices and Four Swords Adventure games. Hell it'd be cool just to have normal multiplayer games on LAN. Can you imagine Smash for Wii U on LAN while you're out with your friends? Hella cool.
- While I don't plan on taking the console out to go, I can see a lot of potential for it. Kind of makes me wish I travelled more, I'd take out on planes all the time. I wonder if I can get away with taking it to a con...oh god LAN at a convention would be SIIIIICK
- That said, it's not small enough to replace the 3DS, which I'm hoping that will be the design philosophy for the big game companies. I'm hoping smaller, more portable games will be 3DS and Switch games will be for bigger games.
- If that was the remaster for Skyrim, that speaks well for its performance. Might not look as great as Sony or Microsoft but if it keeps up enough to manage multi-platform games, that's enough for me.
- That list of third party developers is definitely hype! Really hoping we'll be getting more info on what they're making soon.
- New Mario looks very good. I've been hearing back and forth on whether or not it's just another 3D World and while I wouldn't be opposed to it, a mainline single player game would be huge. On the flipside though, multiplayer focus does seem to be a huge component of the Switch. Whatever it is, I hope it's a good take on the Mario formula.
- Mario Kart and Splatoon are lookin' like they're remasters or sequels but hard to say. Really excited either way. Here's hoping that Smash is also on the way if they are remasters. It's got two USB ports on the side so it can support that Gamecube controller!
- Glad to see they moved the analog stick back down. As much as I enjoy the pro controllers, it was always a little jarring moving between GC, PS4, and Wii U controllers. Now everything will feel right at home.
- This seems so small but A KICKSTAND, YES. Also like that there's a headphones port. It's kind of obvious stuff considering they want it to be super portable but I like seeing them anyway. Also was that a carmount for your Switch? BRUH. I'm never gonna use it but BRUH.
- SPLATOON eSPORTS? Didn't think you'd be pushing eSports but hell yeah, go for it Nintendo.

Concerns
- Battery Life, definitely a big one. If it has a bad charge, really hoping for some external solutions like another battery or a portable charger. Don't skip out on this one Ninty, we need that life.
- Interesting move to cartridges. This definitely means no backwards compatibility, which is a first for Nintendo in a while. So far we've seen remasters / sequels of two of their most popular games and we know Smash is probably on its way but I do hope they plan on doing something to re-release them in a better fashion. Wii U virtual console was pretty lackluster so I'm hoping to see a change there, especially because having a lot of those games on the go would be very cool.
- Throughout the trailer we saw nothing on whether or not it'd use the screen for touch screen. While I'm fine with this and I'm sure many people probably didn't use it, I do wonder whether or not it'll be used or not.
- If we're getting most of those games in the trailer, the Launch Window is pretty solid for me. But I'm definitely anxious to hear what the window will be. You've definitely learned from last time about marketing so I hope to see that you've learned about your launch titles too. Zelda is already a good start though.
- Everyone already pointed it out but Zelda's framerate was a bit iffy during the presentation. Highly doubt it'll be like that during the full release but I hope that was just a glitch and nothing major.
- Really hope it's easy to replace those little controller things on the side. They're small as hell and kind of easy to lose so I hope it's easy to do so.

Other Things
- I cannot believe that guy flew all the way from his nice ass apartment just to go to his other nice ass apartment. I wish I was that rich. Seriously what kind of jobs these millenials got to be affording this. I want that.
- Hoping for customization options for the main screen, if I'm taking that on the go I want some cool stuff on it!
- I have never been excited for seeing sports in a trailer until this one because of the LAN support. Bravo Nintendo, you've broken my expectations yet again.

All in all, definitely hyped for this. Can't wait for the first direct!
Afrohawkman

Postby xX-DragonFairy-Xx » October 20th, 2016, 8:01 pm

Valalaraptor wrote:Super stoaked for those little bitty controllers for my freaky baby hands.

omg i know right. I got a smaller new3DS for that very reason, despite it being harder to find here in the states xD (plus the face plates are tha bomba)
xX-DragonFairy-Xx

Postby Seven Rain » October 20th, 2016, 8:43 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:- Glad to see they moved the analog stick back down. As much as I enjoy the pro controllers, it was always a little jarring moving between GC, PS4, and Wii U controllers. Now everything will feel right at home.

Oh man I didn't even stop to take this in. That really does make me happy, though I wish they'd go the extra mile and put both sticks on the inside. The GC controller is the only controller with asymmetrical sticks that I've ever been super fond of.

*EDIT*
Oh wow I was super wrong about Mario Kart just being a port. It looks identical to MK8 but now that I take a second glance it has a weird two-item system going on and King Boo is being played. Those definitely weren't present in MK8. I'm way excited to hear more about that now.
Sonic-ock wrote:

Seven Rain

Next

Return to Video Games