The Final Fantasy Thread!

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Postby Bowserknight » December 7th, 2015, 11:09 am

I mean, it's basically the same as the original game being on four discs, it's just that now they're not all coming out at the same time.
I mean, it's actually different in a lot of ways, but whatever.
Bowserknight

Postby Molly-sama » December 10th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Randumbz wrote:http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-episod-1746564216

That sounds funky, but I'm not gonna cry doom and gloom over it just yet. I have no emotional attachment to FFVII so I'm interested in seeing how they do things. A part of me wants to see the entirety of the game adapted faithfully, but other parts of me want to see it all spun on it's head.

From what I've seen it's because of both the side-by-side work on kingdon hearts 3 as well as the size of the remake, which says good things to me in terms of being true to the original in terms of environment and story length.
Molly-sama

Postby Seven Rain » March 30th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Holy shit that FFXV event.

It was kinda cringe-y and fake/forced during most of it, but the actual info, reveals, and footage were all awesome. I think I'm finally as hype for this as I was before the revelation that most of Versus was scrapped when it became FFXV.

I'm only sad that I probably won't be able to get that Ultimate Collector's Edition before it sells out. Heartless bastards making it such a limited release.

*EDIT*
It's $270.
That's two-hundred and seventy U-S-D.
Fuck.
Why am I even considering trying to get that? There's no way. Even if I can manage the pre-charge and get my hands on it before it sells out, I don't think I can bring myself to throw down that much. Why couldn't it have been like 200. That probably would've been my limit. Damn.
Seven Rain

Postby forgotten_cake » March 31st, 2016, 6:29 pm

Yeah, my limit would have been like $150. It's a super nice collector's edition, but daaamn.
Super hyped about the game, though - There was so much uncertainty throughout all these years waiting for it, but that last trailer looked great. I guess people are really enjoying the demo, too. I don't even have a PS4 yet orz - super jelly of those who get to play it, haha. The anime is fun, though! So much stuff, man...
forgotten_cake

Postby Seven Rain » March 31st, 2016, 9:05 pm

forgotten_cake wrote:So much stuff, man...

Yeah, Square's doing a good job of roping me into their marketing and playing my fanboy love like a fiddle. The whole thing feels so larger than life now.

I haven't gotten around to trying out the demo yet myself. I'm thinking it'd be fun to record like we did with the original demo, and could be a good way to ease back into Playin' Thangs. I should get on that soon.
Seven Rain

Postby forgotten_cake » April 3rd, 2016, 12:37 pm

That sounds like fun! Will you be posting a link here?

I'm easing back into games with KH 1.5 ReMIX right now(semi-on topic, I guess, haha). I'm finding as an adult I can't play for more than like a half an hour without my wrist starting to ache. : / I'll catch up to the rest of you on FFXV in ten years..!
forgotten_cake

Postby Soft Dorito » April 15th, 2016, 11:25 am

So I read an article (I can't link to it at the moment but I will try later) talking about FFXV fighting the image of toxic masculinity, and that once they took out the one female member of the group it got a little more prominent. Numerous tired jokes about FF's masculinity (or lack thereof) aside, I think that's an interesting topic for them to take on (should it actually be true). I kinda think they've been pushing against what makes something stereotypically "manly" for a while now though (such as Kuja's outfit/appearance being a weird thing to people outside the game only - spare I think one quote and I'm not sure if I remember it right anyway), unless there's something that hasn't come across culturally (Cloud is mistaken for a woman at one point, but you have to jump through hoops to do it, so eh?).

I dunno. Crossed my mind as an interesting topic, though a weird one for FF of all titles.
I'm trying. :)
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Soft Dorito

Postby Seven Rain » April 15th, 2016, 12:11 pm

forgotten_cake wrote:That sounds like fun! Will you be posting a link here?

Forgot to reply to this, but totally! It's next on my editing to-do list so hopefully it'll be up in the next day or two.
I didn't expect to put it off for so long but Dark Souls III and other stuff happened so the footage has been sitting around gathering dust.

Soft Dorito wrote:I kinda think they've been pushing against what makes something stereotypically "manly" for a while now though

Yeah, I've felt the same way. I mean not just in FF, but in Japanese stuff in general. You see a lot less cliche masculinity in anime and games than you do in western media. Maybe people are getting a more noticeable vibe of it from FFXV because of it's realism and seeming desire to please western audiences, which contrasts harder with the more sincere male characters that aren't just trying to act tough and edgy all the time.

Either way I'm looking forward to it. I'm bummed about the lack of a female party member but at the same time I can see what they mean about how there's a different dynamic when it's a group of all dudes that just wouldn't be the same with a gal in there. After watching the first episode of Brotherhood and getting down on the first demo and all the new footage I'm sure I'll be satisfied with the all-dude party. Their interactions genuinely make me smile like an idiot.

Spoiler! :
That said I do wish there were better women characters in general at least. I mean if they're not in the party, fine, whatever, but the Dragoon chick seems to be the only cool one so far. Cindy might be cool personality/actions-wise, but her eye-candy outfit is dumb, and Luna hasn't done anything but sit around looking dainty in a dress.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » April 18th, 2016, 10:16 am

I don't like judging games before I've finished them, but FFX-2 is a rubbish game that feels like it was made by people who didn't care. It has some good ideas that are squandered, and it has some genuinely good aspects, but the game refuses to let me enjoy these good things, it always has to ruin them with something, whether it's bad UI (consistent issue all over), bizarre gameplay system choices (animation-based combat ohhh boy), headache-inducing dialogue for a mission with a fun idea, or just reminding me that it can't keep even its exclusive characters like Paine interesting and in-character. That game has quite a few things it does well, but I feel like if I were to list them, it would sound like I'm damning the game with faint praise, especially if I were to include the "buts".

I am okay with it being a bad game - I expected and paid for Disney sequel quality, I got Disney sequel quality. What I'm not okay with how often I find myself asking "how did they manage to screw this up after doing it right so many times before", and with this game apparently having very positive reviews. I haven't discussed this game with many people but they all hate it, but online, it seems like both reviewers and players think quite fondly of it.
eishiya

Postby apolloonfire » April 18th, 2016, 11:08 am

I haven't played FFX-2 since it launched way back in whenever, but I pulled that game apart and dissected every last little scrap of content it had to offer. Even young me recognized that the storyline was head-slappingly stupid. Its very existence undermined the emotional arcs of the original game, whose story I only recently realized (with the release of the HD Remasters) was far more nuanced than my childhood self gave it credit for. The whole point of X-2 is "let's resurrect the dead dude, thereby minimizing the impact of his noble sacrifice".

I think the only thing that kept me playing X-2 for as long as I did was the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed the battle system. That being said, even though I own the HD remasters, I haven't been able to bring myself to put the X-2 disc into the drive. Any enjoyment I may have felt as a child now only seems like voluntary torture.
apolloonfire

Postby eishiya » April 18th, 2016, 11:49 am

It's interesting that you say you thoroughly enjoyed the battle system! Though I like what they were going for with the dress spheres and the strategy that opens up, I think that FFX-2 has the worst example of ATB in the whole series, at least in the remaster (I don't remember whether the issues were there in the original). The poor implementation of ATB saps the fun out of the battles because I'm too busy focusing on working around the timing problems and trying not to get stun-locked on characters who aren't just spamming regular attacks. The ATB also makes playing spellcasters barely viable outside of big boss fights.
eishiya

Postby apolloonfire » April 18th, 2016, 1:12 pm

See, that's how long it's been since I actually sat down and PLAYED X-2. Reading your paragraph, it seems I still thought it used FFX's speed-based turn system, and now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe at the time, X-2 had a system I liked, but what you described just now feels absolutely miserable. This is definitely a case of memory being clouded with time.
apolloonfire

Postby Seven Rain » April 21st, 2016, 8:27 am

Took a lot longer than I thought but here's some of me playing the new FFXV demo and providing some fine low-brow entertainment with my friend Jacob;
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » April 21st, 2016, 9:52 am

Seven Rain wrote:Took a lot longer than I thought but here's some of me playing the new FFXV demo and providing some fine low-brow entertainment with my friend Jacob;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEZmM6R0CjI

I enjoyed that more than I should have :'D Thank you!
When is Squeenix going to learn that skin isn't solid-coloured though? That most things aren't. The environments look okay but Noctis looks so plastic. They've been making this mistake since FFVII, and now it's moved from FMVs to in-engine :/ I think they're so afraid of making the characters ugly that they won't even try to paint in some hue variation and little details in. FFXII did it sort of right (maybe even overdid it) with the in-engine models and that had a lot of character and didn't look as boring as this does, but even XII had plastic people for the FMVs.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » April 21st, 2016, 10:01 am

eishiya wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Took a lot longer than I thought but here's some of me playing the new FFXV demo and providing some fine low-brow entertainment with my friend Jacob;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEZmM6R0CjI

I enjoyed that more than I should have :'D Thank you!

Ahaha, and thank you for enjoying it! Even after doing these for over two years I tend to feel self-conscious about how our humor translates when others are subjected to it.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games