The Final Fantasy Thread!

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Postby blankd » August 13th, 2011, 6:20 pm

redandblack64 wrote:You know, it looks like FFVII's setting and characters were inspired by North America and Japan. Midgar reminds me of New York in a way, and Barret is based on an obvious African American stereotype seen in the media... Speaking of which, has anyone played Parasite Eve? I heard it actually takes place IN the U.S, and that the developers were realistic with it and did their homework.

They co-wrote it with a US-based team or something, but yes it is fairly well done and feels like it's actually taking place in the US.

PE2 is also a good game, but don't play 3rd Birthday if you grow to like the PE characters.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby Pagan-chan » August 13th, 2011, 11:51 pm

redandblack64 wrote:
Molly-sama wrote:@blankd and Seven: Indeed. He doesn't bother me so much, or at least he didn't (outside of stealing a friggin' key item in the original game causing a roundabout way of completing that portion), until they shoehorned him into Dirge the way they did.

Seven Rain wrote:But... But I liked Scottish Cait Sith in AC. :C

I'm just saying it bugs me because it doesn't make sense. They built a world that, following the translation of the original game (as best you can, lol), and the way their world was set up, those accents shouldn't exist (I think the most were southern-ish for Cid, uh..."urban? Mr. T-ish?" for Barret, and normal, lol). And then they said "fuck it" for their audience to better get a reference to Cait Sith's name when a Google search by anyone remotely interested could do the same.

Then they did it again in Dirge several times over because they forgot to add personalities to their bad guys.

You know, it looks like FFVII's setting and characters were inspired by North America and Japan. Midgar reminds me of New York in a way, and Barret is based on an obvious African American stereotype seen in the media... Speaking of which, has anyone played Parasite Eve? I heard it actually takes place IN the U.S, and that the developers were realistic with it and did their homework.

On FFVII, I've seen that it was originally intended to be another medieval story on the N64, then something set in actual New York right before the move to Sony. And PE probably got that from their original ideas. From what I know, FF versus XIII and VIII (Midgar especially) also got a bit of that still in it after the rewrite.
Pagan-chan

Postby Seven Rain » August 14th, 2011, 12:46 am

Pagan-chan wrote:On FFVII, I've seen that it was originally intended to be another medieval story on the N64, then something set in actual New York right before the move to Sony. And PE probably got that from their original ideas. From what I know, FF versus XIII and VIII (Midgar especially) also got a bit of that still in it after the rewrite.

If I recall correctly Versus XIII is going to have towns not just similar to, but actually modeled after real cities as well. I swear I remember Nomura or someone saying that the location they fight the Military Behemoth in is modeled after Tokyo or something, but maybe not, I dunno. My memory sucks, haha.
(Follow me on Twitter for post-SJ news!)
Sonic-ock wrote:Been a while, made a lot of really great friends here. I love this community and I love you guys, it's been so real...
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » August 15th, 2011, 12:54 am

Seven Rain wrote:
Pagan-chan wrote:On FFVII, I've seen that it was originally intended to be another medieval story on the N64, then something set in actual New York right before the move to Sony. And PE probably got that from their original ideas. From what I know, FF versus XIII and VIII (Midgar especially) also got a bit of that still in it after the rewrite.

If I recall correctly Versus XIII is going to have towns not just similar to, but actually modeled after real cities as well.

That looks like it might be, judging from the trailers. Which is pretty kickass.

Also I finally got through with just about everything FFIX-related on Dissidia. WHY WON'T THEY DO ANYTHING WITH IX AGAIN?! Like, really, why? It can't be money...it's got just as many fans as any other at this point, right? Just...more low key than VII's. Seriously, type in "Vivi" on DA and tell me there's not enough to rival Sephiroth's fan art.

Postby Seven Rain » August 15th, 2011, 1:19 am

Molly-sama wrote:Also I finally got through with just about everything FFIX-related on Dissidia. WHY WON'T THEY DO ANYTHING WITH IX AGAIN?! Like, really, why? It can't be money...it's got just as many fans as any other at this point, right? Just...more low key than VII's. Seriously, type in "Vivi" on DA and tell me there's not enough to rival Sephiroth's fan art.

Well on the bright-side the lack of sequels and spin-offs assures us that we'll never see plotholes/retcons or flanderizations. (Outside of Dissidia that is.)
Spoiler! :
I'm just gonna keep crossing my fingers for Zidane in KH3. I have too many RPGs to go through right now to deal with a new FFIX entry anytime soon anyway. ;___;
Sonic-ock wrote:Been a while, made a lot of really great friends here. I love this community and I love you guys, it's been so real...
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » August 15th, 2011, 1:28 am

Seven Rain wrote:
Molly-sama wrote:Also I finally got through with just about everything FFIX-related on Dissidia. WHY WON'T THEY DO ANYTHING WITH IX AGAIN?! Like, really, why? It can't be money...it's got just as many fans as any other at this point, right? Just...more low key than VII's. Seriously, type in "Vivi" on DA and tell me there's not enough to rival Sephiroth's fan art.

Well on the bright-side the lack of sequels and spin-offs assures us that we'll never see plotholes/retcons or flanderizations. (Outside of Dissidia that is.)
Spoiler! :
I'm just gonna keep crossing my fingers for Zidane in KH3. I have too many RPGs to go through right now to deal with a new FFIX entry anytime soon anyway. ;___;

lol I suppose....still, Kuja, Vivi, Zidane, Garnet, and Freya at least should really be in more games....KH3 or even 3D should have them. I mean, Sora and Zidane...how, how can they not be friends? XD Aside from Sora's occasionally mind-blowingly stupid behavior...

Postby Seven Rain » August 15th, 2011, 1:39 am

Pfft, Zidane and Sora would be such best buds it'd make Riku turn on his ass all over again.

Also, Freya in KH would be amazing. <3
I wouldn't mind seeing Garnet more often somewhere but seeing her in KH would probably have the same effect as seeing Tifa and Aerith in it. My brain automatically ships every girl that appears with Sora. I know, I'm insane, but Cloud has been cock-blocked like a motherfucker in my twisted noggin. I don't want to see this happen to Zidane.
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2011, 10:02 pm

Seven Rain wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Garnet more often somewhere but seeing her in KH would probably have the same effect as seeing Tifa and Aerith in it. My brain automatically ships every girl that appears with Sora. I know, I'm insane, but Cloud has been cock-blocked like a motherfucker in my twisted noggin. I don't want to see this happen to Zidane.

I dunno about Cloud. Nomura actually confirmed for fans that "Chaste Hero" he is not even before the end of FFVII.

The fact that he had to confirm this does not surprise but does disturb me.

EDIT:

I am disappointed...ya know how some games will change tiny parts of scripts depending on which character you bring with you into certain areas? I know IX does it a TON later on in the game, and VII does it for certain scenes. The thing that disappointed me though was that VII only does it for a very small amount of scenes that, with a particular character, don't quite make sense. For instance, have Vincent in your party any time Hojo shows up. There is no dialogue or movement by either character. WTF. I know the game was stretching its luck with just 3D renderings, but one dialogue box or someone flipping another character off is too much? Meh.
lol

Postby Chaoticdarkness66 » August 23rd, 2011, 8:07 am

Molly-sama wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Garnet more often somewhere but seeing her in KH would probably have the same effect as seeing Tifa and Aerith in it. My brain automatically ships every girl that appears with Sora. I know, I'm insane, but Cloud has been cock-blocked like a motherfucker in my twisted noggin. I don't want to see this happen to Zidane.

I dunno about Cloud. Nomura actually confirmed for fans that "Chaste Hero" he is not even before the end of FFVII.

The fact that he had to confirm this does not surprise but does disturb me.

EDIT:

I am disappointed...ya know how some games will change tiny parts of scripts depending on which character you bring with you into certain areas? I know IX does it a TON later on in the game, and VII does it for certain scenes. The thing that disappointed me though was that VII only does it for a very small amount of scenes that, with a particular character, don't quite make sense. For instance, have Vincent in your party any time Hojo shows up. There is no dialogue or movement by either character. WTF. I know the game was stretching its luck with just 3D renderings, but one dialogue box or someone flipping another character off is too much? Meh.
lol

I know right?! Lol I guess they just thought they could skip it since they thought no one would find yuffie or Vincent at that point of the game. seriously I did not know Vincent or yuffie existed until I saw advent children.

Chaoticdarkness66

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2011, 4:32 pm

TerminalMontage wrote:Wow. Final Fantasy XIII-2 looks great!

I'm not going to bother with the first, I hope I don't miss out on much.

Holy shit I want that game. Lightning looks like a more badass version of KOS-MOS with freaking Odin, too. XD

Postby Seven Rain » August 23rd, 2011, 9:24 pm

Indeed, it looks great. I even bought and plan to eventually finish FFXIII in preparation for it. Only thing I'm kinda bummed about is the fact that Serah is Snow's fiance, meaning romance between her and Noel is pretty much out of the question. Bums me out 'cuz from what I've seen I like Noel more than Snow.
Seven Rain

Postby blankd » August 23rd, 2011, 10:26 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Indeed, it looks great. I even bought and plan to eventually finish FFXIII in preparation for it. Only thing I'm kinda bummed about is the fact that Serah is Snow's fiance, meaning romance between her and Noel is pretty much out of the question. Bums me out 'cuz from what I've seen I like Noel more than Snow.

Actually now that I've seen more of Noel I keep thinking "Fang why are you a young man now?" /shot
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Indeed, it looks great. I even bought and plan to eventually finish FFXIII in preparation for it. Only thing I'm kinda bummed about is the fact that Serah is Snow's fiance, meaning romance between her and Noel is pretty much out of the question. Bums me out 'cuz from what I've seen I like Noel more than Snow.

Hey, maybe Nomura will mix it up for once, and they'll break off the engagement. XD Or kill Snow, which seems more likely in that situation. RPG's never just have break ups. Someone always has to die...

Postby blankd » August 24th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Molly-sama wrote:

Hey, maybe Nomura will mix it up for once, and they'll break off the engagement. XD Or kill Snow, which seems more likely in that situation. RPG's never just have break ups. Someone always has to die...

Guys given the pattern for FF#-2's, she's gonna be pregnant.

Image Image
blankd

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2011, 12:48 am

blankd wrote:
Molly-sama wrote:

Guys given the pattern for FF#-2's, she's gonna be pregnant.

Weeeeeeeeeeeell, she could also just end up with a completely different personality, too, or, going by other FF sequels without "2s", jump back about half a game in characterization. lol

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games