The Final Fantasy Thread!

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Postby gun21 » July 25th, 2017, 4:21 pm

TheJGamer wrote:Of course, they have FF7 on Steam, but I'm a bit short on money right now.

It's only 12 or so bucks. I think it's a pretty good place to start, I think it's one of the more simple games in terms of actual mechanics.

I started with FF1 with the GBA version, but apparently the PSP version (which is the best) has been ported to Android and IOS. The problem is that they're DRM, so if that's an issue, avoid it.

Also, wholly avoid V, VI, and VII phone ports.

I hear that III, IV, and IX are okay.
gun21

Postby Soft Dorito » July 25th, 2017, 10:49 pm

gun21 wrote:
TheJGamer wrote:Of course, they have FF7 on Steam, but I'm a bit short on money right now.

It's only 12 or so bucks. I think it's a pretty good place to start, I think it's one of the more simple games in terms of actual mechanics.

It's on PSN too! Oh, and just an FYI, the translation goes from pretty good to "...what?" at random points. But it does essentially walk you through everything you need to know. That's a good thing about PS1 FF is the tutorials were pretty quick and easy (I can't speak about the most current games - I don't have access to them).

I started on 7 and 9, the latter of which is a pretty nice starting point too. The games have similar controls and 9 has a much better translation. The story is also fantastic. You won't quite get some of the references to the past games, but they aren't plot crucial.
I'm trying. :)
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Sketchbook
Soft Dorito

Postby trenton_dawn » July 26th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Seven Rain wrote:There's also Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for SNES, which I haven't played myself, (though I've always wanted to,) but I think the whole point of that game was to be an introduction to FF and JRPGs for newer players, so that might be a good starting point for you. I just don't know how many elements it shares with the mainline series. Part of the appeal of FF is the consistency of it's concepts and shared elements.

Mystic Quest was the first RPG that I played growing up, and it's extremely different from other Final Fantasy games.
-Battle is turn based instead of pseudo-realtime
-No equipment customization. New equipment is a strict upgrade on your previous stuff and is automatically equipped
-Most spells are simply variations on "deal elemental damage"
-Monsters are visible on the overworld, not encountered randomly
-Extremely simplistic story and characters

Overall, it's a decently fun game on its own (6.5 or 7 out of 10?), but I almost don't consider it as a 'real' Final Fantasy game.

Personally, I think 4 and 7 are the most accessible as they have relatively intuitive combat/leveling systems. 5 and 6 are my favorites but the class system of 5 takes a while to get the hang of and 6 has all that stuff with equipped Magicite determining your level-up bonuses which is pretty counter-intuitive.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby thelordbaeron » November 10th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Favorite FF? VII is definitely a big one for me, but story-wise it'd be have to be Tactics. That game, in spite of a horrible translation, was a masterpiece and the only tragedy that Square has ever made.

That said, VII crafted my teenage years and overall changed my tastes in a way nothing else ever could. I'm cautiously optimistic for the remake, but the episodic feature leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm a heathen who feels that VI is overrated, and IV is amazing, though the years have not been kind to it.

I'm so glad someone else brought up Mystic Quest, because that was my introduction to FF. I acknowledge it's not the best game but it holds a level of nostalgia for me (and has a kick ass soundtrack).

I played XI off-and-on for 10 years, and now am an avid player of XIV (Lord Nick, Hyperion--hit me up!)

I'm on my 2nd playthrough of XV, as they added more story. I love the game, I just wish it had more cutscenes. Which, frankly, is something I never thought I'd say about a FF game.
thelordbaeron

Postby Soft Dorito » November 12th, 2017, 8:40 pm

thelordbaeron wrote:Favorite FF? VII is definitely a big one for me, but story-wise it'd be have to be Tactics. That game, in spite of a horrible translation, was a masterpiece and the only tragedy that Square has ever made.

Well, for FF games anyway. Chrono Cross' ending could be considered tragic, if only for the implications it places on all the timelines.
I'm trying. :)
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Sketchbook
Soft Dorito

Postby Seven Rain » November 13th, 2017, 4:12 am

I haven't beaten it yet but from what I've heard FFXV is a tragedy as well, but they were kinda billing it like that for a while anyway.
Seven Rain

Postby thelordbaeron » November 28th, 2017, 12:04 am

See, my counter-point is this:

Spoiler! :
In FFXV, it's really a tale of friendship, with some pretty tragic elements going with it. However, the overall theme was friendship overcoming all obstacles. And there are numerous characters who got a happy ending. Chrono Cross? Even with the timeline royally fucked and the cast of Trigger getting the short end of the stick, a lot of the cast of Chrono Cross got a pretty solid ending. Ain't nobody was happy with the end of Tactics. Ramza is dead, and the world believed he was a heretic for 1000 years, Olan was eventually killed as a heretic, Delita loses his humanity in his bid for power, and most of the cast is just flat out dead.
thelordbaeron

Postby simplykit19 » December 23rd, 2018, 2:47 pm

first rpg game i ever played

a huge fan of tifa , rinoa n quistis

sephiroth is epic
simplykit19

Previous

Return to Video Games