The Final Fantasy Thread!

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Postby Seven Rain » September 12th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Molly-sama wrote:Though I think Tidus was miles ahead of Squall in terms of likability.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there. If he stayed the way he was in Zanarkand I would've loved Tidus, but his whining, daddy issues and obnoxious swooning over Yuna made it pretty easy for me to hate him more than Cloudflanderization Leonhart, haha.
Seven Rain

Postby Pagan-chan » September 12th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Molly-sama wrote:Though I think Tidus was miles ahead of Squall in terms of likability.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there. If he stayed the way he was in Zanarkand I would've loved Tidus, but his whining, daddy issues and obnoxious swooning over Yuna made it pretty easy for me to hate him more than Cloudflanderization Leonhart, haha.

Agreed. I may not have finished playing 8, but I find Squall much more enjoyable than Tidus any day. If you ask me, the main character of X should have been Yuna. Maybe then we wouldn't have had to listen to Tidus's internal whining alongside the rest of it.
Pagan-chan

Postby ApaFox » September 12th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Molly-sama wrote:
Exactly! Sidekick Edition! lol That's what Vaan was there for, too, right?

Oh, ZING!

Oh, don't stop. Wasn't Basch supposed to be the main character of 12?

Spoiler! :
I'm surprised Gabranth didn't turn out to be Vaan's twin.

Pagan-chan wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:

Agreed. I may not have finished playing 8, but I find Squall much more enjoyable than Tidus any day. If you ask me, the main character of X should have been Yuna. Maybe then we wouldn't have had to listen to Tidus's internal whining alongside the rest of it.

How long do you think it would take for Squall to lose it with Tidus if they were in the same traveling party together?

Spoiler! :
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » September 12th, 2011, 12:34 pm

ApaFox wrote:How long do you think it would take for Squall to lose it with Tidus if they were in the same traveling party together?

Spoiler! :
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

That depends on whether it's FFX Tidus or Zanarkand/Dissidia Tidus.

... Actually it probably doesn't. I'm sure Squal would be equally annoyed by both.
Seven Rain

Postby Pagan-chan » September 12th, 2011, 12:35 pm

ApaFox wrote:
Pagan-chan wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there. If he stayed the way he was in Zanarkand I would've loved Tidus, but his whining, daddy issues and obnoxious swooning over Yuna made it pretty easy for me to hate him more than Cloudflanderization Leonhart, haha.

How long do you think it would take for Squall to lose it with Tidus if they were in the same traveling party together?

Spoiler! :
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

:lol: Squall would have Tidus's head on a pike within five minutes. And I'm being generous with that estimate.
Last edited by Amante on September 21st, 2011, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Pagan-chan

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2011, 1:08 pm

While he was annoying, I just found Squall to be a prick. It was kind of picking between annoying whining and general douchebaggery. I guess I have more tolerance for the former. XD

ApaFox wrote:
Molly-sama wrote:
Exactly! Sidekick Edition! lol That's what Vaan was there for, too, right?

Oh, ZING!

Oh, don't stop. Wasn't Basch supposed to be the main character of 12?

Then I shall continue! ...Once I think of something else. Also: Yup. XD
The development team explained their decision to change Basch's role in the game was due to the target audiences' demographics, as well as their reaction to another game in the Ivalice Alliance, Vagrant Story.

After the game - whose protagonist, Ashley Riot, is a "strong man in his prime" - was generally poorly received in comparison to previous Final Fantasy titles, developers opted to create a younger, more effeminate hero in order to appeal to the player demographics.

Postby Seven Rain » September 14th, 2011, 12:58 am

Already mentioned it in the General Gaming thread, but I feel it's worth mentioning here;
FFX HD Remaster is coming to the Vita!
Pretty cool.
Seven Rain

Postby Sorrows Neptune » September 14th, 2011, 12:39 pm

I'm actually kind of looking forward to this...I mean, it's a rhythmic game. With Final Fantasy!
Sorrows Neptune

Postby NoDanico » September 14th, 2011, 8:51 pm

I've been playing Tactics again after like twelve years and this time I made my guy into a Calculator. This thing is a friggin' beast! I can cast spell on people across the map for no mp or casting time! Sure every now and then I hit one of my guys with the odd lightning bolt but hey, I can one round random Mobs.
Math is power!
Seeds of Magic, Book One of the Metus Saga- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo
NoDanico

Postby Sorrows Neptune » September 15th, 2011, 2:36 am

ApaFox wrote:Wasn't Basch supposed to be the main character of 12?

Man, Final Fantasy XII would have had such a better story if it centered around Basch.
Sorrows Neptune

Postby Bowserknight » September 19th, 2011, 10:40 am

Oh hey look more Theatrhythm footage, if you don't mind people talking over it in Japanese.
1:10 is when the footage starts to come on.
4:39 looks like some kind of hard mode compared to the last video.
and at 6:20 They summon Ifrit
Bowserknight

Postby Seven Rain » September 25th, 2011, 6:25 am

So I just sat down and played the demo for Type-0... Not understanding Japanese meant I was obviously just winging it throughout the whole demo and didn't know what any of the text was saying, but I managed to start up the mission and try out several of the characters in combat. It was fun, though it seems the game is going to be fairly unforgiving, seeing as how you're able to rely on an entire team of characters, (a new one stepping in after your current character falls in battle, done by holding L and pressing up on the D-Pad to select a stand-in while you stare at the corpse of who you were just playing as,) the bosses/mini-bosses weren't pulling any punches. Especially when I got to the Behemoth. Fighting a bigass Behemoth in a small room ended up chewing through a few of my characters, but he was finished easily with a summon.

Summons seem to be OP as fuck in this game but for good reason; You basically sacrifice your current character to summon. You see your character die and then temporarily replaced with the summon beast itself which you then control and fight with until a little timer runs out, after which it's bye-bye summon beast and the character that summoned it. Though keep in mind I didn't look through any of the stats and stuff in the prep screen since I can't read Japanese. I saw that the characters themselves were all around level 6 or 7-ish but for all I know the summons might've been super over-leveled for the demo. *Shrug*
(And might I add Shiva is more fanservice-y in this game than she has ever been before.)

Overall it was pretty cool. I'd definitely try to get my hands on it if they bring it over to the US, but I think it's UMD only, which is kinda lame. Oh well, considering how much hype FFXIII got before coming out and the lack of any hints towards Type-0 coming over here, odds are this will be a FF we never get the chance to play. :C
Seven Rain

Postby xkrazydog » September 30th, 2011, 9:39 am

Replaying FFIX!!
Nostalgia... Oh my god... Most perfect game ever.
*melts at soundtrack*

Btw I hate FFVII. Replayed it recently, what a pile of unorganized Poo.
It had some good moments (like when Shinra was actually a threat) but there was some random candy tossed in. (i also cant stand the characters for the exception of maybe Cait Sith and Tseng, everyone else were shallow puddles)
If they make a remake i'll open it full arms if they fix the shoddy dialogue and add more meat to this story because i'd rather not sift through the extra sides and spin-offs just to find a decent hint of a story.
xkrazydog

Postby Guest » September 30th, 2011, 12:30 pm

xkrazydog wrote:Replaying FFIX!!
*melts at soundtrack*

It had some good moments (like when Shinra was actually a threat) but there was some random candy tossed in. (i also cant stand the characters for the exception of maybe Cait Sith and Tseng, everyone else were shallow puddles)
If they make a remake i'll open it full arms if they fix the shoddy dialogue and add more meat to this story because i'd rather not sift through the extra sides and spin-offs just to find a decent hint of a story.

IX = :D

I think most of the dialogue issues were with the translation. Apparently Square was pissed about FFVI's translation or something to that effect and decided to do it themselves. In Japan. *facepalm* At least they learned their lesson with IX; they did that one in Hawaii. XD

Cait Sith? Wow...most people say the opposite. XD I'm still thinking Tseng is a highlander or something...that guy just does not want to go away (he looks the exact same from Crisis Core -> Advent Children, and GETS SET ON FIRE only to show up 5 minutes later like, "What?"). And the story...I'd rather they just left it alone. Nothing in the extra crap is worth going through, especially story wise. It basically just retcons the shit out of everything to make room for pointless characters to show up (well, except Advent Children, which is basically like a prettier version of Return of Jafar for FFVII).

Postby xkrazydog » September 30th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Molly-sama wrote:
xkrazydog wrote:Replaying FFIX!!
*melts at soundtrack*

IX = :D

I think most of the dialogue issues were with the translation. Apparently Square was pissed about FFVI's translation or something to that effect and decided to do it themselves. In Japan. *facepalm* At least they learned their lesson with IX; they did that one in Hawaii. XD

Cait Sith? Wow...most people say the opposite. XD I'm still thinking Tseng is a highlander or something...that guy just does not want to go away (he looks the exact same from Crisis Core -> Advent Children, and GETS SET ON FIRE only to show up 5 minutes later like, "What?"). And the story...I'd rather they just left it alone. Nothing in the extra crap is worth going through, especially story wise. It basically just retcons the shit out of everything to make room for pointless characters to show up (well, except Advent Children, which is basically like a prettier version of Return of Jafar for FFVII).

VII can take a lesson in pacing and storytelling, the characters really got no spotlight and their closure was very instant with them being generally wallflowers for the rest of the game. Atleast Cait Sith had a bit of depth to him when you realize his true identity as:
Spoiler! :
Reeves

Then you really feel for him.

And from a previous post: I would take Tidus over Squall any day. Squall just came off as obnoxious, while his other companions try to get close to him, he just swats them away and calls them annoying. Even as so far late in the game he was generally aloof and didn't show much concern for their wellbeings aside from "Hey, yeah, okay its a job so i'll help." The game play in general was just... bad. Monsters leveling with you really gave no incentive to explore, especially since you get money via wages also hampered the desire to engage in battle. GF's dont run on MP, Equipment upgrades was a hassle, and ugh so painful.
VIII was deffinitely my least favorite Final Fantasy game next to X-2.

Tidus came off whiney but that was because of fail voice acting (and square's first attempt at voice acting in a game) and if you were a promising up and coming blitzball star who's dad was a legend and disappeared before you can one up him (and caused the depression and death of your mother) then thrust into a new world where your city is supposedly DESTROYED 1000 years ago. I'd be whiny as hell too. And atleast later
on he puts himself aside to help Yuna. He also took his reveal and tragic truth of his existance extremely well considering...

Spoiler! :
He doesnt exist

Both cases he copes with it well and grows splendidly as a character. Whereas Cloud and Squall had NO reason to be broody since.

Cloud:
Spoiler! :
doesnt even remember his horrible tragic past until his adventure, and Zack's memories were quite fond

and Squall... well Squall really had no reason to be a rude, brooding and passive agressive douchebag.
xkrazydog

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games