The Final Fantasy Thread!

The Final Fantasy Thread!

Postby Molly-sama » July 24th, 2011, 3:40 pm

There wasn't one. Hope this doesn't go downhill fast...remember to be civil and opinion=opinion=/=fact, I guess. :D I love talking about games on this forum waaaaaaaaaay more than any other, so let's get started...

So then there's this:

Which was your favorite game/character(s)?
What do you like best about the series?
What do you hate the most about it?
Dissidia anyone?
Would you be up for a FFVII remake?
Do you love IX?
And...XIII? XIV? MMOs?

I don't know...just post. haha...

As for me, I love IX for the characters and story. Anyone who's been on the random picture thread around April 1st knows I love its resident trap, and Vivi is badass in its cutest form. :D It's definitely my favorite out of the series.
I generally like the stories and characters the series has, and it's much better when they decide not to take themselves too seriously (Cloud in drag). Unfortunately, the FFVII Compilation kinda forgot that. Dissidia is incredibly fun...and an FFVII remake would be great, if only they left the idiotic retcons out *coughGenesiscough* I can't say anything for what I haven't played.

So yeah, you guys? :D
Molly-sama

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread!

Postby redandblack64 » July 24th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Hmm... I'm waiting for Final Fantasy V and VI 3DS, after playing through III and IV DS. Those were new games to me, as I haven't played any game before VII (before playing the remakes on DS), and I find it hard to even imagine a 2D, tile based Final Fantasy. Don't know what to say about Final Fantasy as a whole, because I've only played 3, 4, 7, 8 and 9. So far, 9 is my favorite one.

From those games alone, I can say the games are fun but a bit flawed. I think the Chrono series is better (so far). Reading the Rise and Fall of Final Fantasy on socksmakepeoplesexy.com was certainly interesting. Now I want to try the rest of the games out. Can't say I'm a fan of this series.
redandblack64

Postby Seven Rain » July 24th, 2011, 4:09 pm

I thought about making this thread, but I knew you'd do it sooner or later so I waited for you to do the honors. ;D

Toss up between FFV, VI, and IX.
FFV for the nostalgia and overall Dragonball-esque adventure feel to it, FFVI for the amazing style, cast and story, and FFIX for a little of both, and for being the first oldschool FF I played of my own choosing, unlike FFVIII which my friend Alan had already played before I got to. I think FFIX kind of solidified my love for the more fantasy-ish oldschool Final Fantasies. FFIX held a special place in my heart, even though I'm actually a fan of Nomura's, and I guess it's only natural that I ended up falling in love with the oldschool games IX was meant to be a throwback to.

Pfft, what don't I like about the series? It remains one of my favorite game series of all time, and it's impossible to think of my favorite aspects. I love just about everything about it.

The lame localizations done to the old ones here in the West. Kefka's banter in FFIII may have been fun, but the title change from VI to III, (after they skipped FFII, III and V in the west,) and the editing gets on my nerves, especially since such things have to rear their ugly heads in virtual console releases and stuff.

That and I hate the hype around FFVII. Yeah, it was a great game, but not great enough to deserve dozens of spin-offs/sequels and fans begging for a remake.

Dissidia anyone?
Love it. Smash Bros. for Final Fantasy, of course I love it. :D

Absolutely not. At least not a full-blown blu-ray remake like the tech demo everyone busted a nut over a few years back. A polished-up remake with some added content 'ala the handheld remakes I wouldn't mind, but not something that's going to take Square several years to make. The game was amazing, but so was a lot of the series, and if anything I think it deserves a remake the least. It's already crazy popular and even has it's own universe expanded upon constantly with spin-offs and sequels. A serious remake would do nothing but re-enforce the hype instead of giving one of the other games a new moment in the spotlight.

Do you love IX?
I love it as much as Zidane loves bitches.
Spoiler! :

And...XIII? XIV? MMOs?
I don't bother with the MMOs as long as they remain subscription based, but FFXIII I was pleasantly surprised with. I expected to hate it as much as everyone else but after seeing my friend and fellow-FF-fan play a large portion of the game over here at my house, I ended up loving it more than I thought and even bought a copy myself about a month ago. The soundtrack is especially wonderful, and the linearity doesn't really bother me as long as I keep thoughts of Versus fresh in my mind. Instead of worrying about what FFXIII lacks I just love it for what it is, knowing Versus will fulfill the FF needs that FFXIII doesn't.

Oh, and the sequel looks amazing. FFXIII-2 was one of the driving reasons for me to grab the first one.

Now then, if I may segue that into FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII.
Am I the only one here who is more excited for this than just about any game for the past five years? (Probably.)
I bought a PS3 for this game, and I've been waiting for it's release since first seeing it years ago. All the gameplay and info that's been released slowly over the years just makes me that much more hungry for the game.
For those who haven't been keeping tabs on it check the wiki.
The game is meant to be something completely new yet at the same time a nostalgic love letter to longtime fans.
Chocobos, Airships, Crystals, Towns, cities, a vast free-roaming world, a great-looking battle system, music by Yoko Kanno, I can't stop obsessing over this game. I've heard enough already to know I'm looking forward to it more than any Square game since the first Kingdom Hearts stole my heart and drove me to buy a PS2. This game will be the Kingdom Hearts of my young adulthood.

While I'm at it, here's the latest gameplay video from Square's 1st Production Department Premier. (Watch it in 720p or 1080p if your comp can handle it. It looks gorgeous. And dat Dragoon girl.)

As amazing as it looks I sometimes feel like I'm the only one around here who's excited for it. :C
Last edited by Seven Rain on July 24th, 2011, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Rain

Postby RyoSoulreaper » July 24th, 2011, 4:15 pm

IV, XIII, and IX. I "liked" the others but I feel in love with those 3. Zidane is by far one of my favorites but Lightning and the Warrior of Light are cool too.
The abilities and customization of said abilities.
The constant change of the system. Why fix what isn't broke?
Dissidia anyone?
K. I got both. I prefer the second on cuz I like the new characters. Tifa, Yuna, and Lightning <3
Sure.
Do you love IX?
Yup.
And...XIII? XIV? MMOs?
I liked XIII but the mmo's are just.....why?
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby blankd » July 24th, 2011, 4:39 pm

(Obligatory)

FFTA and FFXII. I make it a point to have at least one favorite from each game (ALWAYS IN PARTY, game limits be damned ;_;), weirdly I like Balthier, Zell and Rikku the most overall.

Tech-wise I have nothing but respect for the series. I rather enjoy that they mix up the settings and staffwise for their projects. I actually adore the world of Ivalice.

Sometimes the clothing choices make me "Sqaure, WHY?" (To those who know about my posts in the gen gaming thread) I'm usually more lukewarm towards the series rather than actually hate it, lol.

Dissidia anyone?
Still require a PSP )8

The frothing rabid "fans" make me want to say "no" just to piss them off, especially in consideration of all the expanded universe games released to please them. But as someone said, if it's just a quick touchup game + release (on DS or something), I ain't against to it.

Do you love IX?
I might if I could finally play it )8.

And...XIII? XIV? MMOs?
No time for MMOs, I'm still confused why they didn't use the already made "FF races" and instead invented (in my opinion, kind of boring) new ones, would it have come off as too "WoW" or something? FF13 is "eh" towards me, odd as it is, it actually didn't FEEL like an FF game, I think it may have been because of how far Sci-Fi it came off as? Regardless the music is pretty nice.

@FFvsXIII
I'm fairly excited about it, but the lack of a release date previously curbed me really voicing it in the forums.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby Seven Rain » July 24th, 2011, 5:24 pm

blankd wrote:Do you love IX?

PSOne Classiiiiics~

blankd wrote:@FFvsXIII
I'm fairly excited about it, but the lack of a release date previously curbed me really voicing it in the forums.

I can understand that... A release date is still the one thing I really want to see. :C
Seven Rain

Postby Molly-sama » July 24th, 2011, 5:25 pm

redandblack64 wrote:From those games alone, I can say the games are fun but a bit flawed. I think the Chrono series is better (so far). Reading the Rise and Fall of Final Fantasy on socksmakepeoplesexy.com was certainly interesting. Now I want to try the rest of the games out. Can't say I'm a fan of this series.

I don't really follow when people talk about the "rise and fall" of Final Fantasy. Take the reaction to XIII for instance: what game in the series HASN'T caused the already existing fans to riot? XD I know what you mean by "flawed" though, but I can't agree with you on the Chrono series. Now don't get me wrong, the music for those games is just beautiful (and my favorite part of the game- I even bought Chrono Cross's soundtrack for $30 just to have a physical copy), and the graphics are awesome. Chrono Trigger is a great game, and Cross is a personal favorite game of mine. Buuuuut even I have to admit, the story itself was just handled badly. I won't go as far as to say it's as confusing as some make it out to be, but the last minute exposition after a pretty much dry period in terms of story kind of pissed me off.

Spoiler! :
Lynx as Serge's father for instance. Way to put that one in the plot while it's still relevant. :roll:

RyoSoulreaper wrote:What do you hate the most about it?
The constant change of the system. Why fix what isn't broke?

Yeah, I thought about that, too. I figure it's trying to keep up with the other new games coming out, both by Japanese developers, and the WRPGs that are all the rage, lol.

Seven Rain wrote:I thought about making this thread, but I knew you'd do it sooner or later so I waited for you to do the honors. ;D

ahaha well, thank you then. XD

That and I hate the hype around FFVII. Yeah, it was a great game, but not great enough to deserve dozens of spin-offs/sequels and fans begging for a remake.

Actually, I wish they'd do something else with IX. Not written by Nomura. Other writers on their staff have expressed interest for a sequel-like, people that worked on the original game-so I wish they'd let them.

Do you love IX?
I love it as much as Zidane loves bitches.
Spoiler! :

And this is what we call an instant win. XD lol

Am I the only one here who is more excited for this than just about any game for the past five years? (Probably.)
I bought a PS3 for this game, and I've been waiting for it's release since first seeing it years ago. All the gameplay and info that's been released slowly over the years just makes me that much more hungry for the game.
The game is meant to be something completely new yet at the same time a nostalgic love letter to longtime fans.
Chocobos, Airships, Crystals, Towns, cities, a vast free-roaming world, a great-looking battle system, music by Yoko Kanno, I can't stop obsessing over this game. I've heard enough already to know I'm looking forward to it more than any Square game since the first Kingdom Hearts stole my heart and drove me to buy a PS2. This game will be the Kingdom Hearts of my young adulthood.

I would really be more excited about it...except that I haven't played XIII yet. If my brother will be so kind as to let me use his Xbox 360 for the first one, I'd probably be just as excited about it as KH2 (he might get a PS3 soon, so I can wait on that too, haha). That being said, I do like the character designs that I've seen, and the trailers look great. Still, I think I ought to play XIII first. XD Also by the time I get to play it, it will probably be marked down at Gamestop. XD

blankd wrote:Which was your favorite game/character(s)?
FFTA and FFXII.

Ah you just reminded me of Tactics! (WotL/original) I can't believe I forgot it. XD
Sometimes the clothing choices make me "Sqaure, WHY?"

Yeeeeeeah, I definitely see that...

A polished-up remake with some added content 'ala the handheld remakes I wouldn't mind, but not something that's going to take Square several years to make.

if it's just a quick touchup game + release (on DS or something), I ain't against to it.

Yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from on that. Though personally, I wouldn't mind something that would, I think as was said in an interview, take them "five years or so," just as long as it was...well, the old game. The new stuff is just tacked on and caused a lot more plot holes...mostly the prequels, though...and Dirge. Really, I think Advent Children and Last Order (and I suppose the "case of ___" novella) were good enough. At least they stuck to established continuity. Though a PSP remake would be freaking awesome. PSP graphics are generally prettier than the DS, and they'd probably use the 3DS, which I don't have... XD lol

Do you love IX?

Why can't you?

And just a little side thing on Nomura, I can't say I'm a huge fan of his. I like some of his designs, but only about maybe half. The others are just bland leather clad loony looking characters or making me wonder if he was an American comics fan in the 90's. And...well, he's just not a very good writer outside of KH. He didn't write the original VII story, so I don't really get how he ended up being in charge of the Compilation, especially since most of what he's done so far are really bad retcons.
Molly-sama

Postby Seven Rain » July 24th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Molly-sama wrote:

I would really be more excited about it...except that I haven't played XIII yet. If my brother will be so kind as to let me use his Xbox 360 for the first one, I'd probably be just as excited about it as KH2 (he might get a PS3 soon, so I can wait on that too, haha). That being said, I do like the character designs that I've seen, and the trailers look great. Still, I think I ought to play XIII first. XD Also by the time I get to play it, it will probably be marked down at Gamestop. XD

I can understand not having the ability to play it, being PS3 exclusive and all, but for the record you don't have to play FFXIII to understand it. Other than the L'Cie/Fa'Cie lore the games are going to be completely unrelated. I still wish they'd remove the XIII from the name altogether like they did with Agito/Type-0.
I'm sure you already knew that though, haha.
Seven Rain

Postby Vitotamito » July 24th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Game? IX. HANDS DOWN.

Sazh (XIII)
Balthier (XII)
Zidane (IX)
Vivi (IX)
Barret (VII)
Cid (ALL)

I like to see the neat worlds they build, and I like the complex stories they weave.

They usually all reach a very frustrating point in the game where it almost seems LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT. Also, I'd like more customizable characters and dialogue options. My dream would be a Final Fantasy with the Mass Effect dialogue wheel and good/bad options.

Dissidia anyone?
Haven't played it.

Yes. I need a reason to want to play it again. I wasn't a huge fan. I thought it was pretty cool for the most part, especially starting off in the city, but after that I got a little bored with it. I'd like some updated Graphics to make Sephiroth even cooler.

Do you love IX?
IX Is by far my favorite. In fact it's up there in my top 5 games of all time. I've played through it about 5 times (only beat it once...)

And...XIII? XIV? MMOs?
XIII was such a weird effing game. I could not follow the story whatsoever. I eventually got upset with that and the fact that I was stuck on a boss and gave up. Good things? The Black dude was AWESOME. Lightning was very attractive. And the characters were neat in general. It was a beautiful game, and the battle system was pretty interesting as well.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby TerminalMontage » July 24th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Vivi all the way.
The fantasy environments in the first 10, the adventure, the music, the story, then characters.
I like everything about the first 10, all the ones after, there are a few things here and there..
Like using a gameboy advanced to play multiplayer in FF Crystal Chronicles for GC.
Or the horribleness of FF XIV, everything about it was bad.
Dissidia anyone?
Eh, it's alright. Personally I think it gets boring fast, I don't like the RPG aspect, when it comes to competitive play with friends I'm usually super stronger, even if we set our levels to the same. I have newer techniques, and better equipment and it's a hassle to equip crappy stuff. I wish it was ALL skill with no RPG element, like a normal fighting game.
Sure why not. I mean they're already milking the franchise so much, why stop?
Do you love IX?
9 Is my favorite, 10 is my second favorite.
And...XIII? XIV? MMOs?
Yeah, no. I spent 6 months on XIV, I regret it more than anything in my life.
TerminalMontage

Postby Molly-sama » July 24th, 2011, 8:57 pm

So XIV was worse than XI? Most I hear about that one is that it's really bland.

Seven Rain wrote:I can understand not having the ability to play it, being PS3 exclusive and all, but for the record you don't have to play FFXIII to understand it. Other than the L'Cie/Fa'Cie lore the games are going to be completely unrelated. I still wish they'd remove the XIII from the name altogether like they did with Agito/Type-0.
I'm sure you already knew that though, haha.

Yeah, but I want to see how the world and everything is portrayed in XIII if they all use the same base. :)
Molly-sama

Postby Seven Rain » July 24th, 2011, 9:13 pm

FFXI sounded pretty good from all I've heard. Basically the main complaint I always heard was that it was brutally difficult to play without a party.
I honestly would've played the hell out of FFXI if it weren't for the subscription.

Molly-sama wrote:Yeah, but I want to see how the world and everything is portrayed in XIII if they all use the same base. :)

I can understand that. I sort of felt the same way getting FFXIII. It wasn't a driving reason for me to get it but afterwards I thought, "hey, even if I don't enjoy it I'll at least no more about the lore."

The ironic thing is that so far Type-0, (the one that dropped the XIII label,) seems to have a lot more in common with FFXIII than Versus does. Type-0 has even had announced characters that are confirmed to be L'Cie. Versus? I haven't heard or seen anything even remotely reference L'Cie or Fal'Cie, but then again I'm starting to think Versus may be a distant prequel to the FFXIII universe, seeing as how it's closer to modern times than all the futuristic sci-fi future sci-fy-ness of FFXIII and Type-0.
Seven Rain

Postby TerminalMontage » July 24th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Final Fantasy XI was a solid MMO, not as popular as WoW, and I played it late in it's life, but it seemed to have content.

Final Fantasy XIV was a train wreck.

The first few months it had HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE LAG. Want to look at your inventory? Press the menu button, now wait 10 seconds for it to pop up. Oh, there is the menu, now select ITEMS, wait some more. Clicking NPCs to talk to or vendor items to, took just as long, there was a 10 second delay on everything. Yet I continued to play, I was optimistic. After a few months they improved the delay to 5 seconds, I started playing in September, it wasn't until January, when I quit, that the delay was *almost* gone.

Another huge issue was the copy pasta http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La9nLBfH44c watch that, it's much worse in the forest. Oh God is it bad. Their weren't very many enemies either, every region had rats, the next region up had white rats, then red, then blue, oh there were mushroom too, then red mushrooms. There were giant slugs too, then blue ones, then green ones. It was awful, there are probably no more than, 15-20 enemy designs, in the whole game.

The story was awful, and there was no content so the game was a huge grindfest. The game has no bosses (it has NMs now, "Notorious Monsters" but they're not "bosses" they're big enemies with no cool boss music, that you can find roaming around fields every hour, that take a team of 20 people to kill, very boring, and you don't get EXP from them, and most the time you don't get an item). There were a few dungeons with dead ends (some looked kind of cool, a boss at the end would be nice), the quests, or guildeleves, were awful, they were the core quests of the game, and they were worse than WoW Dailies. You are limited to how many you can do in a day, and they're all chores.

About limits, you were limited to how much EXP/SP you can gain in a week.

Game mechanics were broken, and still are today. I wanted to be a damage dealing mage, I put lots of points in magic, but people who put all their points in HP and MP did the same amount of damage, with the same equipment that I had. So I took all my points and put them into HP and MP, I took the same amount of damage that I took when I had points balanced into defense, etc. Clothing was also purely cosmetic, I could fight the strongest mob in the game with no armor on, and take the same amount of damage. Your equipment required repairs after use, but I never repaired my stuff because it cost lots of money, or I had to be a level 1 million crafter to do it, and being a crafter wouldnt pay off, cause if I repaired my wand, I would still do the same amount of damage that my "broken" wand would so, and broken armor took the same amount of damage that fixed, new armor took. It was awful.

Variety in clothing and everything was very minimalistic. Everyone looked the same, and looks the same today, there are just variations in color to the 10 different outfits.

Special Moves and Magic Spells looked AWFUL TOO. THIS IS WHAT GOT TO ME THE MOST. I leveled up to 47, highest level was 50, you learned ANCIENT MAGIC SPELLS at 45. All the spells before that level look the same. Level 1 Fire looked like a red aura. Level 1 water looked like the fire spell but blue, level 1 thunder was purple, etc. Level 2 fire was the same, but a LITTLE bit bigger, level 3 fire, a LITTLE bigger than lvl2, and then ANCIENT MAGIC. OH MAN. I WORKED SO HARD FOR IT.

Ancient Magic, uses 100MP to cast, takes 30 seconds to cast and shows you the animation. It's pathetic. I don't know how anyone could animate it and not be ashamed of themselves. FLARE, was a tiny little fart of a flame that lasts for less than half a second. It is smaller than Level 1 fire, and after the animation, you have to wait 30 more seconds for it to deal damage, and it's not very powerful. QUAKE is a tiny crack in the earth, same concept. And all the other Ancient spells are the same.

Towns were boring, and environments didn't look anything like a Final Fantasy game. Crystal caves? No. Floating Castles? No. Space? No. You get, green fields, deserts, generic forests, a cave with jellyfish in it, and castles you can't go inside. Need to travel? Well there are no Chocobos or Airships. Fun with a friend? Nothing requires it, in fact the main quests force you to do them alone.

Game was a disaster. A horrible, horrible disaster, beyond repair. Instead of learning from their mistakes in XI, they let the guy who made Chrono Trigger start his own thing. CHRONO TRIGGER. A GREAT, ALBEIT OLD, SINGLE PLAYER SNES GAME. HE WAS IN CHARGE OF THE PROJECT. He "Stepped down" (was probably asked to step down), and someone else took over the project. Since then, there have been little improvements, but nothing big enough to repair the game. And it will never be repaired. What a joke. I hate SQUAREenix AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH

/RAGE
TerminalMontage

Postby ApaFox » July 24th, 2011, 10:55 pm

I guessin' I should lay out some of these questions, dood.

Hmmm... Guess VIII, mostly nostalgia. Before I ever finished VII, it was the earliest Final Fantasy game I've played, also got the the third disc. A personal accomplishment at the time, dood.

Character? Squall, at the time I thought he was cool. Didn't think he was a total dick, but there you go. Currently, Golbez. Points added for giving him a bitching voice for Dissidia.

The story's, dood.

-puts on hipster glasses- How main stream it's gotten, dood.

Dissidia anyone?
Yes please.

Not for it, but not against it either.

Do you love IX?
Never finished, but was good.

And...XIII? XIV? MMOs?
Never played, and never really got into the MMO's, dood.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Molly-sama » July 25th, 2011, 2:29 am

TerminalMontage wrote:RAGE

Wow. So...someone just like, fell into a coma, and months later they felt too bad to not release his game...? That really does sound just pathetic...

ApaFox wrote:Which was your favorite game/character(s)?
Character? Squall, at the time I thought he was cool. Didn't think he was a total dick, but there you go.

Yeah, I don't think Squall is awful, just kind of "meh" to me. Then again, perhaps that was the desired effect, lol.
Molly-sama

Next

Return to Video Games