Zelda General

Re: Zelda General

Postby RyoSoulreaper » December 28th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Piano-kun wrote:In regards to the official timeline, can someone please explain something to me? In the "Link defeats Ganon/Hero of Time is Successful" section of the OoT split, I'm kind of puzzled with The Wind Waker. I always thought that the reason why Hyrule was engulfed by water and the "Hero" titled was just carried to a tradition was because the previous Link had failed or disappeared? I'm just a little confused.

The split when he fails assumes Link from OoT is not the Hero of Time and Ganondorf defeats him as a child it could also assume that When Link as the Hero of Time meets him in the future Ganon successfully defeats him.

The Wind Waker Split is the Adult Line. It assumed Link only Stopped Ganondorf after he already took control of Hyrule. After he defeated Ganondorf though Zelda played the Song of Time and sent him back to being a kid in the Child Line(Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess) thus make him cease to exist in that timeline any more. His journey became a legend but since Link ceased to exist in that line the Hero Bloodline techncally stopped existing as well so When Ganon was revived, there was no one to stop him initially.

EDIT:
I'm tag teaming Adventure of Link and ALttP.
Then on to finishing Oracles and Awakening, then Minish cap. THEN I WILL HAVE FINISHED ALL BUT ONE ZELDA! FSA. It was sold before finishing.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Crystalbear » January 9th, 2012, 11:07 pm

...Well...

All of my Skyward Sword data just disappeared. I'm guessing my autistic brother did something to his Wii's data, and I honestly doubt I'll get any of it back... I actually feared on this happening.

I don't think I want to play SS anymore...

Edit: Nevermind... He just decided to move it all into the SD Card...
Crystalbear

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2012, 3:57 am

Hey, I can participate in this thread now! lol I just got Ocarina of Time, and I'm still in the deku tree, but it's really fun so far! :D Though my glasses don't seem to like the 3D from time to time. Eh. XD

I say "now I can participate," but I did play Link to the Past. When I was five. XD

Postby Seven Rain » January 13th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Wait, this is your first time playing OoT? :O
PREPARE FOR AMAZING... NESS. AMAZINGNESS!
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Wait, this is your first time playing OoT? :O

lol well, I played the beginning before, but I didn't get past the part in the tree when you have to jump down to get past the spider web. My brother's gamecube controller was a used POS that had a screwed up joystick that kept tilting everything to the left (on the plus side, it was very amusing to watch him play Zoids). XD But I kept juuust missing the gigantic hole in the floor. That didn't happen this time, lol.

Postby Crystalbear » January 13th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Yes, prepare for the amazingness of an overrated title that only serves to stretch the unrealistic expectations in older and new gamers alike, the title that shall forever be compared to old and new titles, leading to more fans who just don't know what they really want.

...Amazingness!!
Crystalbear

Postby RyoSoulreaper » January 13th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Crystalbear wrote:

Yes, prepare for the amazingness of an overrated title that only serves to stretch the unrealistic expectations in older and new gamers alike, the title that shall forever be compared to old and new titles, leading to more fans who just don't know what they really want.

...Amazingness!!

Never said the game was the end all be all Zelda.

Shit was a good game and set a standard fans tend to take as the one and only shining gem.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Afrohawkman » January 13th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Crystalbear wrote:

...Amazingness!!

I feel like you could apply that sentence to a lot of Zelda games if you want to be that negative about it...it's still a good game, regardless of how "overrated" it really is.
Afrohawkman

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:
Crystalbear wrote:

...Amazingness!!

I feel like you could apply that sentence to a lot of Zelda games if you want to be that negative about it...it's still a good game, regardless of how "overrated" it really is.

Or games in general. :\ I read that and thought, "Final Fantasy VII?" lol

Postby Seven Rain » January 13th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Crystalbear wrote:

...Amazingness!!

*EDIT*
Forget it. You take everything way too seriously and I'm not gonna add to that by being passive aggressive. Just do yourself a favor and lighten up.
Seven Rain

Postby Crystalbear » January 13th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Eh, what can I say. I'm a pretty sarcastic person.

I do find the good things in OoT though, and it is a good game in its own right. But I ain't taking it back.
Crystalbear

Postby Afrohawkman » January 13th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Well then I might as well toss in something I've been meaning to toss in for a while.

So the other day I finally, FINALLY trudged through Link's Awakening. You see I had never played it the first time when it came out, skipping over it and going straight to Seasons and Ages (I don't even know how I managed to miss Awakening, I just never played it) so when it got a release for the 3DS I immediately grabbed it. I did fairly well but could never figure out how to save by pressing the four buttons (L + R + Start + Select) because it's really hard to do on a 3DS due to their spacing so I used the normal "Head to the home screen and the game saves for you" tactic. Things went well until I got to the 6th dungeon and accidentally didn't go back to the home screen before saving. Needless to say, I lost everything after the second dungeon. It was...well, horrifying to say the least.

But recently I got back into and after finally beating it, I just have one question: what's so great about this game? I mean...I know I'm obviously biased from having to play it twice but after trudging through confusing side quests that actually had plot significance, tons of great but confusing cameos from other games, relatively uninspired dungeons with the classic "Use this tool like once and then you never use it again" mentality (which, to be fair, a lot of the older games suffered from so) and a lame "it was all a dream" ending...I don't know why it's just so revered. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad at all, it's a fairly good game, but it's just so...ugh. Like I feel like there was no payoff in the end. At least when I beat any of the other games I rescued someone; here, I fucking woke up.

I think that's probably my biggest problem. I love continuity and interesting plots but when the ending is, "It was all a dream" it just ruins the entire thing be it a game, movie, story...it's just a really bad way to end something. The whole, "Oh, he still did this all but the entire island just disappears because of it," is an even worse fate to think about too because then everyone disappears because of Link. It's either "live with monsters that don't even attack the village" or "entire island is gone/it was a dream". I mean...what?

Fuck...sorry for that little rant, I really had to get that off my chest. I just don't see why it's so amazing. I get why to some people it's a good game but as to why it's one of the best Zelda's...yeah I need some help there.
Afrohawkman

Postby Crystalbear » January 13th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:Well then I might as well toss in something I've been meaning to toss in for a while.

So the other day I finally, FINALLY trudged through Link's Awakening. You see I had never played it the first time when it came out, skipping over it and going straight to Seasons and Ages (I don't even know how I managed to miss Awakening, I just never played it) so when it got a release for the 3DS I immediately grabbed it. I did fairly well but could never figure out how to save by pressing the four buttons (L + R + Start + Select) because it's really hard to do on a 3DS due to their spacing so I used the normal "Head to the home screen and the game saves for you" tactic. Things went well until I got to the 6th dungeon and accidentally didn't go back to the home screen before saving. Needless to say, I lost everything after the second dungeon. It was...well, horrifying to say the least.

But recently I got back into and after finally beating it, I just have one question: what's so great about this game? I mean...I know I'm obviously biased from having to play it twice but after trudging through confusing side quests that actually had plot significance, tons of great but confusing cameos from other games, relatively uninspired dungeons with the classic "Use this tool like once and then you never use it again" mentality (which, to be fair, a lot of the older games suffered from so) and a lame "it was all a dream" ending...I don't know why it's just so revered. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad at all, it's a fairly good game, but it's just so...ugh. Like I feel like there was no payoff in the end. At least when I beat any of the other games I rescued someone; here, I fucking woke up.

I think that's probably my biggest problem. I love continuity and interesting plots but when the ending is, "It was all a dream" it just ruins the entire thing be it a game, movie, story...it's just a really bad way to end something. The whole, "Oh, he still did this all but the entire island just disappears because of it," is an even worse fate to think about too because then everyone disappears because of Link. It's either "live with monsters that don't even attack the village" or "entire island is gone/it was a dream". I mean...what?

Fuck...sorry for that little rant, I really had to get that off my chest. I just don't see why it's so amazing. I get why to some people it's a good game but as to why it's one of the best Zelda's...yeah I need some help there.

Link's Awakening is supposed to have that surprising twist, I think that's what really got a lot of people into it. The twist, along with the game's ending, made for a powerful impact. Though it obviously didn't have the same effect on you.

LA is more of a game that focuses more on the emotions that reality versus dream brings upon, and focuses on morals. There were actually players who argued amongst themselves whether to beat the game or not because they had grown so attached to its world and people. In that sense, LA is very different from most titles. And maybe that's one of the reasons why I love it so much, especially since it is more story-driven than anything else in the series, IMO. It's also one of the first games in the series that had character development to a degree.

As for its save system... It's an old game, so they didn't have much thought put into it. Honestly, LoZ, AoL and the original ALttP did not have very good save systems either. I had to die on purpose just to save in those, and I had a habit of doing that in LA with the exception of when I want to aim for the extra ending scene.

Lastly, the monsters don't really attack the towns in other Zelda games either. =P
Crystalbear

Postby Seven Rain » January 13th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:I just don't see why it's so amazing. I get why to some people it's a good game but as to why it's one of the best Zelda's...yeah I need some help there.

I think the simplest answer is that it was the first portable Zelda. I mean I can relate to you in my feelings of the first Zelda on NES. I didn't find it enjoyable or interesting because I played LttP and the GB games before finally trying my hand at the original 2D title. It was too plain for me to play for more than half an hour or so without losing interest, and yet it's loved by many. Why? It was the original. It was the first of it's kind, just as Link's Awakening was for the GB. As for me I enjoyed Oracle of Seasons more, but LADX still holds a special place in my heart. I guess you could call it nostalgia goggles if you wish.

Another thing is even though you were late to the party and have seen more interesting stuff in later games, it did bring some unique stuff to the Zelda series. The first inclusion of Roc's Feather, the platforming elements, the cool cross-overs, the temporary power-ups dropped by enemies, etc.

Hope that legitimately helps. I won't go into the subjective stuff, just trying to throw in my two cents on it's popularity.
Seven Rain

Postby Crystalbear » January 13th, 2012, 11:30 pm

I enjoy the 2D games more than the 3D ones to be honest... =|

I could go on that I sometimes feel that the 3D games made people dislike the 2D games, but I won't. I already have enough eyes glaring at me, rightfully so.

Edit: Oh I just remembered. LA actually helped to develop OoT. They stated before that if LA didn't exist or come earlier, OoT wouldn't be the same game we all know today. Though not many know that sadly...
Crystalbear

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games