Dragon Ball Z

Dragon Ball Z

Postby Seven Rain » September 4th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Guess we might as well have a DBZ thread by now, even if it doesn't stay alive for long, (but hey, you never know.)
If you grew up in the 90's, chances are you watched Dragon Ball Z and loved it with a passion. Toriyama brought a masterpiece into the world when he created the Dragon Ball series, and DBZ's amazing action and tension, fun characters and fantastic soundtrack captured the hearts and minds of many, many kids back in the glory days of Toonami.

Naturally such a fantastic and successful series spawned it's fair share of video games. More than that, it's spawned a ton of games, some dating all the way back to the NES.
The manga and anime aren't the only thing about the series to have an affect on the world, the massive catalog of games themselves have found a cozy place in many of our memories and collections. (I myself have played the hell out of nearly every DBZ game released since the first Budokai. Budokai 1-3, Tenkaichi 1-3, and Raging Blasts 1 and 2 have all stolen a fair share of my time and love over the years. <3)

Most notable for most people are of course the Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi fighting games that both began on the PS2, later moving to 7th Gen consoles under the titles Burst Limit and Raging Blast, respectively. The original Budokai games followed more traditional Tekken-style 3D fighting and were developed by a company called Dimps, while the Tenkaichi games, (developed by Spike,) invented and evolved a fighting system of there own, one that allowed you to fly around as you please, launching your opponents across the battlefield and blasting mountains and buildings in true Z fasion. They were effectively DBZ sims rather than fighting games, and became the de-facto DBZ fighters while Dimps took backseat.

Now, (sadly, ;__;) Spike is nearing the end of their run, and according to them their latest game will be their final DBZ game, and it seems Spike is going all out with it's alleged final video game entry in the franchise; Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi! (I know, the title is ridiculous, but it was chosen by fans, so yeah. Don't blame Spike.)
Indeed they're going all out with this one, putting much more effort into the story mode and visuals, as well as introducing some drastic, (and controversial,) new gameplay changes that if you ask me, do a much better job of capturing the look and feel of the series. Many complain about it for being scripted and riddled with small button prompts and "QTE"s, but personally I think it looks amazing. After all, I'm a DBZ fan. I play these games for the DBZ fights, not for a deep and complicated fighting system. I have Ark System Works games, Mortal Kombat and SSB for that.
One of the biggest new additions to the series in UT is the new Hero Mode, which is Spike's attempt at create-a-character, an attempt which I believe they've done an amazing job with from what we've seen so far. Especially considering it's their first venture into character creation.
*EDIT*
Ah! And let's not forget the return of free-roaming world map travel in story mode, (which you can see in the Hero Mode video below!)
I knew I was bound to forget something in piecing together this massive post, haha.

It's certainly refreshing enough to have peaked the interest of several forum members here, unlike the Raging Blast titles. (Which I must say I still absolutely loved.)
For those who haven't been keeping tabs, here are some videos to check out;
One of the early trailers, but the first to give us a decent look at the game. Also shows off one of the new additions to the series; Giant boss fights. Rather than scale down the giants and make them playable like they did in BT3, they're non-playable bosses in UT, though in doing this Spike was able to make the giants their true size, which is cool.
And another trailer. More of the same, but still fun to watch.
And since the trailers don't do the gameplay much justice, here's a video of some of the better gameplay out there, (better as in the players actually seemed to know what they're doing, at least compared to many of the other vids.) This is your best look at the infamous new gameplay in UT. Check it out and judge for yourself whether it's your cup of tea or not.
Here we have an interview on the game, which was actually a pretty good watch.
Last but certainly not least a more recent trailer showing off the Hero Mode.

Despite the complaints and bickering in the fanbase I couldn't be more excited for it, and honestly believe it'll live up to the "Ultimate" in it's title.

Now then moving on from that, it's time for the usual stuff. Just talk about whatever.
Favorite DBZ games, favorite moments, favorite gameplay systems, fond memories, fun stories, fun with friends, lost interest, etc.
Here's hoping we can keep a DBZ-related thread alive!
Seven Rain

Re: Dragon Ball Z

Postby Raging Ghost » September 4th, 2011, 5:57 pm

Can we include discussions related to Team Four Star's DBZ abridged series in this thread?
Raging Ghost

Postby Seven Rain » September 4th, 2011, 5:59 pm

It would be kinda out of place but nothing's stopping you, haha.
Perhaps someone should make a Dragon Ball general thread for TV & Movies in the future. I say if any anime deserves a thread in both sections, it's DB, but that may be personal bias speaking.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » September 4th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Agreed on Abridged being TV & Movies material. These forums are all pretty quiet, no harm in making another DBZ central.
eishiya

Postby RyoSoulreaper » September 4th, 2011, 6:03 pm

Ok so I loved DBZ as a kid. It was THE show I religiously watched. When Budokai came out on the GC I fell in love with it. I still like watching it and do miss my Budokai games.

Now for general hooplah:
Favorite character: Gohan(Teen but I like all of them) and Goten(Kid Goten)
Favorite Villain: Kid Buu.
Favorite Saga: Cell

That all I got.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby ApaFox » September 4th, 2011, 6:04 pm

I've stated before the the last DBZ game fully enjoyed was Budokai 3 on the PS2. I tried only some of the games after like Tenkaichi 1 and some of 3 and I never really liked it. It didn't quite have those cinematic finishers that was in the budokai games and all those throw away characters like Cui.

I mean, seriously, who whats to fight as Cui! The whole of the Ginuy force was pushing it, but freakin' Cui?!

Also, transforming was a bit awkward. Why work your way up the transformation ladder when you can just pick the character on the selection screen?

Anyway, I am interested in this new one though. Character creation is always interesting and it does looks cinematic.

EDIT:

RyoSoulreaper wrote:Favorite Villain: Kid Buu.

He had a bad ass finisher in Budokai 2 and 3, didn't he.
Last edited by ApaFox on September 4th, 2011, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » September 4th, 2011, 6:07 pm

eishiya wrote:Agreed on Abridged being TV & Movies material. These forums are all pretty quiet, no harm in making another DBZ central.

I feel obligated to do so, but I'm too lazy after finishing this one, haha.
I guess I'll craft one up some other time if no one else feels like doing one over there.

Probably best to make the TV & Movies thread about the series as a whole, though, not just Z.
Spoiler! :
I'd finally have a place to gush about how much more I love Dragon Ball now than when I saw it on Toonami~

ApaFox wrote:I mean, seriously, who whats to fight as Cui! The whole of the Ginuy force was pushing it, but freakin' Cui?!

Also, transforming was a bit awkward. Why work your way up the transformation ladder when you can just pick the character on the selection screen?

Both of these can be answered with the fact that some fans just love having as many options available as possible to recreate the show. Sure you can select a transformation on the character select screen, but where's the fun in that? ;D
I love picking a base character and transforming throughout the fight, and those throw-away characters and minions always make great cannon fodder for 1v5 team match slaughters, hehe. I love mowing down a bunch of Frieza's minions with Vegeta, just like the show.
Seven Rain

Postby RyoSoulreaper » September 4th, 2011, 6:13 pm

ApaFox wrote:
RyoSoulreaper wrote:Favorite Villain: Kid Buu.

He had a bad ass finisher in Budokai 2 and 3, didn't he.

Yeah he did.

He was also really fun to play with.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby ApaFox » September 4th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
ApaFox wrote:I mean, seriously, who whats to fight as Cui! The whole of the Ginuy force was pushing it, but freakin' Cui?!

Both of these can be answered with the fact that some fans just love having as many options available as possible to recreate the show. Sure you can select a transformation on the character select screen, but where's the fun in that? ;D
I love picking a base character and transforming throughout the fight, and those throw-away characters and minions always make great cannon fodder for 1v5 team match slaughters, hehe. I love mowing down a bunch of Frieza's minions with Vegeta, just like the show.

I do too, but transforming was still awkward for me. I guess I'm being a bit too stingy about it.

If there anything I did like about the Tenkaichi series is the attack struggles you could do, even with specials.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby TerminalMontage » September 4th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Everyday after middle school, Toonami. <3
TerminalMontage

Postby Raging Ghost » September 4th, 2011, 7:08 pm

I just got a thought.

If you choose 18's clothes in the character creator, wouldn't that make your character a girl or a hermaphrodite?
Raging Ghost

Postby Seven Rain » September 4th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Well if CAC is exclusive to male Saiyans, 18's attires likely won't be selectable at all.
Seven Rain

Postby Raging Ghost » September 4th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Well if CAC is exclusive to male Saiyans, 18's attires likely won't be selectable at all.

Not gonna lie, you may have a point.

Still, why do I feel like 17's attire is the closest thing to urban ninja clothing? Because I'm not really into martial artist attire and battle armors.
Raging Ghost

Postby ApaFox » September 4th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Raging Ghost wrote:Because I'm not really into ... battle armors.

B-b-but what about those skin tight shorts?
The Deviantart Image
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » September 4th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Raging Ghost wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Well if CAC is exclusive to male Saiyans, 18's attires likely won't be selectable at all.

Not gonna lie, you may have a point.

Still, why do I feel like 17's attire is the closest thing to urban ninja clothing? Because I'm not really into martial artist attire and battle armors.

Yeah, #17's outfit is probably the closest you'll get. Unless Spike adds in some original costumes that isn't from any of the real characters.
Seven Rain

Next

Return to Video Games