Music - distraction or aid while doing art?

Music - distraction or aid while doing art?

Postby redandblack64 » December 31st, 2013, 2:51 pm

I read the Animators Survival Kit, and this is sums up the author's stance on music:
Spoiler! :

That it is a distraction that diverts your attention.

But as for MY own answer, it's a yes and no, and it depends on what you're doing and how much concentration it requires. If it's something I'm either not comfortable with or am still learning, the no music rule applies, and the results are that I learn and improve faster at the harder stuff.

But if it's something that I'm comfortable with and if it's something that has requires certain mood or personality, specific songs with said mood or personality are perfect for this. I will not hesitate to listen to 80's/90's style electronic music (Bobby Brown, Micheal Jackson,Tony! Toni! Toné!, Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, Before and After the Sequel, Mighty Switch Force, La Roux, Daft Punk, and more need to be mentioned) when doing modern/furturistic urban cities, or orchestrated/classical music when trying for an epic feel, or Latin chill out/smooth jazz for warmer, laid back pieces, and so on.
redandblack64

Re: Music - distraction or aid while doing art?

Postby mosama » December 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm

I remember that bit from the animators guide its one of my favorite parts in the book! My art teachers used to tell me classical music opens up creative shit in your brain and is healthy for your art but I'm not about that life. Listening to music while drawing CAN be very distracting but if you do it enough then I guess you get used to it and it doesn't matter. I can see why listening to music can be bad and distracting but Its fun especially when animating that shit is tedious and you feel like killing yourself by the 100th frame.
mosama

Postby Vitotamito » January 7th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Classical music is excellent to work to. Anything really that's instrumental and you don't have to think about too much. Pink Floyd has also been studied as perfect work music.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby sanspants » January 20th, 2014, 7:53 pm

I write with music in the background. It helps distract enough of my brain to let me focus exactly on the words I'm using. It HAS to be music I've heard before, tho. Radio is right out.
Writer. Game designer.

There are no happy endings, because the story never ends.

mitchellbravo wrote:BETWEEN THE LOUD INFINITE ERA????
sanspants

Postby FourStringFingerSting » July 6th, 2014, 11:22 pm

I find it varies from person to person. I definitely like having music going when I'm working on my art. If it's something really important that I need to hunker down on and really focus for hours at a time, I'll usually just listen to instrumental music (more often than not video-game OSTs on Youtube), but if I'm just casually drawing or doing something that only requires base level attention like model drawing or just working on doodles, anything works. As far as classical music goes, I personally think some of it is distracting, but that's just me.
Check out my brand new book project on Gumroad, "This Is Jim!"
Also check out my garage punk band I Eat Stickfigures here!
FourStringFingerSting

Postby thexeternal » July 7th, 2014, 12:17 pm

It depends on what I'm doing, to be honest. If I'm drawing or writing something, and the music has words, I have to turn the music down low enough so my brain doesn't try and hone in on the lyrics instead of the task at hand lol.

If I'm inking or coloring something though, with the framework essentially already there, the pressure is off and I can sing or hum along till my heart is content!

So basically it boils down to how much I have to concentrate.
thexeternal

Postby xX-DragonFairy-Xx » July 7th, 2014, 1:33 pm

I find every OTHER noise waaaay more distracting than music, doors opening and closing, sirens going off outside, my brother on his xbox, my mom on the phone, white noise, ect. music help drown all of that out, and I have a certain playlist I listen too while drawing, so every song I've heard so many times that it just becomes bearable background noise.
xX-DragonFairy-Xx

Postby brphoennix » July 11th, 2014, 1:19 pm

When I'm writing, I need something without words, but when I'm drawing, I'll listen to just about anything. And not just music. Sometimes I'll just have a let's play going on in the background. If I don't have anything to listen to, I start to get kind of bored.
brphoennix

Postby Heidi » July 11th, 2014, 1:38 pm

I don't prefer to listen to music when drawing, but usually when I'm colouring or lining (which is a bit more mindless) I tend to listen to some songs
Heidi

Postby Spacepegasus » July 11th, 2014, 5:22 pm

The idea of being 1000% focused while animating... man, my brain would wither and die. Music is definitely an aid to me, I have play lists for all the long stories I've worked on to get into a mindset where I can write/draw/think about them. Music helps me organize my thoughts and get into the world, though I might sometimes turn it off when I really need to focus on something. Also singing along while working is the best.
Spacepegasus

Postby brphoennix » July 17th, 2014, 11:14 am

Spacepegasus wrote:The idea of being 1000% focused while animating... man, my brain would wither and die.

I suppose it depends on your mood at the time, and what medium you're working with.
brphoennix

Postby mraab » July 24th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Spacepegasus wrote:The idea of being 1000% focused while animating... man, my brain would wither and die.

I find that keeping music running while I'm drawing actually frees a portion of my brain to consider the artistic problems on the page intuitively rather than rationally. This can be very useful. Of course, I have also screwed up simple details while drawing because I wasn't paying close enough attention to what the damn pen was doing, but ultimately I need the music.
Last edited by mraab on July 24th, 2014, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mraab

Postby katakraos » July 24th, 2014, 1:13 pm

When I'm doing the pencils, the parts in which I have to think more, I prefer to work in silence, helps me to concentrate better.
But when I'm doing something in which I don't have to think so much, a more "mechanical" work, like inking or so, music helps me to keep the pace.
So, it depends on how you use it, I supposse.
katakraos

Postby mraab » January 22nd, 2015, 5:22 pm

I was going over old posts I've made here and came across this topic AT THE VERY TIME that "Soon" by My Bloody Valentine came on my ipod. I realized as I listened to this perfect, perfect song that music carries me through life, and if I didn't have it going PRETTY MUCH ALL THE TIME I would either a) die, or b) have to create my own soundtrack in my head, which would invariably be unintentionally hummed aloud (I've done this - it drives my wife nuts) and lacking in accurate lyrical content. BRING ON THE MUZIX!! ALL THE TIME, EVERY TIME!!!
mraab

Postby Oly-RRR » January 22nd, 2015, 5:55 pm

I think I'm in the camp of "not smart enough" people who find music distracting - I don't mind it when inking or colouring but sketching with music is really hard, I don't like it. But my problem is that often my own random thoughts are also distracting, upsetting and hard to ignore. Music doesn't help with them either but radio shows and podcasts, basically any human speech without a repetitive rhythm seem to do the job so far.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Next

Return to Music