Albums You Consider Works of Art

Albums You Consider Works of Art

Postby FourStringFingerSting » July 13th, 2014, 1:04 am

I don't necessarily mean your favorite album ever (although they very well can be). I'm talking about an album that speaks to you in an artistic sense, that cohesively forms a statement that you know wouldn't have the staying power if they tracks were all listened to separately instead of in sequence as they appear on the album. Maybe the album has a really powerful statement that you feel strongly about, or the music itself feels very artfully constructed (when I say artfully, I don't mean "floaty or airy" music necessarily, you could consider a power metal album to be artfully done) in your opinion.

Eels is a band that I've felt very closely connected to, both emotionally and spiritually ever since I first heard them growing up. This particular album always gets me. Electro-Shock Blues was written about the frontman's sister dying, and his journey through the grieving period, but the album is about life and death as a collective whole as well. This is without a doubt their darkest, most experimental album ever released, but it is certainly my favorite. Dark but playful tracks like Cancer for the Cure really stand out as a "descent into madness" kind of feeling, where the world feels so bizarre that you have to let yourself grow numb to it. There's also a lot of uplifting songs here too, such as Last Stop This Town and PS. You Rock My World (posted above), that remind us that despite how terrible death it, it's a fact of life and there's no sense wasting your life revolving around the fear of death, highlighted by the lyric "Watch how a careful man tries to dodge the bullets, but a happy man takes a walk."

I could go on and on about this album, but I'll cut it short there. It's certainly got staying power with me, and I could never imagine not having the whole album to listen to at my leisure. It's just too wholly fantastic to ever listen to in pieces.
Check out my brand new book project on Gumroad, "This Is Jim!"
Also check out my garage punk band I Eat Stickfigures here!
FourStringFingerSting

Re: Albums You Consider Works of Art

Postby Vitotamito » July 17th, 2014, 1:43 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6jb00PIt8[/youtube]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateralus

Easily the most perfect album EVER made. The whole thing is a work of art, and the fact that you can listen to it in a different order and get a different album... so cool!
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Seven Rain » July 17th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Honestly? Just like with games, movies, animation, etc. I believe every album is a work of art, as I more or less see art as any product of human creativity. It's just a matter of how much you like/dislike said work of art.
Seven Rain

Postby mraab » July 24th, 2014, 1:01 pm

BIG BLACK: Atomizer, but only if followed immediately by a three-song coda by the B-52s "Legal Tender", "Whammy Kiss", and "Song for a Future Generation". The tension that has been ratcheted up to inhuman levels by ATOMIZER can then be slowly released through the agency of Fred, Ricky, Keith, Kate and Cindy. Try it! You'll see just what I mean.
mraab

Postby Spacepegasus » July 31st, 2014, 1:57 pm

I love Eels! Electro Shock is possibly their best, a beautiful album.

I reckon all albums are "works of art" in that... music is art, so blah, but if it comes to good concept album style things or albums that are strong as a whole, I'll say In Absentia by Porcupine Tree and Hadestown by Anaïs Michell. One is a progressive metal album consisting of a bunch of thematically connected songs about people on the fringes of society, it's quite dark but in a really engaging way (note how the first track transitions into the second, damn) the other is a folk album reinterpreting the myth of Orpheus and Eurydicee with stuff about capitalism woven thoughout, because sure why not. Also Ayreon's albums are a huge sprawling scifi story about the birth and fall of the human and some other race that really speaks to the imagination.
Spacepegasus

Postby mraab » January 22nd, 2015, 5:33 pm

Discovered late by me, as usual, this is the alpha and the omega of shoegaze IMHO, and a GREAT work of art. After this, it was relatively pointless to for any other shoegazey band to continue, as it had all been said right here.

Here's some wikipedia info:
"Loveless is the second studio album by Irish shoegaze band My Bloody Valentine. Released on 4 November 1991, Loveless was recorded over a two-year period between 1989 and 1991 in nineteen recording studios. Lead vocalist and guitarist Kevin Shields dominated the recording process; he sought to achieve a particular sound for the record, making use of various techniques such as guitars strummed with a tremolo bar, sampled drum loops, and obscured vocals. A large number of engineers were used during the process, although the band did give credit on the album sleeve to anyone who was present during the recordings, "even if all they did was fix tea", according to Shields.[1] The recording of Loveless is rumoured to have cost £250,000, a figure that was alleged to have contributed to the bankruptcy of the band's record label Creation Records.

My Bloody Valentine's relationship with Creation Records deteriorated during the album's recording, and the band was removed from the label after the record's release due to the difficulty and expense of working with Shields. While Loveless did not achieve great commercial success, the album was well received by critics. Widely regarded as a landmark work of the shoegazing genre, the record has been cited as an influence on several artists, and by critics as one of the best albums of the 1990s.

Loveless was reissued as a two-disc CD set on Sony in May 2012, containing remastered editions of the original digital tape and a previously unreleased ½-inch analogue tape. The reissues placed in several international charts and in July 2013, Loveless was certified Silver in the United Kingdom by the British Phonographic Industry."

more info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loveless_(album)

mraab

Postby Oly-RRR » January 22nd, 2015, 5:49 pm

I'm just going to agree about Electro-Shock Blues. :) When I clicked on the title of the thread I was thinking "This is the album I'm going to name". It was there during my worst time and it was the only thing that sounded honest at the time, you don't forget that.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Sonic-ock » February 3rd, 2015, 6:48 pm

ImageImageImageImage
Sonic-ock

Postby lifewithaaron » March 21st, 2015, 12:45 pm

Enough said.

Check out my webcomic (yes, you can click on the image to get to it)
lifewithaaron

Postby Vitotamito » April 21st, 2015, 1:40 am

lifewithaaron wrote:Enough said.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpdzd9 ... shortfilms

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just more of a Discovery fan. And also, it's the one that got actually turned into a work of art!
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby mraab » May 4th, 2015, 4:38 pm

mraab

Postby mraab » June 2nd, 2015, 6:04 pm

mraab

Postby Zoonland » June 17th, 2015, 12:45 pm

I consider the 4-discs Skyrim soundtrack an amazing masterpiece. Perfect from the start till the end.

Zoonland

Postby Oly-RRR » June 19th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Though really with The Weakerthans for me it's a tie between Left and Leaving and Reconstruction Site, both albums are brilliant.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Vitotamito » October 13th, 2015, 12:45 am

Vitotamito

Next

Return to Music